Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting a different type of shifter. For those of you who have replaced your OEM shifter please post it. I am leaning toward trying to find a nice leather, metal, or nice plastic (vs wood or carbon fiber) kinoff like below:

but still with the gear location graphic on top.

Also is there anthing you can buy to place the shifter up higher and further back? At 6'2 it somewhat of a reach (and I can't move the seat anymore forward without my knees jammed up. Thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts

This is also a Honda knob, which they use on a few different models. I got it on eBay,; it was listed as an Accord HFP knob.

When I installed it, I left off the locknut at the base, and that, combined with the shorter profile, lets it sit quite a bit lower, giving somewhat of a short shift effect. Also, the weighty knob allows the shifts to click into gear much better.

I love it, but I really need gloves in the winter because it gets REALLY cold. The summer was not that hot, though.

I am really happy with this setup, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, because you want something a little taller than stock.......

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
What is the purpose of the locknut at the base? is it there solely to make the shifter taller?

·
Registered
54 Posts
spyguy said:
What is the purpose of the locknut at the base? is it there solely to make the shifter taller?
The nut at the bottom of the shiftknob is usually there to tighten up the shifter and it's easier to line up then without it.

-Jimmy

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
Jimmmmmmah!!! said:
The nut at the bottom of the shiftknob is usually there to tighten up the shifter and it's easier to line up then without it.

-Jimmy
Both of these points are true. The locknut, and an additional spacer that goes below the locknut, do serve to raise the shifter up quite a bit though.
When I screwed my new knob on, it just so happened that it tightened up perfectly straight, but I cranked it just a little more so that the pattern would face me a little.......

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Actually it's to alignment the shift pattern that's all, the raised shifter is just a characteristic of adding something in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts