Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten a low rumbling or rattling noise coming from the passenger side dash or somewhere behind the glove compartment when driving above 60 mph. This only happens when I go above that speed and the sound disappears (so i think) as soon as I go below 60. Any insight on what could be causing this?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, join the club. I don't have rattles (not now, anyway), but I did for a while -- in the area of the CD/radio, just briefly, after I had some work done in there -- and many TSX's have had rattles, coming from just about anywhere. The exact area that you mention isn't one of the most common sources, but it has happened. As to the cause, it seems safe to say that the fit of something in there isn't perfect. However, tracking it down isn't always that easy. It does seem that most people who have taken their cars in for rattles have had the problem solved, although sometimes it takes more than just a day and sometimes also it requires more than one try.

Polls on the TSX sites have seemed to show that most TSX's have had some rattle problem. Whether that's totally accurate or whether more people with rattles just tend to vote, we don't know for sure. But it's clear that the problem is very widespread in TSX's. I have the impression, however, that the problem is getting less and less prevalent in the newer TSX's that are coming out. (When did you get yours?)

There have been numerous threads about this, here as well as on other sites. Here is a search that turns up a lot of those threads on this site. (A couple of these search results aren't about rattles but most of them are.)

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/searc...id=17629&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I've had a rattle coming from the windsheild of the passenger side... It was coming from the plastic piece on the outside of the car touching the windshield. It only happens when the temp drops below 50 degrees... It dissapeared by itself though... Sound familiar with your problem?

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
I had a hi-frequency rattle that was sporadic. And seemed to be from that general vicinity. Thought it was cowl. Pushed and pressed, no pop, still rattle.

Turned out to be because I have sunglasses in case in overhead holder. The flap, with snap, was open and buzzing against the interior of the holder. Snapped flap, rattle fixed.

Whew.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hmm..if its coming from the glove compartment, could it be the filter that resides in that area? Maybe it's loose or something?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TSX 'R' US said:
Hmm..if its coming from the glove compartment, could it be the filter that resides in that area? Maybe it's loose or something?
What filter are you referring to? I'll take it in to have them look at it. Just hope they won't tell me "it's normal" or anything along those lines.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Strifez said:
What filter are you referring to?
That filter would be the cabin filter. It filters the air coming through the vents. It resides right behind the glove compartment.

But since your car's problem is speed related, I somewhat doubt that's the source of the problem.

I believe other people have experienced similar "rumblings" behind the glove compartment at certain speeds (actually RPMs). It was concluded that the problem was actually VTEC (I-VTEC in TSX's case) kicking in at certain RPM and that it was perfectly normal. I do hope this is the case for you.

Does this happen everytime you go above 60 MPH? What RPM is it usually when you start hearing the noise?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatchamacallit said:

Does this happen everytime you go above 60 MPH? What RPM is it usually when you start hearing the noise?
It happens everytime I go above 60. The loudness of the sound varies though. I have an 5peed automatic and the rpms is usually at 3-4k at that speed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Strifez said:
It happens everytime I go above 60. The loudness of the sound varies though. I have an 5peed automatic and the rpms is usually at 3-4k at that speed.
Do you have a body kit? I had the same rumbling sound you are describing and it turned out to be a loose kit connection (I diagnosed, dealer could not replicate).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
miner said:
Do you have a body kit? I had the same rumbling sound you are describing and it turned out to be a loose kit connection (I diagnosed, dealer could not replicate).
I do have a body kit on mine, but everything seems to be tightly connected.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Strifez said:
I do have a body kit on mine, but everything seems to be tightly connected.

The dealer thought mine was tight too until I got under the car and started my own investigation. There are brackets that go from the kit to under the car. They are held in place by nylon pins. My pin did not fit tightly and when traveling at a high rate of speed (+60) wind would work loose the pin and cause a rumbling noise (the bracket pounding against the bottom of the car). In fact, my dealer said he would put a TSB out on it. At least give it a check-out. For my temp fix until the dealer got a new pin, I placed a space between the bracket & bottom of the car to take the slack out of the loose pin. I had the same EXACT noise you are describing until I did this fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
miner said:
The dealer thought mine was tight too until I got under the car and started my own investigation. There are brackets that go from the kit to under the car. They are held in place by nylon pins. My pin did not fit tightly and when traveling at a high rate of speed (+60) wind would work loose the pin and cause a rumbling noise (the bracket pounding against the bottom of the car). In fact, my dealer said he would put a TSB out on it. At least give it a check-out. For my temp fix until the dealer got a new pin, I placed a space between the bracket & bottom of the car to take the slack out of the loose pin. I had the same EXACT noise you are describing until I did this fix. Good luck.
I'll take a 2nd look. The sound today was much quieter (but still can be heard) so maybe the wind had some sort of effect on the body kit. It's strange how the sound can be only be heard near the passenger dash (behind the glove box?) My first guess would be something loose (heatshield?)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Strifez said:
I'll take a 2nd look. The sound today was much quieter (but still can be heard) so maybe the wind had some sort of effect on the body kit. It's strange how the sound can be only be heard near the passenger dash (behind the glove box?) My first guess would be something loose (heatshield?)
Any luck - do you have an update?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Strifez said:
Took it to the dealership and they said it was a loose rocker panel (passenger side). Took them about 3 hours, but no more rattling sound (yes!).
Good to hear it was fixed - loose rocker panel the same as the side spoiler? I am trying to picture where the rocker panel would be in relation to the side spoiler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.