Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back yesterday afternoon from visiting my parents near Gainesville, FL, which is about 370 miles from Columbia, SC, where I live. I have a few observations about the TSX on this first trip of any length that I have taken in it:

1. Gas mileage averaged 32.5 MPG, with about 75% interstate and 25% urban/suburban. I have no complaints about that.

2. The handling and overall performance of the car are great. I never felt I lacked for power and it manuvered crisply on quick turns I had to make on the interstate to avoid various objects, other cars, etc.

3. The navigation system is wonderful. I had to take my mother to a doctor's appointment in Gainesville where neither she nor I had been. The navigation system directed us right to the door.

4. One complaint is that while the seats are very form-fitting and comfortable as far as seating position is concerned, after about 150 miles of driving on cruise control on the interstate, my "left butt" and upper leg began to ache. I had to stop to walk around for awhile. Perhaps this is due to the firmness of the seating that doesn't have much downward cushioning. This is a little disconcerting because I will be having to make this trip more often in the future.

5. The other complaint is the result of the trade-off for the good handling we have in this car. On rough/broken patches of road, temporary road sections around construction, misaligned bridge and road joints (all of which there are plenty on I-95), the stiff suspension can be very jolting. Several times it felt like I was holding on to a jack hammer those rippling sections of temporary road. As I said, though, this is the trade-off for wonderful handling.

All in all, the car performed beautifully and showed itself to be worthy of what we have paid for it.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Thanks for the write up!
I know what you are saying about the seats, as I was spoiled with the seats of the 04 TL before buying my TSX.
As with the suspension, I am happy to make the trade off for the better handling, and more fun to drive TSX. ;) :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Nice write-up! As to the negatives: I agree about those jolts on bad bumps. I've noted that myself. If there were one thing I could improve about the TSX, it would be that. By the way, it's hardly better (if at all) on the TL. I had been expecting a notable improvement, but there isn't.

(Do you agree, Joker?)

About the seating discomfort after a couple of hours with cruise control: I virtually never use cruise control (haven't used it yet in the TSX except once for a moment just for the heck of it), so I can't really relate to it.

What do you think it had to do with using cruise control? Do you mean that you sit more firmly down on the seat?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, about the cruise control, I was just referring to driving on boring interstates for long periods of time. I do use cruise control on these occasions. I didn't mean that the cruise control caused the problem, only that after continuous driving for some time I noticed the "pain in the butt" that I referred to. I'm not sure if it is the firmness of the cushioning or something else. I only know what I felt.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Seat comfort is a very individual thing (of course). There's been a pretty wide range of opinion on the TSX seats, although tending toward the positive. I find it maybe the most comfortable and "healthy" feeling seat I've ever had.

I thought maybe you meant something about the subtly different positioning when you're using cruise control -- and maybe it really is??

In any event.... as to how well the seat "wears" on an extended trip, I find just the opposite -- the longer the trip, the most I appreciate it. Recently I rented an Infiniti G35 for a few days, and at first I was bowled over by the seat. But after about 20 minutes I was missing the TSX seat -- the firmness, solidity, and support.

Yes, it's very individual.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I'm suprised so many people think the tsx is jolting over bad roads. I'd hate to see what you guys think of a car with stiffer suspension and low profile tires :shock:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Joker said:
You'll never hear those words out of my mouth Tony ;)
lol I havea no doubt. I bet even with the mugen susp. it's not that bad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
DSM said:
I got back yesterday afternoon from visiting my parents near Gainesville, FL, which is about 370 miles from Columbia, SC, where I live. I have a few observations about the TSX on this first trip of any length that I have taken in it:

1. Gas mileage averaged 32.5 MPG, with about 75% interstate and 25% urban/suburban. I have no complaints about that.
Was that with the AC ON or OFF? If ON approx what % of time?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
BTW it seems that on the TSX, the A/C makes amazingly little difference for the MPG. As far as I know, that's been the observation of everybody who has ever posted anything specific on this.

Indeed it would be interesting to know if DSM had it on, and how much of the time. But probably it was very little of a factor. I'd say it might have made a difference of 1-2 mpg, tops.

A "fly in the ointment" about this is that to some extent we're not comparing apples to apples, because for the most part what we're comparing is:

(1) A/C on, windows closed
(2) A/C off, windows open

Right? And with the windows open, you get wind drag (don't know if that's the right term, if it isn't I hope someone will say so). I don't know exactly how much of a factor THAT is, but it's gotta be a factor -- I mean, you can feel it.

In my experience with the TSX, the A/C doesn't make any definite measurable difference at all -- maybe 5% if anything (which would be 1-2 mpg), and I haven't been able to detect for sure that it's anything at all. But yes, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O. W. Kone said:
Was that with the AC ON or OFF? If ON approx what % of time?
I always keep the AC system set to auto mode and the temperature in the car set to 75 degrees.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
One thing that helps achy butt syndrome is to tilt the front of the seat up (and the rear back) so that the bottom of your thigh is supported. If it isn't, achy butt. If it is, no or less achy butt.

Don't know if you know that or do that and got achy butt anyway.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I get achy sometimes just going short distances. May be it has something to do with old age..... As far as the cruise and a/c go. I use it alot around Dallas/Ft worth. It seems to give me better gas mileages than when I don't use it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
johnej said:
I get achy sometimes just going short distances. May be it has something to do with old age..... As far as the cruise and a/c go. I use it alot around Dallas/Ft worth. It seems to give me better gas mileages than when I don't use it.
Yes, it may be about old age. I do try to tilt the front of the seat up somewhat and the rear down, but if I do it too far it hurts my leg at the seat edge. I think it may have to do with just staying in one position for too long a time on firm seats. I guess I'll just have to stop at every rest stop on the interstate and walk around for a little while.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
larchmont said:
In my experience with the TSX, the A/C doesn't make any definite measurable difference at all -- maybe 5% if anything (which would be 1-2 mpg), and I haven't been able to detect for sure that it's anything at all. But yes, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.
I'm not sure about MPG figures, but does anyone else notice drop in power with AC on?

I definitely can feel the difference. It's not much but still noticeable.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
I'm not sure about MPG figures, but does anyone else notice drop in power with AC on?
I can't say that I have, as my AC is always on :laugh:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:

I definitely can feel the difference. It's not much but still noticeable.
Absolutely.

An old habit that I developed was to quickly flick off the A/C just before I wanted extra power. Actually it was all in one motion -- I would get a kick out of the mild athleticism of it. :D

Once I noticed that the TSX's efficiency wasn't much affected by the A/C, I figured that must mean the power wasn't much affected either, so I made myself stop doing that old habit. But very soon I found out that the power was indeed noticeably affected, and I resumed the old "flick off" technique.

Larchmont, who has often been told to flick off. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts