Acura TSX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
As I think about it, I wonder why if it works for one if it doesn't work for the other... Using a washer should space it out if you need to move the Caliper outward for a larger rotor.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Using washers will just move the caliper more inward making the problem worse. Only way is to shave down the bracket but then there's the safety aspect that must be considered when doing this.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hmmm maybe I'm not understanding this bracket yall are talking about putting washers at the base of the stud/Caliper moves mine outward. I did this in the beginning and checked after some miles and my pad showed it was not fully covering the rotor surface. The pad had about a washer worth of Un touched area. I removed the washer and have had even wear since.

I don't agree with the fastbrakes bracket using bolts to hold the Caliper, it's too short and seems like a cheap cut. The one Paul made uses what I believe to be head studs that were screwed into the aluminum bracket, for the Caliper to slide down with a threaded nut holding it together.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The thickness of the RL caliper should be the same which means that all RL calipers should fit the exact same rotor. If all RL calipers are the same then the bracket offset mixed with the rotor offset is the issue. I am wondering if the reason people can fit 12.6 vs 12.8 is the thickness not the diameter.

In my integra (RIP STOLEN) I ran NSX calipers and even though the ITR had the same size rotors I had to run Mini rotors because of the hat rotor offset. I tried the ITR rotors and I couldn't even move the car because the rotors were against the brake pads. BTW this was NSX calipers, ITR pads (same size) and Mini rotors. So it is possible the issue is the offset of the rotor on the TSX not the diameter.

·
My car whines
637 Posts
Alright so a little update... I managed to get a complete steering knuckle complete with abs sensor from a 2008 tsx for $50 at a junkyard. My front left abs sensor just crapped out on me and the 10mm bolt that holds it broke off in the knuckle so i'll probably just swap the knuckles when I do the caliper swap.

I have everything bolted on and it appears that the caliper is centered correctly on the 12.8" rotor. The clearances are super tight but I think that's expected with the thicker rotor. The real test will be when I have everything torqued to spec and on the car but for now it doesn't look like there are any clearance issues...

This is with the FFC bracket and 12.8" rotor from 350z with brembo brakes

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alright so a little update... I managed to get a complete steering knuckle complete with abs sensor from a 2008 tsx for $50 at a junkyard. My front left abs sensor just crapped out on me and the 10mm bolt that holds it broke off in the knuckle so i'll probably just swap the knuckles when I do the caliper swap.

I have everything bolted on and it appears that the caliper is centered correctly on the 12.8" rotor. The clearances are super tight but I think that's expected with the thicker rotor. The real test will be when I have everything torqued to spec and on the car but for now it doesn't look like there are any clearance issues...

This is with the FFC bracket and 12.8" rotor from 350z with brembo brakes

Great information and pics. I hope it works out just fine.

Where did you purchase your rotors? Curious as maybe there are minute differences between manufacturers also causing fitment issues. Thanks!

·
My car whines
637 Posts
I got my rotors from CAPS here in Ottawa and were $106 for the set. The listed part number is 31395. Not sure on the manufacturer because all it says on the box is "Quality automotive products" and "bestbuy auto parts".

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a fastbrakes kit and am using 350Z non brembo package (12.6") rotors on my 1G. If you want to use 12.8" rotors, you need about a 2 or 3mm spacer behind the rotor to increase the "offset".

I wouldn't use RL brakes on the track. But they look nice and work fine for the street. The bolt length is a little sketchy. But mine have held up for 2 years. I think I will revise the bolt length eventually, and make a rotor spacer to use 12.8" rotors.

The pad sticks up a little over the 12.6" rotors and I get a lot of brake squeal with cold/wet pads.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I have a fastbrakes kit and am using 350Z non brembo package (12.6") rotors on my 1G. If you want to use 12.8" rotors, you need about a 2 or 3mm spacer behind the rotor to increase the "offset".

I wouldn't use RL brakes on the track. But they look nice and work fine for the street. The bolt length is a little sketchy. But mine have held up for 2 years. I think I will revise the bolt length eventually, and make a rotor spacer to use 12.8" rotors.

The pad sticks up a little over the 12.6" rotors and I get a lot of brake squeal with cold/wet pads.
The Fastbrakes brackets are made for use with Maxima rotors. Putting a spacer behind the rotor could affect runout. I'd avoid that at all costs.

The RL calipers are fine for use on the track. The bolts are currently being evaluated by FB (because I emailed them...nobody else here seemed to think that was as important as posting about it). Just the same, longer bolts can be sourced pretty easily if you don't want to wait for them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am for sure using 350Z rotors for my FB kit. The kit I bought was described on their site to use 350Z 12.8" rotors. 12.8's didn't fit for me due to hat offset being 3mm too low. I found that non-brembo Z's use 12.6" rotors with like 2 or 3mm more offset. They fit right in the center of the caliper. Maybe they're shared with Maximas?

I contacted them to tell them 12.8 brembo package 350Z rotors dont work. They told me they work on some cars and don't on others...and they didn't know why. They told me to just stick with the 12.6" rotors. Soon after...I did not see the TSX RL kit listed on their site anymore?

The bolts can only be incrementally longer than the provided bolts.

The pedal feel is why I would be apprehensive to use RL calipers on the track. Bigger pistons mean more motion as well as more force. The pedal is not as solid and predictable as stock. Its not a terrible tragedy. But stock calipers with track pads would keep a better F/R brake split, and provide better pedal feel. Stock calipers also provide better initial bite because of the faster pedal gain.

Are track pads available for the RL setup? I was hoping to find an intermediate pad (Stoptech SP), but had no luck. I am using Powerstop Z23's. They're great pads. But I wish they had more bite like the stoptech.

Is there a larger brake MC available that fits the TSX? One with slightly better F/R bias? The stock 1G brakes seem very front biased. The 600% piston area increase of the RL calipers makes them more front biased.

It kinda feels like 2G's have way better brakes (feel/balance) than the 1G.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Fastbrakes brackets are made for use with Maxima rotors. Putting a spacer behind the rotor could affect runout. I'd avoid that at all costs.

The RL calipers are fine for use on the track. The bolts are currently being evaluated by FB (because I emailed them...nobody else here seemed to think that was as important as posting about it). Just the same, longer bolts can be sourced pretty easily if you don't want to wait for them.
Which bolts work if you want longer ones? I assume there is an OEM part number?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Which bolts work if you want longer ones? I assume there is an OEM part number?
No OEM part number that I know of. You need class 10.9 bolts that are about 5mm longer than the fastbrakes kit has.

Idk. There were quite a few shortcomings on the fastbrakes kit. I have my brand new 12.8' rotors still sitting in the garage that I can't use lol. I did the RL swap because my stock front brakes pulsated, regardless of what pads I used. I went all the way up to stoptech SP. I wasn't going to go more agressive than that for street brakes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the FFC brackets but If there were OEM bolts that would work I would be happy to keep that as a reference. I did a bolt swap on my GSR when I did the NSX brake upgrade and used OEM bolts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I haven't even installed this kit in my daily yet, but I'm going to use my stock TSX caliper bolts. They just have to be cut down a few mm.

Managed to grab the fastbrakes rear big brake kit to help with the brake bias.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So I finally got around to installing the kit, a few things had to be revised though. I've put about 800 miles on the setup without any issues, minus a little brake noise in slow speed pedal application( like coming to a stop sign) which I'm going to figure out.

I'll update the thread with pics and measurements in a day or two.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you end up with the brembo 350z rotor working out or did you have to go with the 12.6? I heard some people saying the FFC bracket CAN run the Brembo but the Fastbrake bracket needed the 12.6

41 - 60 of 66 Posts