Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did the rustproofing of my '09 TSX. The car was bought last spring, it never had any rust proofing of any kind.
I've always done this myself, I have the right equipment to do it (spray gun, nozzles, etc) it's a messy job but I know it's done right.

Anyway, just a heads up on a potential rust problem area on the 2nd generation TSX. The forward part of the rocker panels, immediately aft of the each front wheels, is a semi enclosed area. I realized this when I tried to shoot the rust proofing stuff in the rocker panels, my nozzle wouldn't reach forward in that zone.

I removed the lower fastener on the interior plastic fender, only to find that this area was PACKED with dirt. There is a small water drain in that area, but it was definitely plugged. I scraped a LOT of moist dirt from that little spot, blew the place clean with the air gun, then sprayed the inside with the greasy stuff. My guess is a couple years at the most like that, and it would have rusted through.

Here's a picture that shows where I'm talking about. This is not my car, just a picture I grabbed on the web, I've added red color to show the problem area.

I would recommend to remove the lower plastic fastener like I did and check that spot once in a while, remove any dirt as necessary, make sure the tiny water drain is open, and simply spray some grease in there.

·
FG2 to CU2
237 Posts
Mine has rust in that area too, both sides.

I've been spraying liquid silicone into the crack with the straw every now and then. Didn't know there was a way to take it off tho. Thanks for the neads up. Will have to look into it and clean the area off with some rust eater next time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was just about to post and ask whether the sunroof drains were near this area or anything else I should know about. Mine are getting bad, particularly on the drivers side. I'll take them apart and clean them asap. Maybe I can get a body shop to clean that area up and re-paint for not too much money.

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts