Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
did not know on which forum to post this, so first trying this one. Whenever I try to start the car after it's been lying cold for some time (4-5 hrs) I get an annoying scrape (similar to what you feel when you go over a road with a lot of friction) when I press a bit hard on the gas pedal and the car is shifting from the 1st gear to the second gear.. and it seems to come from somewhere near the gas pedal.. cause my foot feels it. Surprising thing is that this happens only once and once the car is rolling fine.. nothing happens. Has anyone here experienced something similar?
Thanks in advance,
Vishy

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Have you brought in into the dealership to address your problems? That doesn't sound normal or something of common occurance to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will mention this to my dealer on my next oil change trip. The problem with such things is that they are hard to reproduce when it matters most, also it has not aggravated in the past two months.. so I have somehow learned to ignore it.

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
Could it be that you have some rust on the rotors? If the rotors are warped they may, when wet and left to dry, build up some rust. You start the car, begin rolling and the rust is sheered off by the brakepad and caliper. Check out the rotors before you get in the car one day. Are they kinda orange? Also does your brake pedal pulse slighlty when applying the brakes (not abs).

·
Registered
64 Posts
vishyncsu said:
Hi,
did not know on which forum to post this, so first trying this one. Whenever I try to start the car after it's been lying cold for some time (4-5 hrs) I get an annoying scrape (similar to what you feel when you go over a road with a lot of friction) when I press a bit hard on the gas pedal and the car is shifting from the 1st gear to the second gear.. and it seems to come from somewhere near the gas pedal.. cause my foot feels it. Surprising thing is that this happens only once and once the car is rolling fine.. nothing happens. Has anyone here experienced something similar?
Thanks in advance,
Vishy
You're not alone. I experience the EXACT same thing. It's not caused by warped rotors because I don't think it's possible to warp rotors in 100 miles. I haven't asked the dealer about it because it really doesn't seem to be affecting the car in any other way except for that slight scraping sound when I first get going in the car after it has sat for awhile. Obviously, the only way to reproduce this at the dealer would be to take the car to the dealer and let it sit there for about 6 hours before starting it again.

BTW, I drive a 6MT. It sounds like yours is an auto, so I guess it's probably not a clutch problem. If you get any feedback from the dealer, post it here. I'm sure we can't be the only 2 with this.

As of right now, I consider it a quirk of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PsyDoc said:
Could it be that you have some rust on the rotors? If the rotors are warped they may, when wet and left to dry, build up some rust. You start the car, begin rolling and the rust is sheered off by the brakepad and caliper. Check out the rotors before you get in the car one day. Are they kinda orange? Also does your brake pedal pulse slighlty when applying the brakes (not abs).
yes, the rotors are kind of rusty orange but the brake pedal does not pulse when applying brakes.

·
Suffolk TSXer
11 Posts
Have noticed the same -- and my car only has 700 miles. Thought it was just my own paranoia about looking for probs in the first month of new ownership. Guess I will raise the issue at my first oil change.

·
JDM > Mugen
324 Posts
i have the same thing happened.. when i ask the dealer, and if i remember correctly they told me it's because the ABS system needs some adjusting when you stopped for a long time.
that is why there is that sound

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
Your rotors need not be warped for rust to build on the rotors. Noel....correct me if I'm wrong. My si used to make a scraping sound for about 5-6 seconds after it was sitting for a while and then after a few wheel rotations it went away. Just a thought.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
70 Posts
Are you sure it's not the ABS system check? It usually happens a few seconds after you get going (maybe once you go past a certain speed), and you will get a noticeable buzz sound/vibration for about a second or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dowzer said:
Are you sure it's not the ABS system check? It usually happens a few seconds after you get going (maybe once you go past a certain speed), and you will get a noticeable buzz sound/vibration for about a second or so.
I would not know what an ABS system check feels like as this is my first car with ABS :). If it's the ABS system check then why does it happen once in a while? i.e only when the car is relatively cold.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
70 Posts
vishyncsu said:
I would not know what an ABS system check feels like as this is my first car with ABS :). If it's the ABS system check then why does it happen once in a while? i.e only when the car is relatively cold.
Basically the vibration/noise is the ABS pump kicking in. It typically happens only after the car's been sitting for at least several hours, but the car won't necessarily do this every time. I believe it only kicks in when the system needs to be adjusted/pressurized as chocodai mentioned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like the ABS System Check. My car does the same thing. But I don't think it's weather related. I park inside my apt garage. Every morning, I get the same sound at almost the same spot when I drive out. 2005 AT

Does anyone have their ABS kick in while braking over rough pavement?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts