Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in the Wheels thread earlier, I wanted to see how well the Dupli Color Shadow Chrome would look on my emblems and grill. Im a novice when it comes to spray painting, but my thoughts were if an average Joe can read the directions, it shouldnt be that hard....

Getting the emblems off was easy with floss/dryer. I just left the sticky tack on to re affix them afterwards. The Grill was a bit time consuming to take apart, and Im still debating putting on another coat via just 'masking' the non chrome areas.

Not as Many BEFORE Shots since you guys already know what it looks like:

Just the 'A' Section

AFTER:
Front A in Grill - THIS Came out exactly how I had hoped/wanted. The pic doesnt really do it justice tho.

You can clearly see the shitty job I did spraying... While I take blame, you can see how it seems to come out in a definite 'lighter then darker' pattern. I felt I sprayed steadily of course...

The Rear A also came out Perfect. Maybe its a different type of Chrome? I sprayed everything down with Pre/Prep Spray.

The ACURA and TSX had a little bit more variance to them unfortunately...I might take them off and try again. Its either darker but more even or PlastiDip.

Full Rear View After:

Overall Im happy with the back, especially the A... The Front I might re do either in PD or Shadow Chrome one more layer to give it one last chance.

Here's a link to the spray on amazon.

Next up is the Exhaust Tips. Then I have to do the Chrome Delete with either BMW tape or PD GunMetal which I think would look cool against CGP.

Reactions: crix868

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
the front under light looks bad, maybe a few more coats to even it out and it will look good!

Overall nice job on trying something different!

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely agree, unfortunately. While I was doing it, i noticed the paint seemed to come out heavier every other second (hence the equal parts dark and not as dark.) Since I already ruined the natural chrome look (and planned to PD anyways if that was the case) - I suppose an extra layer of black shadow + gloss layer couldnt hurt to try... Its just a pain to take everything off, paint and wait and re assemble again. Thanks!

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
definitely shake it for a good minute or so, the inconsistency in the thickness might have been from lack of proper mixing.

But powdercoat sounds good anyways :D

·
Jeff
902 Posts
I think he meant plastidip by PD lol

I also didn't have a good experience with this kit. it came out uneven and splotchy. I think it's only meant for real chrome surfaces

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think he meant plastidip by PD lol

I also didn't have a good experience with this kit. it came out uneven and splotchy. I think it's only meant for real chrome surfaces
+1 I agree

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the Front Grill isnt real chrome you're saying? I almost feel like the rear A emblem was actual chrome, while the TSX/ACURA letters were plastic.

Regardless, I smoked the exhaust tips and they look pretty cool, and darkened the rear emblems so they're now pretty much black, but the A in the center is smoked chrome. Much better now.

Im debating on going over the grill again with Smoked Chrome - via leaving it on and masking or taking the whole damn thing off again.... which is a minor pain for the payoff.

·
Registered
831 Posts
what if you put on a few coats of shadow chrome to get it nice and dark and then use a like a 1500 grit sand paper , wet sand all of it to even it out and lighten it up by reducing the build up of paint and finish it off with some rubbing compound followed by a nice coat of clear ? do you think that it might look better ?

·
Jeff
902 Posts
I think its some kind of plastic, thats what people at paint shops told me. At least the grill parts and hood trim, don't know bout the rear emblem

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,291 Posts
Not bad not bad. Kinda gives it a rustic look. I'm sure it looks better in person too.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
you need to try to do a light "tack" coat for your first and give it the prescribed time between coats. Also give it a little heavier coat on the 2nd and 3rd and try to go even sweeps across the grill. always try to look at different angles to see if you miss anything and let it dry properly per the directions before adding the clear coat on there. overall the shadow chrome does give it a nice appeal.

what you can do to get used to the spray tip is give it a couple shots on a piece of cardboard and get the feel of the spray pattern to help you out. hope this helps bro.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
what if you put on a few coats of shadow chrome to get it nice and dark and then use a like a 1500 grit sand paper , wet sand all of it to even it out and lighten it up by reducing the build up of paint and finish it off with some rubbing compound followed by a nice coat of clear ? do you think that it might look better ?
you just have to be careful doing this because these parts aren't actually chrome they are plastic for those who dont know this. using sandpaper on plastic will scratch it and show up. if you would have to sand it at all i'd suggest using a 2000 grit and wet sand it so it would be more even and uniform. this would only take off a layer so just be careful how much you do so you dont scratch the grill. if its still uneven right now i'd also suggest you try maybe adding a few more coats on to cover all the plastic chrome completely before wet sanding. Good luck.

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you just have to be careful doing this because these parts aren't actually chrome they are plastic for those who dont know this. using sandpaper on plastic will scratch it and show up. if you would have to sand it at all i'd suggest using a 2000 grit and wet sand it so it would be more even and uniform. this would only take off a layer so just be careful how much you do so you dont scratch the grill. if its still uneven right now i'd also suggest you try maybe adding a few more coats on to cover all the plastic chrome completely before wet sanding. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice! Based on what you and others have said, I think im going to try to re-do it in a darker smoked chrome (essentially add 2 more coats) and then call it a day... If it looks terrible, Ill just go over it that same day with PD Gunmetal + Metallic. If it looks cool with just the extra layers of ShadowChrome, ill keep it.

Im going to do the chrome on the door handles in PD Gun Metal as an experiment first. I love that if it looks lame, I can just peel it off, no harm no foul. Pics later.

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didnt like the idea of my unfinished Grill / Emblems languishing in the forums for eternity, so here's the updated finished product:

Front Grill re done with Gun Metal Plastidip, no metalizer:

Rear Emblems in Shadow Chrome darkened:

The Exhaust tips were Shadow Chromed' as well. The Grill looks different depending on the lighting, but overall Im happy with it. Kept the Center 'A' in Shadow Chrome while the rest of the Grill Trim is GunMetal PlastiDip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts