Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys..I'm a girl who knows little about cars, but I love my TSX. I am the original owner and have had very few issues with my car. However, at 10 years on, I am noticing issues with my manual transmission. No noises of any type, but I am noticing issues when I downshift to turn corners, etc ... the gears don't seem to be connecting as before. Also, during rapid acceleration (like merging into traffic) I see the RPMs go way up, them back to normal. Occasionally. I have trouble shifting into reverse or into first gear after being in reverse.

My mechanic says I need to have the clutch assembly replaced and that it all comes together as a kit. He also says this is a hydraulic clutch, not like the mechanical ones my husband was familiar with in his old MG. The mechanic says to wait until my car 'won't go", as it won't hurt the flywheel, etc to continue driving it, since everything is replaced at one time.

My husband (who is not a mechanic), says there should be a way to "adjust" the clutch without replacing everything.

How should I handle this? I trust my mechanic (and the price he quoted me for the parts and labor was under $1000). But, I also don't want to pay for something I don't need. Can this be "adjusted" and is that a cheaper service than just replacing the whole thing (considering the labor cost is probably the same)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
There is a way to adjust the clutch a bit. It is nut behind the clutch pedal. However, the symptoms you mentioned seem internal maybe? Try changing out your fluid and bleed the clutch. That should help a bit if not take care of your issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We will try that first. One more question.... If I must have the entire clutch assembly replaced, would it be a good time to have the timing belt checked/replaced? I'm thinking it would save me some labor costs since he will be way up in the insides of the car anyway. But, as I said, I'm not a car expert, so I have no idea if these 2 things are anywhere near each other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bleeding clutch fluid has nothing at all to do with fixing a slipping clutch.

Fluid is there to DISENGAGE the clutch. When you push your foot DOWN on the pedal, the fluid moves the slave cylinder...which moves the clutch fork...which pushes the release bearing...which disengages the clutch so you can shift, etc.

Your clutch sounds as if it is slipping. If so...you will need to replace it. I will admit that its not easy to do this clutch as compared to other Hondas. It took me about 8 or so hours the first time in my garage.

If you're buying an aftermarket clutch, rockauto has good deals on Exedy. Exedy is not nearly as good as an original Honda clutch, but it is the only aftermarket brand of stock replacement clutch that I would recommend. For about $250, the kit comes with a clutch disc, flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bearing and a little packet of grease. So everything you need. Although, buying a new release bearing guide sleeve from Honda is a good addition.

Take it to a REPUTABLE shop. Make sure the person knows NOT to use anti sieze on the spline or bearing slide surfaces. Expect to pay between $500 and $1k USD for labor.

Flushing the hydraulics should be done as a maintenance step. The shop should be able to bleed your hydraulics (this takes like 10 additional mins, so don't let them tell you it takes hours).

If needed, the shop should also adjust your clutch freeplay as prescribed by Honda (another 5 mins of labor).
It may need to be re-adjusted after about 1k of driving.

Your car has a timing chain...not a belt. It is also on the other end of the engine as compared to a clutch. I wouldn't bother replacing the chain ever...unless it has stretched and is throwing a check engine light for a timing sensor.

·
Not JDM
1,893 Posts
There is a way to adjust the clutch a bit. It is nut behind the clutch pedal. However, the symptoms you mentioned seem internal maybe? Try changing out your fluid and bleed the clutch. That should help a bit if not take care of your issues. Good luck.
I had issues shifting at high RPM and getting into reverse and I thought my transmission was closed to being dead, and this fixed that... Although my clutch is going and I know it will need changing soon it is a temporary fix. However, for the OPs situation I think you need a clutch replacement. Change your Clutch master and Slave while you're at it. GL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts