Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of performance and handling which provides the best option? All I know is that most off-road vehicles are AWD.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I don't believe there is such thing as a best option on whatever drivetrain. All drivetrain layouts require different level of skills and experience to control and handle. Ultimately, it's what you're comfortable with and has best control/understanding over.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noel said:
I don't believe there is such thing as a best option on whatever drivetrain. All drivetrain layouts require different level of skills and experience to control and handle. Ultimately, it's what you're comfortable with and has best control/understanding over.
Why is then said that true sportscar are RWD as I find in most car reviews

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can't give you an honest opinion here, I have only owned FWD and AWD vehicles (no RWD)

But, go to a BMW (RWD) dealer drive a 530i, then go drive the Acura TL (FWD), and then the Acura RL (AWD) and you will probably come to the conclusion that the RWD 530i has the best handling. I don't know why that is, but that is how I felt.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
justsomeboi said:
Why is then said that true sportscar are RWD as I find in most car reviews
I knew someone would just bring this one up. Which I highly disagree BTW. An FR is considered a true sportscar because of the engine layout and where the power and steering controls are adapted. 2 wheels to steer the car, 2 wheels to power the car.

To me, there's no perfect layout. Once again, what you're comfortable with. Power output and handling dynamics go hand in hand with drivetrain to obtain that "good" all round agreement by most.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vp911 said:
I can't give you an honest opinion here, I have only owned FWD and AWD vehicles (no RWD)

But, go to a BMW (RWD) dealer drive a 530i, then go drive the Acura TL (FWD), and then the Acura RL (AWD) and you will probably come to the conclusion that the RWD 530i has the best handling. I don't know why that is, but that is how I felt.
But suspension could have came into play also!

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I must admit that I am somewhat biased toward the RWD setup, but allow me to explain why - so you won't think I'm making a blind blanket statement.

It is a bit more challenging to drive a RWD car at the limit, in my personal opinion, but more rewarding when mastered. Coming quick into a turn, a quick stab at the brakes and balancing the chassis with a heel/toe downshift as the car settles into the apex, and then using the throttle to steer the car out - man, the feeling. Of course, there are so many different factors involved (type of car, power, suspension, tires, etc., etc.)

Taking a look at the basic forces which we subject our cars to, I'll try to explain in an objective way why I personally prefer RWD over FWD - I'll leave my discussion about AWD to a little blurb towards the end due to my limited experience with an AWD car (I've driven my cousin's B5 Audi S4, and a dealer Mitsu Evo, but that's about it)

Acceleration -

Acceleration causes a rearward weight shift. The front tires have a greater chance to lose traction and spin in a FWD car, whereas on a RWD car, the weight shift to the rear may help traction issues.

Cornering -

Generally speaking, I've found that RWD cars have a more even weight distribution (my S2000 is 50/50), which aids in a more neutral feel while cornering. FWD cars typically have a tendency to understeer - perhaps that is why RWD cars "feel" like they handle better due to the nimbleness they exhibit.

Torque Steer -

It can be a factor on a FWD car under acceleration, but not on RWD.

AWD offers a lot as well, primarily grip - and mistakes are not as potentially dooming. FWD is popular on a lot of cars as I feel that it is easier for the common publi to drive in terms of control and predictability. (i.e. the likelihood of fishtailing, etc.) The average driver's intention is not for spirited driving, but to retain control of the car.

Flame suit on - in my opinion, performance cars that are RWD are higher on the fun factor scale than FWD and AWD.

And if you were too lazy to read the above paragraphs - here's a statement to sum it up -

To ME - RWD = FUN :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Comparing an S2000's FR layout with a more common or tradition FR layout is quite inappropriate. The S2000's layout is more bias to attempt a mid-ship setup to get a 50/50 distribution alike SW20s, NA1s, unlike the general FR layout cars. Pick a general FR like a GM make and that'll be severely different.

BTW, I also own an S2000. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Noel said:
Comparing an S2000's FR layout with a more common or tradition FR layout is quite inappropriate. The S2000's layout is more bias to attempt a mid-ship setup to get a 50/50 distribution alike SW20s, NA1s, unlike the general FR layout cars. Pick a general FR like a GM make and that'll be severely different.

BTW, I also own an S2000. ;)

Of course, picking a "general" FR like a GM make (I suppose a Corvette wouldn't be "general") would make things severely different. Hence, my disclaiming comment -

Of course, there are so many different factors involved (type of car, power, suspension, tires, etc., etc.)

I also used precautions in making sure I used words like, "Generally speaking," or "In my personal opinion," etc. . . .

I threw the S2000 in the mix as that is the current RWD car I own. I can also attest to the excellent weight distribution of RWD cars I've owned in the past (E36 M3, E30 325is). I wanted to convey that I am speaking solely based on what I have personally experienced in attempt to offer a more subjective feel to my reply. I apologize if this misled any readers as I did not intend for my personal impressions to be misconstrued as an "inappropriate comparison."

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Good thoughts and comparisons, also IMO. Would be great if he added MR and RR to the equation. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
hmm here what ive come to conclude by driving many of cars..

AWD great for any weather racing, really good starts absolute no spin all traction from the start. less liky to lose control in a corner.

RWD great for stright lines, easy to through yourself into a powerslide for those fun corners, but when you acclerate out its not with full force.

FWD great in the truns allows u to pull the car out of the turn into the next. Ive found myself comeing out of corners faster in a FWD then eithier of the other and feeling much more comfrtable.. FWD not really a striaght line car because of the wheel spin factor..

So in all it really comes down to what driving you want to be doing.. were u live and what you can handle..

I would say if u love the twisty raods go with a FWD, if you live going fast on the higway with great control go RWD, if u love going without any spin in any weather but loseing some power for serperating the power to all four wheels go AWD.. it all comes down to what u like to do and how you feel as a driver..

bbbbb5 :tribe: just my thoughts..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts