Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting some rims for my 06 TSX. Something for my dark blue TSX (not sure what the actual "Acura" color is called).

Don't know too much about wheel brands so can someone break it down for me? What brands are good? Which are replicas?
I see alot of threads about Volk, BBS, etc...so I'm assuming that's the good stuff..
Which ones should I stay away from?
I rather pay for quality!

·
n/a
8,573 Posts
there are tons of rep wheels out there so it's kind of hard to name all of them... basically, reps are cheap while real ones are expensive. Volks, Works, BBS, Advans, SSR, Wedsports are pretty popular. 5zigen and Enkei are legit too but there more on the budget side.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Can't go wrong if you follow what mclovin posted. Just make sure your new wheels are lightweight and not too big like 22". 17-19" is generally the accepted range of wheel size for the TSX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so reps are bad quality?? like what makes a rep so garbage?

Have you guys ever heard of VIP Wheels, Euroklasse, ACE, or GP racing?
I never heard of them and I'm not sure if they're good. Are the reps?

·
n/a
8,573 Posts
Rep wheels aren't necessarily bad quality, there are some "legit" reps out there. XXR's, another recently popular one is varrstoen, or rotas to name a few. Although, Rotas are a love or hate thing. Basically, people grip about how rep wheels don't do their own R&D and take short cuts by copying wheel designs of the legit companies e.g. volks, works (being the most popular to copy). So quality, in comparison, aren't as good as the high end companies. And I have never heard of those companies you have listed.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
If you want a really good price lightweight rim with a legit price, get 17" x 7 kosei k1 rims, i have it on my car right now and i can literally lift them up with my pinky finger.

been having it on my car for over a year and a half and has been through many potholes and through 3 winter from the previous owner and still running strong without no issues.

Kosei K1 TS Silver Painted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help!..
I guess I still have quite a bit of research to do.. so many brands, styles, colors, etc.
and then there's size...
friend told me to get 18...he said "Why get 17's when your car already sits on 17 stock"

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Thanks for the help!..
I guess I still have quite a bit of research to do.. so many brands, styles, colors, etc.
and then there's size...
friend told me to get 18...he said "Why get 17's when your car already sits on 17 stock"
18 looks the best with the TSX, but if you want the lightest possible weight, you may want to stick with 17, the tires are cheaper too compared to 18. i would say if you want to save some gas mileage and gain more performance out of your car, get 17. 18 and over has no benefit other than for the looks(unless your car is running over 400 HP), so with all that being said, what do you value more, performance or looks?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
How does performance decrease with a bigger wheel? Gas mileage too?
Bigger wheel and tire = more rotational mass

TSX OEM wheels are like 22lbs each so try to find something at least under 20lbs.

·
四世
1,767 Posts
I believe the color code is RBP = Royal Blue Pearl. Here's the color-specific thread: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-image-gallery/24140-color-specific-picture-threads-gen-1-menu.html

Depending on what size wheel you get, you're gunna be paying more like LeeMaster stated. If you're going for looks (form), then I would suggest going with 18x8 or 18x8.5 with a +30 to +40 offset. This will give you a nice 'flush' look. If you want more of a functional wheel and are less interested in looks then go with smaller wheels.

In terms of brands, Volk, Advan and BBS wheels are top of the line stuff. You're looking at almost 600-900 per wheel. My personal favorite brand is Work. The wheels look really nice, great offsets and not too expensive (about 350 per wheel).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the tips guys...I'll stay away from reps...
probably look for some 18's for the nicer look..
I guess if GP racing are reps, VIP Wheels are probably reps too...
Just knew someone who could get it for cheaper, but it ain't worth it to me if its going to be crap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts