Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello TSXclub members! I'm a noob to the forum and TSX world (although I've owned Acura's in the past). I'm currently looking for a 2010-2011 TSX and hopefully I'll end up getting one soon!

My question is, would you consider buying a 2011 TSX that has been in a major accident? I came across one at my local dealership that caught my eye. The car looks almost brand new, only has 32,000 kms and drives extremely smooth. The only problem is that it has an insurance claim of about $13,000 on it - ouch! The dealership says that it had an accident at 28,000 kms to the front left, but that's it. They couldn't provide much detail on the accident or what exactly was affected.

Is this a car I should completely avoid? I live in Canada and the insurance claim is almost half of the market value for a TSX with no accident history here. Normally I would stay away from a claim that large, but the sales guy says that nothing structurally was damaged (I know... He's just being a salesman!). Is it possible that the car didn't have anything structurally wrong with it even though the claim amount was so high? Could it all be cosmetic for that amount? If this is a car that should be worth considering, what's a good price to pay for it if the market value is about $29,000? This is for a fully loaded V4 automatic with tech package and they're asking $25,800 for it... Is $23,000 fair?

I don't have a carfax account, but the VIN is JH4CU2F6XBC800071 if someone can check to find out more info. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
My brother got into an accident worth $8K in damage. His wheels caved into the well and the suspension system was in half. There were also major side damage. It was bad. I told my brother it might not drive the same. He has yet to get it back so I can't get an opinion from him.

With that being said, I can't imagine how a $13K damage looks like. There's got to be structural damage of some kind. It's hard to believe that there isn't.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can always ask them to take it to your body shop and ask them to do an inspection and tell you what was changed, painted and fixed and whether there was any frame damage. 13,000 is pretty high for just "front left" fender bender with no structural change.
It will cost you a little up front but save you a lot in the long run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't do it.

You as a buyer have no idea where the car was repaired. Was it repaired with integrity/ by an honest shop OR was it done by someone looking to make it 'look' fixed for as cheap as possible. You'll never know until a year or more from now.

If the paint or welds weren't done properly, you can expect rust. A buddy of mine has an 06 RSX with a 'salvage' title, and it's rusting really bad, and the paint is wavy.

If you can, i'd look elsewhere. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm off my high now and the rush of the deal has subsided. I think I'm going to pass on this one and pay the extra to get one without history like this. The headache of dealing with potential issues down the road or even having trouble selling it again in the future doesn't sound like it's worth it. I might as well pay a bit more upfront and have peace of mind.

·
pedal damn it
2,900 Posts
^ :tu:

I would never buy ANY CAR that was in a major accident... probably any accident for that matter. Not worth it in the long run. Buy new or used and clean or not at all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If insurance companies paid the highest bidder i'd be ok, but they all HATE a local shop because he only uses OEM parts. They have done everything they can to keep people from going to him. Thats why i'd avoid it. It was work done by the lowest bidder which does not equal quality work.

·
四世
1,767 Posts
$13k worth of damage??? That is a lot and yea, you have no idea what has been damaged and how badly, though like Danny said, I can imagine there's been some structural damage. Honestly, don't chance it. Like SLIK said, go for something with a clean title or a new car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd not say no to used cars that has been in accidents, but $13k in damage is HUGE.

It's not to say it cannot be a problem-free car now that it's been fixed, but why take that chance? There are other cars out there and I'd rather take a car with higher mileage for the same $$ than one that's been in a $13k damage.

I can't imagine what would cost $13k to repair, even by dealership.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Whoa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts