Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a fine scratch appearing on my driver and passenger side windows on the inside which I noticed after having the front windows down and putting them back up a couple of times. The scratch is getting worse and goes down the full length of the windows like something is scraping against the tint when the window is lowered and raised! Anyone have any idea what could be causing the scratch? I raised this issue at the 1K service and my dealer tried telling me that it is join mark in the tint... I mean what a load of BS, for starters the scratch is getting worse and it has actually seperated into 2 scratches, so either the seam is moving or there is something on the door trim which is scratching my tint on my windows! I am thinking that they just didn't want to fork out the $'s to retint the front windows, and if they don't find the cause then it will just do it again anyhow !

Why the hell would they have a seam in the tint anyhow it just seems to me that they are trying to BS their way out of fixing the issue ! I have also noticed that door trim rattle coming back, on both sides this time.. is there any permanent fix for this rattle that many people have reported? Finally there is a squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel to the right, is this just a lubrication issue? Don't get me wrong I love my Euro, it is by far the best car I have owned, I am just surprised that these squeaks and issues have appeared after only 4000 k's !

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
There is a problem with the Euro Accords on tinting concerns because Honda did not add a "felt" layer protection that is meant to keep dirt, dust, small particles etc out of the window assembly on the inside. What happened is something must've got in and is now literally scratching your tint when you operate the power windows.

If your tint was done by factory, it is covered under the factory warranty. They need to replace/retint your windows appropriately. You should raise the issue about no "felt" layer being added on the inside and this is a common problem/concern across Euro Accord owners. It's not hard for tinters to add them, but they could have not been aware that it needs one.

As for your noise/creaks/rattling problems, it's part and parcel of owning a Honda. Great cars especially when it comes to performance and handling but still a step back on luxury refinement.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Noel, I figured it must be something like that, but I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't include protection like that OR that Honda never mentioned it could be an issue if they tinted the windows! So they need to redo the tint? Is this a difficult process? It should be covered by warranty too as my Honda dealer are the ones who tinted it !

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It is an "open knowledge" issue that there is no felt on the inside windows from factory. Perhaps the 05s will have this simple concern resolved. But yes, your dealership needs to retint your car under warranty.

As you bought the car "in that state" meaning everything from factory is covered under warranty unless justified otherwise - Ala self-inflicted damage, undue modification causing failure etc. Which none of these would fall under your current concern.

It's not hard to re-tint, it's only whether they're gonna cover it or not. I'll raise an alarm if they don't. This can be a tricky one to deal with because they'd probably try to blame you for not keeping your windows clean enough.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noel said:
It is an "open knowledge" issue that there is no felt on the inside windows from factory. Perhaps the 05s will have this simple concern resolved. But yes, your dealership needs to retint your car under warranty.

As you bought the car "in that state" meaning everything from factory is covered under warranty unless justified otherwise - Ala self-inflicted damage, undue modification causing failure etc. Which none of these would fall under your current concern.

It's not hard to re-tint, it's only whether they're gonna cover it or not. I'll raise an alarm if they don't. This can be a tricky one to deal with because they'd probably try to blame you for not keeping your windows clean enough.
So they would expect me to make sure that the windows are perfectly clean all of the time? As I had no idea that the lack of felt was an issuem, or infact that there was no felt installed, then I don't understand how my dealer could say that it was my fault that the scratches occured in the first place! Besides like you said it would cause a stink if they don't decide to cover it, and would also make Honda's image seem a little tarnished!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Realistically ... To keep the windows inside totally dustless/spotless is not very possible unless you're truly a total car freak with real dedication. The felt is applied on the outside but not inside and from "normal" usage, it should and is not expected to scratch/tear/damage the inside tint. All my other Hondas don't have this problem even the ones dating back to the late 90s but for some reason this model didn't have inside felt installed.

Just bring it back to your dealership at your next service or ASAP if you cannot live with it and bitch about what is happening, if they don't entertain you ... Demand to see the service manager. Tell them about what you know about felt and how "common" this problem is and threaten to bring this further if nothing meaningful is done to resolve your concern. Dealerships don't have the game to play around with knowledged customers, it's only non-knowledged customers that fall prey to their endless rant of meaningless crap.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info again Noel, I will mention it when I take my Euro in to get the fog lamps installed ! I know they will try to dodge it because it will cost them money to retint the windows, but that really is too bad, maybe Honda will learn to install the felt in the next update? Any idea's why they didn't install it? Cost cutting?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got in touch with my dealer and told them about the scratching issue, the saleslady who we dealt with said she had never heard of the issue, but would get their service centre to look at the problem! You are right of course, if you look at the top door trim you can plainly see some felt on the outside side of the window but not on the inside! They have booked the car in for Wednesday, they will have to retint the windows and add the felt otherwise it will happen again, and whilst they are there they can fix that annoying rattle/vibration coming from the lock area of the door!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
I got in touch with my dealer and told them about the scratching issue, the saleslady who we dealt with said she had never heard of the issue, but would get their service centre to look at the problem! You are right of course, if you look at the top door trim you can plainly see some felt on the outside side of the window but not on the inside! They have booked the car in for Wednesday, they will have to retint the windows and add the felt otherwise it will happen again, and whilst they are there they can fix that annoying rattle/vibration coming from the lock area of the door!
It is total bs that Honda don't know about this. I told them a long time ago.. see

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2381&highlight=tint+scratch

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yf1 said:
It is total bs that Honda don't know about this. I told them a long time ago.. see

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2381&highlight=tint+scratch

I know how you feel dude, I had the same issue and my Euro isn't even 6 months old yet . I spoke to my dealer about the scratches, the saleslady said she hadn't heard about it, but when I spoke to the dealerships service centre they said that they HAD actually heard about the issue and that there was a service notice sent to them warning of the potential problem. Now if Honda bothered to send out a notice to all their dealers Australia wide then it is obviously an issue and have had many complaints and repairs done already.

My Service Centre told me that the reason why the felt was removed from the inside was to install another component which is meant to stop wind noise, who knows why they didn't put it back in afterwards? Maybe they thaught that they would get less people coming back and complaining about scratched tints than they would have if there was severe wind noise?

At any rate my Euro is going in to the dealer next Monday, they said they are going to have to retint the windows and insert the felt to stop it happening again... while they are there I told them they can fix the door lock rattle/vibration ! Hope this helps?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
My Service Centre told me that the reason why the felt was removed from the inside was to install another component which is meant to stop wind noise, who knows why they didn't put it back in afterwards?
To separate the BS from the facts on what dealerships are constantly saying based on their ignorance. There is no such "other component" installed (In AU) or pre-installed (In JP) to address any wind noise issue.

Simply, looking at the JDM CL7, CL9 or Europe CL9, US CL9. Only the AU CL9 has reported concerns of tint scratching problems. Funny how other countries/continents have no "wind noise" concern.

Must be some special component that only Australia needs one and I can't see any difference in lining assembly or components from our windows/doors/hinges vs other CL7/9s.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noel said:
To separate the BS from the facts on what dealerships are constantly saying based on their ignorance. There is no such "other component" installed (In AU) or pre-installed (In JP) to address any wind noise issue.

Simply, looking at the JDM CL7, CL9 or Europe CL9, US CL9. Only the AU CL9 has reported concerns of tint scratching problems. Funny how other countries/continents have no "wind noise" concern.

Must be some special component that only Australia needs one and I can't see any difference in lining assembly or components from our windows/doors/hinges vs other CL7/9s.
Yeah it is probably just the dealer trying to make up excuses so Honda won't come out looking so bad, I mean it is a pretty severe oversight on Honda's behalf not installing the felt on the inside of the window even though they did on the outside! At least they know about the issue and are going to fix it, my question is, when exactly did they become aware of this issue? Before I first purchased my Euro? If so then why didn't my dealer warn me that there may be an issue with scratches in the tint of my new purchase?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's before your time, before I picked up the car. I already highlighted the fact something is wrong about it on a test drive. A few weeks later, customers were coming into a particular dealership having their tints replacement "under warranty".

They offered 2 options, re-tint or no-tint plus refund. It's not covered under Honda warranty anyhow. It's covered under the dealership's own pocket since they're offering the so called "factory tint". In truth, unless it gets tinted straight from factory in Japan. It's a dealership problem not a Honda Australia problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noel said:
It's before your time, before I picked up the car. I already highlighted the fact something is wrong about it on a test drive. A few weeks later, customers were coming into a particular dealership having their tints replacement "under warranty".

They offered 2 options, re-tint or no-tint plus refund. It's not covered under Honda warranty anyhow. It's covered under the dealership's own pocket since they're offering the so called "factory tint". In truth, unless it gets tinted straight from factory in Japan. It's a dealership problem not a Honda Australia problem.
Well if that is the case then my dealer is covering the costs incurred, it was their responsibility to get it tinted as part of the whole sales deal, so I guess they are covering the retint and the manhours that is required to install it.

On a seperate note I received a recall notice from Honda regarding the wiring in the boot possibly becoming seperated which can lead to the tail lights not working? Well should I get them to fix this while they are redoing the tint and adressing the lock rattle? Maybe this will be too much work for one day?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, the recall can be carried out at the same time. It's not a hard job, in fact I written about preventative checks that you can make yourself. Whilst since you have the boot spoiler installed, you're more than likely to have reinforced wiring and boot springs to ensure this problem does not occur. It's more of an issue with those people without the OEM boot spoiler from factory.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we got the Euro back yesterday and the retint is redone, they also installed the fix for the back, something about a replacement loom? Anyhow they have installed a rubber seal on the inside of the door inbetween the window and the door trim to stop the scratching from happening again. The service centre was actually quite good and informative, they explained to us that when the Euro's first arrived Honda advised the dealers not to tint the Euro's windows as there was only a very small clearance between the door and the window. Apparently, according to the service centre manager, the reason they designed the doors/windows this way was to reduce wind noise, as a result some of the tint companies are designing a thinner tint which can be safely installed in the Euro's without having to get the rubber seal installed.

So it is fixed they also added some dampening material to the inside of the door trim so there isn't so many rattles as there was, I have got to say that I am impressed with Josh Sady's servicing !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.