Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since the bolt holes on my intake box broke, I have this horrible sound/vibration around 2500rpm. I am also worried about the seal not being tight and debris getting into the engine.
I've ruled out getting a CAI because the bottom of the intake housing gets reused and it is where the bolt holes cracked.

my thinking now is that a short ram intake and a better exhaust system will obviously fix any concerns about vibrations from the intake, and also improve MPGs on the highway.

my concern is; will i loose power on the lowend? that would be bad considering the little power these engines put out. and would i really see any MPGs?

any thoughts on a good combination of intake and exhaust that wont brake the bank, and won't sound like a lawnmower?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You replace that stock box with anything and better be ready for noise. Short rams are one of the noisiest options you can pick.

I would stick with stock box or CT cold air, either extract those broken bolts or buy new stock box used, I am sure someone will sell you one cheap enough.

If you don't mind the noise and want every HP you can get, K&N cold air is very good option...

Re exhaust system, again replace stock and get ready for noise, also no power gain. The only part that yields MAJOR power is taking out your stock header and catalytic converter. My favorite is Weapon R header and it comes with straight pipe. Huge power gain. There are a lot of other options, but for mix of money/fit/longevity/build WR is hard to top.

Regards,

Nino

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll start searching the junk yards for a new intake box. it's that or buy a new car.

i'm looking around to maybe find a '11 TSX 6speed used. They are hard to find, especially with the tech package.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
i'll start searching the junk yards for a new intake box. it's that or buy a new car.

i'm looking around to maybe find a '11 TSX 6speed used. They are hard to find, especially with the tech package.
i been shopping for an 11 myself and its impossible. mostly for a wagon especially.

·
Registered
390 Posts
LOL!

A BRAND NEW lower half of the stock air filter box can be purchased from Acura online for about $55.

If you need the top half too, that will set you back another $50.

You're combing through junkyards to avoid spending $50, but the alternative is buying a new car?

:thread:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL!

A BRAND NEW lower half of the stock air filter box can be purchased from Acura online for about $55.

If you need the top half too, that will set you back another $50.

You're combing through junkyards to avoid spending $50, but the alternative is buying a new car?

:thread:
i haven't checked acura parts costs, but thanks for the info. I expected the part to cost much more than $50 to be honest, hence the junkyard comment.

and I just want a new car, so this is a good excuse, especially considering i need new tires, new shocks, the front end needs repainting (too many rock chips) the passenger side rear window starting making a wonderful noise the other day, etc.

so don't be such a tit. (f)(l)(a)(

·
Jeff
902 Posts
since the bolt holes on my intake box broke, I have this horrible sound/vibration around 2500rpm. I am also worried about the seal not being tight and debris getting into the engine.
I've ruled out getting a CAI because the bottom of the intake housing gets reused and it is where the bolt holes cracked.

my thinking now is that a short ram intake and a better exhaust system will obviously fix any concerns about vibrations from the intake, and also improve MPGs on the highway.

my concern is; will i loose power on the lowend? that would be bad considering the little power these engines put out. and would i really see any MPGs?

any thoughts on a good combination of intake and exhaust that wont brake the bank, and won't sound like a lawnmower?
what bottom of the intake housing? I thought a cold air intake, such as injen, replaces the whole stock intake (stock tubing, airbox, resonator, everything)

·
Registered
390 Posts
and I just want a new car, so this is a good excuse, especially considering i need new tires, new shocks, the front end needs repainting (too many rock chips) the passenger side rear window starting making a wonderful noise the other day, etc.

so don't be such a tit. (f)(l)(a)(
Haha fair enough. But all those other reasons seem like the excuse, not a $50 piece of plastic :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.