Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out my rotors for some unknown reason... and on the driver side front rotor, I found this groove that runs around my rotor...

Will that cause any problems?
I think I'm going to take my car in next week and have it checked out along with the "warping" feel that I've been experiencing.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
That definitely looks like some unusual wear on your rotor. If your brakes are warped, they will have to face the rotor, which will solve the grove. I would also take a look at your pads. Let us know how it goes.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If only I have a jack... I'll definitely post my findings when I take it in. I'm actually kinda hoping they'd replace my rotors and pads under warranty, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Are your brakes squealing? I'd imagine you would be able to hear a groove like that being made. Also, how many miles on your pads?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Unfortunately, this is pretty common. How many miles do you currently have on it?

The biggest problem with my old '89 SE-i were the brakes. I swear I must have turned those rotors almost every 15K miles and went through about 5 sets over its lifetime.

The wife's '93 SE are significantly better. As a matter a fact, I was driving it the other day and could feel some serious warpage in the front.

Based on previous experience, I always had the rotor turned each time the pads were changed and whenever they warped. It's a controversial subject as to whether or not to have this done and I'm sure there will be many opionions on the subject.

But once the rotors are warped, there is little else you can do. On the bright side, assuming they only turn the rotors by about .005"-.015", they can tolerate about 6 or more turns before they need replacing.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just hit 9300 miles last night. About 1k miles into my car, I did hear violent screeching...like a large/heavy piece of steel being dragged on a steel floor. Then I stopped hearing it for awhile and it's only happened twice a few weeks ago when I had my wheel turned all the way right when braking.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Agreed, this sounds far more serious!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I've gotta leave my baby there for a day :(

Thanks guys.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Now I've gotta leave my baby there for a day :(

Thanks guys.

Hey I just noticed you got yours about 5 days after mine. ;)

But on the bright side you make get a new RL loaner, at least ask for it?;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hip said:
Hey I just noticed you got yours about 5 days after mine. ;)

But on the bright side you make get a new RL loaner, at least ask for it?;)
Hey...our cars might have come off the same boat. Hmmm...I never realized, but our cars are "FOB Asians" :p

The new RL aren't for sale yet are they? If not, I'll ask for a new TL loaner :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
The new RL aren't for sale yet are they? If not, I'll ask for a new TL loaner :D
That would be awesome! My dealer has two TSX's, and two RSX's for loaners. All of which I have been loaned at one point or another :p

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long does it take to resurface a rotor or replace a rotor? Think this problem can be fixed in 2.5 hours?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
How long does it take to resurface a rotor or replace a rotor? Think this problem can be fixed in 2.5 hours?
Easily, unless they have changed, Honda rotors need to be machined on the vehicle, so there is no downtime for R & R.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hip said:
Easily, unless they have changed, Honda rotors need to be machined on the vehicle, so there is no downtime for R & R.
Kewl...replied just in time :)
I'm taking off in a few minutes here...dealership ran out of loaners and just told me to bring it in. So hopefully I won't have to make another trip back...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts