Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys noticed a pretty rough idle when the AC is engaged, and it seems to get even rougher when standing and engine fan kicks in?

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
Yeah,

I sometimes notice a slightly rougher idle when the ac is on. I'll talk to the computer and say "A/C on" and feel the fan and condensor kick in. I haven't noticed a parasitic power loss yet though. I have heard from other people that the engine idles a bit rough but I think it is becuase the car is so smooth that any shaking or vibrations seem out of the ordinary. My 2000 Civic Si idled a bit rough all the time but because the car was so loud I never really noticed it that much. Also the car is a 4 cyl. and they tend to idle a bit rougher I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. :buttkick:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
how new is your TSX ?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It is drawing significant power but not exactly causing a rough idle. And yes, you do lose power when you have all the electrics/options working at the same time when you want to put the pedal to the metal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My TSX is 3 weeks old, it's a 05 MT. I have 3,000 miles on it. Normally, when all the accessories are on a car is supposed to advance the ignition timing and raise the idle a bit to compensate. Mine just seems to start missing when the fan comes on and it's worse when the AC and engine fan comes on. The dealer just says that's normal.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
05 TSX..... I am experiencing rougher idle than a yr ago.

Possible problem?
oh...only when Engine is cold....when it's warm it gets better, but still a lil bit rougher than before.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i got an 04 tsx when the ac is on i feel a slight vibration when am a compelete stop. if u shift to N the engine will idle up a little and the vibration will be gone but when its in D there is a slight vibration. and i'm not sure if its just me but when the AC is on sometime i feel the power loss and sometimes i don't not sure why.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Zakaria103 said:
i'm not sure if its just me but when the AC is on sometime i feel the power loss and sometimes i don't not sure why.
The A/C isn't on all the time, even though the button is on. The A/C clutch engages/disengages the compressor as needed (for example, when your desired temperature is higher than the ambient temperature). The A/C system cools the air until it reaches your desired temperature. It then stops cooling the air, and once it goes above your desired temperature, it turns back on again. Thus, it's oscillating, and you'll only notice it half the time

·
Registered
273 Posts
Actually, the A/C compressor runs until the 134 fluid reaches 32 deg coming out of the expansion valve as measured by pressure. Then it shuts down until the pressure gets back up to about 40 equivalent. The amount of time this takes depends on the incoming air temperature and humidity. The system thus maintains an output temperature of 35 to 40. If the interior temperature of the car is low enough, the system then reheats the air to maintain the proper car temperature. This is why it's so nice inside the car on cool damp days. The A/C has removed the humidity from the air and then reheated it. The compressor takes power to do it's job and this power comes from the engine. You are probably feeling that as a slight roughness at idle as the engine works a bit harder. Turning on an electrical load (a kilowatt sterio for example or the A/C radiator fans) will also add load to the engine to turn the alternator. Sometimes you can feel this also. The engine computor will add mixture to keep the idle speed constant. If there is actual missing when this happens, the check engine light will be on soon.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My car has slight vibration even when I am driving. It only happens with A/C on
If I turn the A/C off then it's fine. So is there way to fix this? Is this consider a problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My car has slight vibration even when I am driving. It only happens with A/C on
If I turn the A/C off then it's fine. So is there way to fix this? Is this consider a problem?
My Accord Euro does this too. I am trying to work out what the problem is. It's really annoying. You can feel the sudden change while driving with the A/C on and as soon as you turn off the A/C the car feels smoother. I'm also feeling the vibration in both the gas and brake pedals as the A/C cycles on and off.
As above, is this a problem and does anyone know what's causing this?

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
Its common on most Honda's even if they are brand new to feel a little bit of a rough idle. All 4Cylinder Honda's I have driven and owned share this symptom but once you are driving, you shouldn't feel it. If you do, I would consider checking your engine mounts to make sure they are still intact and not cracked from wear/tear.

My Dad's 2002 buick century 3.1L V6 does not have a rough idle with the A/C on. Must just be a Honda 4 Cylinder thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts