Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely a noob question... But I've been reading a ton of threads about CAI and SRI and I've decided to just go with SRI since I live in Massachusetts and the rain and puddles here could be really awful sometimes. So, with that being said, I'm not really sure how an SRI and the intake resonator are related to each other. I keep reading things about removing the OEM resonator and having an SRI but I just don't know how the two are related and I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere after searching for a while. If I do buy the SRI (most likely K&N), would I ALSO have to remove the OEM resonator?

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
The resonator is just the bottom part that is hooked up to your stock intake. Some people take them out and call it a cheap short ram. If you got a K&N you don't have to take it out but it will look cleaner with it out. I would look into a short ram with a heat sheid that will help keep the heat away from the filter. Comptech makes a really nice one and I think there are a couple other ones out there but they are not cheap.

Just my opinion I am sure others can help you out more. Good luck !

·
Registered
11 Posts
wondering if i should do a short ram intake instead of cold air intake too. are there any disadvantages to doing a short ram instead?

·
FG2 to CU2
237 Posts
Honestly, you'll probably never get anywhere close to the claimed HP gains from the respective manufacturers for SRI or CAI without a proper tune. An untuned ECU will offset the gains in air flow and set the air/fuel ratio's to close as possible to stock.

A SRI is a good noise maker, but you can do that yourself by removing the intake resonator. SRI are also prone to heat soak due to its location in the engine bay. CAI would give you best gain for buck if you have tuning software, but gotta be mindful of driving through large puddles, lakes, rivers, and the likes.

As to the original OP's question, you can install a SRI without removing the OEM resonator. Like Obert said, you can remove it so the engine bay looks cleaner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a noob to tsxclub. I'm not 100% where to post my question but I appreciate any help. I am installing a cai on my 2010 tsx 4banger and I see three hoses connected to my factory intake and only one plus the maf on the intake, in short, what do I do with the other hoses?;)

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
I'm a noob to tsxclub. I'm not 100% where to post my question but I appreciate any help. I am installing a cai on my 2010 tsx 4banger and I see three hoses connected to my factory intake and only one plus the maf on the intake, in short, what do I do with the other hoses?;)

Pics would help on what you talking about but that is what mine looks like. Just the one hose and the map sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts