1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 TSX
6spd man
All stock other than 05 motor and accord 5spd tranny

Over the weekend I noticed a couple of loose, unplugged connectors. One is behind the rear bumper on the drivers side and the other is in the trunk next to the drivers tail light (taped up against the tail light harness end). This car has never had any electrical work done and any modifications to the electrical system were done by yours truly, have since been properly reversed, and were all engine management related so no where near the rear. It appears to be factory with no harnesses appearing to cut open or re-taped and OEM connector styles. I have checked to see in the go together and not only are they both female (same series and type but not matching), they're not long enough. I also checked to see if they were for a trailer harness but I cant imagine the factory endorsing that for this car, much less enabling it. The only other possibility would be for the factory spoiler with brake light for the one coming from the drivers tail light harness but then I'd expect the connector to be on the brake light built into the trunk lid not the body mounted light. Also figured the bumper one might be for euro lights (figured i might even find the other side behind one of the blank switches to the left of the wheel) required by some European law (rear fogs in place of refectors? Imho kinda cool)

Any info might help, going to the dealer soon so ill ask then, but I don't expect much knowledge besides what they typically encounter (especially on something 13 years old)

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any pictures?
The one with the carpet is drivers side outer tail light, dont want to pull the bumper off tonight for the other but I'll see if i can find some pics online w it in there and if now it'll take it off tmro cus i dicked up the undertray last time I did

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe it is for an auxiliary brake light like the one featured on the OEM rear spoiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it is for an auxiliary brake light like the one featured on the OEM rear spoiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked into that, that option uses a connector that's on the underside of the rear deck in the trunk near the HCL. :/

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 TSX
6spd man
All stock other than 05 motor and accord 5spd tranny

Over the weekend I noticed a couple of loose, unplugged connectors. One is behind the rear bumper on the drivers side and the other is in the trunk next to the drivers tail light (taped up against the tail light harness end). This car has never had any electrical work done and any modifications to the electrical system were done by yours truly, have since been properly reversed, and were all engine management related so no where near the rear. It appears to be factory with no harnesses appearing to cut open or re-taped and OEM connector styles. I have checked to see in the go together and not only are they both female (same series and type but not matching), they're not long enough. I also checked to see if they were for a trailer harness but I cant imagine the factory endorsing that for this car, much less enabling it. The only other possibility would be for the factory spoiler with brake light for the one coming from the drivers tail light harness but then I'd expect the connector to be on the brake light built into the trunk lid not the body mounted light. Also figured the bumper one might be for euro lights (figured i might even find the other side behind one of the blank switches to the left of the wheel) required by some European law (rear fogs in place of refectors? Imho kinda cool)

Any info might help, going to the dealer soon so ill ask then, but I don't expect much knowledge besides what they typically encounter (especially on something 13 years old)

Imagine away bud, the 1st gen TSX had all the provisions for a trailer hitch that an Accord had, after all, they were just Accords in Europe!

If you read the owner's manual, it says that the car will pull 1/2 ton. The trailer connector is in the same place as an Accord of the same vintage plus minus 10 years. And there are already pre-stamped holes for a trailer hitch on the frame. Pretty sure that's what you're seeing there on the driver's side.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nothing to be concerned about if you have a concern. Just about every car out there has empty or unused connectors somewhere along each wire harness. They are there for other accessory options, other trim packages, diagnostics, for cars outside the US (ex: Japan models have rear fog lights), and the list goes on. It’s easier and more cost effective to manufacture only one or two harnesses that fit all trims, options, countries etc. vs having to have specific harnesses for each case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing to be concerned about if you have a concern. Just about every car out there has empty or unused connectors somewhere along each wire harness. They are there for other accessory options, other trim packages, diagnostics, for cars outside the US (ex: Japan models have rear fog lights), and the list goes on. It’s easier and more cost effective to manufacture only one or two harnesses that fit all trims, options, countries etc. vs having to have specific harnesses for each case.
I assumed this was the case, I'm actually interested in taking advantage of some of those things (thought id be cooler than a trailer hitch tho lol). I remember learning about how on a certain lotus, with a $20 switch from ford you could get access to a $500 option to let you fold the mirrors in electronically.

If I might be so lucky to uncover something like that, id be ready, willing and able to do it. Dont like the big wing tho.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well with some manufacturers it’s hit and miss. The wires can change multiple colors from connector to connector along the circuit which can make it tricky to find out where it terminates. In the case of my wife’s ford, the trailer wiring connector is tucked behind the bumper cover but has no power. Somewhere between that connector and the fuse panel, there is wiring missing so there was no way I could use that circuit unless I tore the interior apart to find the wires start to end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts