Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning its -40°C here; turned over very very slowly once, twice then roared to life so I was very grateful lol

Has your TSX ever let you down in the cold?

·
Registered
264 Posts
With the original battery, it has been 2 years that when fall arrives, it has some difficulties, not as cold as in winter. If I was using it, I would change my battery.
Do you have your original battery?

·
Registered
225 Posts
i dont know if mine was OEM or AM. left it in the cold for 4-5days and my friend had to jump start my car......my auto start didnt seem to work either. even tho ive been driving for 40mins....

so what's a good AM battery?

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Yeah the OEM is weak (430 only I recall) compare to the Aftermarket battery. I was going to get the Yellow Top from Optima since it's got deep crank so it can hold charge for a long time, but my issue with YT is that it has very low crank power, meaning it would have weak starting issue in the winter. Red Top has very optimal high crank power (700+) but shallow crank cycle, and also the larger size is a very tight fit inside TSX.

In the end, I got a really good deal from Advanced Auto battery, so I went with their brand (560), and it hasn't given me issue since. I will be bringing my car out of garage after 2 months (battery unplugged of course) since my beater is on its way out, we'll see how it cranks in such a frigid weather (7degF today).

·
My car whines
637 Posts
yea it was almost -40 degrees celcius with windchill when I finished work last night. car was pretty slow cranking but started up. last time I checked, the battery was a 500CCA oem acura battery.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
I had two battery that failed and died on me during the winter... The oem battery was Panasonic and ultra last which never lasted lol... I just bought a diehard silver battery and its running with no problems...

Oh yea Acura oem Panasonic battery sucks ass...

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
I had diehard gold...lasted me just shy of 3 years (2/10). I know its under warranty, but it came with the car.

I ended up getting a Kirkland 51R battery, 500CCA and $74 after tax from costco in Long Island. My Diehard was 495CCA, so I wasn't expecting much difference (when it worked). And as such, I see no difference. Lol

Compared to other batteries rebranded by Johnson controls (AutoZone/Duralast Gold), this was the cheapest. Autozone wanted $119.99 for the same battery with a yellow top panel. Plus the Kirkland has a 3 year warranty and prorated thereafter for 10 years. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The TSX is a slow cranking car anyways but the OEM battery is weak for sure. My TSX has never let me down in the cold :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
lmao me too before going to work, it turned on very very slowly and then it ran. I got scared for a second. on my way back home by VSA light went on, for some reason. but it's gone now

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I replaced my OEM battery back in 2005. Been using the same PowerStart (Dekka rebrand) since then. OE-size. It has NOT let me down!! Even yesterday and this morning where it's about -30*C (not including windchill, because cars don't 'feel' the windchill)... no problem starting up!!
*knocks on wood*

·
Registered
80 Posts
My tsx was totaly frozen but started as usual this morning @ -32

The car was so cold that when I started the car, the mid display said ''Check brake system'' ...but quickly dissapeared after 10 secs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.