Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering here has ever considered the rx-8. I'm about to head into college and I'm going to be getting a new car and im split between the Mazda RX-8 and the Acura TSX

If I were to get the Acura TSX it would be with navigation
If it was the RX-8 It would be with Navigation, but without Leather.

The price of those two vehicles would be aroun 29k. So price range their the same. I do know that the RX-8 is 38hp more and 2oolbs lighter than the tsx so its overall a faster car. But I'm really split between the two. ive been inside both cars and I love both cars. Im split myself, soo maybe you guyz can give light of the pros/cons you see personally in both cars.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
A Matter of Size

My brother bought a RX-8 recently & while I was @ the dealer w/ him, I considered one. The major drawback for me was the small size & since you are going off to college, I would imagine that you need room to haul laundry home
It really annoyed me that the console went str8 back thru the back seat dividing it in half. I also did not like that if you chose the optional spare tire, it took up your whole trunk.

A few other things that made me choose the TSX:
  • The automatics: the TSX has more HP & better mileage; but it sounds like you want the manual (which Mazda charges xtra for)
  • Mazda = Ford as far as I am concerned & after my Mustang fell apart on me I am very gun shy ... Mind U, my brother had to have his whole AC unit replaced w/in like the 1st month
  • Call me bourgsie but for the same price, I would rather have the Acura emblem on my car & U get a long more bang for your buck
  • Money Mag put TSX as #1 under $35k & the RX-8 3rd, I am sure there are plenty more articles on the topic out there : http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/10/pf/autos/bestcars04_acura_TSX/
The only thing I think that the RX-8 has over the TSX is sportier exterior but that is just a matter of taste.

Here are previous threads on the same topic: http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951&highlight=rx-8
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220&highlight=rx-8

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts
get the tsx... 1 of my friends has an rx8 and in the first year of owning it... hes had quite a few problems

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club confused :wavey:

Joker - who would head on down to your local dealer's, and test drive both car's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm buying my car post undergrad so maybe I have different tastes/wants. I was between the RX-8, S40 and TSX. I'm going with the TSX (ordering it this week). RX-8 is cool looking but I really want a sedan. Going out or on trips with people squished in the back isn't very cool (I know, my first car was this way). Plus I do like to have room in the back seat to put things on occasion and to easily get to them. Also, Mazdas just don't do it for me (reliability and bang for buck factor)

The choice between the s40 and TSX was pretty hard. Overall I liked the way the TSX was built inside more than the s40. The console in the s40 was pretty spiffy-futuristic looking but the display was real cheap looking. Sound system would need to be upgraded and the navi was uninspiring. Driving the s40 was fun as was the TSX. I actually felt the s40 was a quieter drive and a bit more comfy. BUT to get the s40 with what the TSX has starts to add up money-wise past the TSX. Really, I don't think you can go wrong between the TSX and S40. I just lean more towards Acura here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was in a similar predicament. I was choosing between the RX-8, TSX, A4, S40, 9-3, Legacy GT.

I started eliminating things down, first because of price, then reviews etc. I was down to two at the end: RX-8 and TSX.

RX-8 Cons:
1. 15 mpg, some reported 11-13 *after* ECU upgrade
2. They lied about performance initially. Not the first time either apparently.
3. No spare tire standard. Costs $400 extra and there is not a place for it to go. It'd just sit in your trunk, not some well. What the heck?
4. Insurance was something like $1900+ a year vs <$1400.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Since this is a TSX forum, the PROs and CONs of the TSX can be explained by just about every regular member on this forum. So I'd share my experience of RX-8.

- Rotary engines are great but you need alot of care and maintenance, when I mean alot. You need to be constantly checking engine oil consumption levels and check general fluids to ensure everything is in order. At least one oil check every 2500KMs or so would be wise. Topping up is mandatory even on a new car by the owner.

- Because of the Renesis 1.3 litre. Yes, 1.3 litre in rotary terms equates to about a generic fuel injected V6 2.8 litre for good comparison. So you'd get a fuel guzzling car even when you're not pushing it hard. Alot of people can't live with this, the added up costs of fuel is enough to put people to sell it.

- And yes, the power rating of the RX-8 is over-rated by Mazda US. But it will no doubt still be a quicker and more nimble car compared to the TSX thanks to the 50/50 weight distribution, rear wheel drive and large displacement rotary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive been inside the TSX and I can say it performs nicely. I havn't had the chance to drive an RX8 yet though, hopefully soon ill be able to test drive one. However, Do you think the performance of the TSX would be able to be near that of a RX8?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's not a contrasting difference, in fact. The power output on the both are fairly similar and close in reality. You know which is my obvious choice. ;)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
welcome confused and xpedition.

I will echo what joker said, take both for a test drive, and then weigh YOUR pros and cons

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
johnej said:
welcome confused and xpedition.

I will echo what joker said, take both for a test drive, and then weigh YOUR pros and cons
i agree with all three of your, but getting some insight while I dont have the benefit of testing one currently should help. :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's FR, there's no torque ... And I'm seriously talking about no torque unlike compared to the general slap of Honda VTECs having poor torque. Not to mention, it's not easy to launch either. Slightly more power, not alot more power. When you put the power to the ground, it's not far off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my brother bought the rx-8 when it first came out. He only uses it for fun. He has other cars for bad weather/regular driving. The TSX would defintely be more practical.. more trunk space for moving... more room for ppl.. also, where are you going to school? rx-8 won't do as well in snow. i had test driven the mazda3... i saw one with nav...the interface is no where near as good as acura. it wasn't touch screen...and it was slower to respond/calculate routes. i'd recommend the tsx now... then pick up the rx-8 when you graduate ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Personally, I think the RX8 is way too cramped. Those magazines touting the RX8 as a sports car able to carry 4 full size adults are completely full of crap. If I were going to tolerate such poor space, I'd rather get a G35 coupe and have more room and more power and better gas mileage. Sure the RX8 handles better, but the acceleration is very weak for what it is and the gas mileage is dismal. A quick read in the RX8 forums will confirm this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AlterZgo said:
Personally, I think the RX8 is way too cramped. Those magazines touting the RX8 as a sports car able to carry 4 full size adults are completely full of crap. If I were going to tolerate such poor space, I'd rather get a G35 coupe and have more room and more power and better gas mileage. Sure the RX8 handles better, but the acceleration is very weak for what it is and the gas mileage is dismal. A quick read in the RX8 forums will confirm this.
I agree with you. Ive been inside the rx8 and the first thing I can say is... cramped for the rear seats... especially with how far back I drive. The front is okay but the TSX seemed for comfortable.

As for snow as a concern I live in california... Have to go up north or the mountains for that.

I guess the TSX is still the choice. Handling between tsx and rx8 are nearly identicle correct?

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
I personally would go with the TSX. I also was in the same position and my dad is a sales manager for a Mazda dealership here in Alabama. The reason I bought the TSX is b/c I have always been an Acura owner and any type of Acura has great resale value. The Mazda is basically an expensive Ford and resale value on it will go down considerably. I also chose the TSX b/c of gas mileage and its not considered a sports car so your insurance will be higher on the RX8. You also cant fit 4 people comfortably in an RX8 for sure.

These factors made me get my TSX:

lower insurance
better gas mileage
can fit 4-5 comfortably in the TSX
overall more luxurious
better resale value

Those 5 things made my decision for me and the TSX finishes tops in all of those compared to the RX8.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
For me, I'd go with the TSX. I sat in an RX8 and I was cramped... and definately no room in the rear with the way I was sitting. That alone was enough to cross the RX8 out of my list. TSX is very roomy :nod:

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
TSX all the way, you get a lot more for your money.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts