Acura TSX Forum banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Does the Samco intake hose actually do anything or just looks?
The intake hose should be a bit more resistant to heat but the big advantage is that it is smooth on the inside compared the the factory one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The intake hose should be a bit more resistant to heat but the big advantage is that it is smooth on the inside compared the the factory one.
I already have a CT Icebox with throttle body spacer and gaskets pending install...on a fence whether to get the Samco hose to round out the intake mods.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Damn someone else with a set of the blue Samco hoses. Don't see those everyday.

Car looks good.
Yeah. These are nice. I actually worked with Samco to design them for the OEM throttle body and intake manifold. I also had them develop K24A2 coolant hoses just to make sure there wasn't any difference between the K24 and JDM K20. So I didn't have to pay a dime for these.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Yeah. These are nice. I actually worked with Samco to design them for the OEM throttle body and intake manifold. I also had them develop K24A2 coolant hoses just to make sure there wasn't any difference between the K24 and JDM K20. So I didn't have to pay a dime for these.
I am interested in knowing how much difference there was between the k24 and JDM K20 hoses? I am running the JDM ones that Js Racing sold. I have both a set of original blue ones and the eventual red ones that Js carried. Have never installed the red ones though.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
So with the diagnosis being a faulty tensioner and stretched timing chain, I think it's more than just that problem. It appears that the failure came from a loss in oil pressure since the tensioner operates off oil pressure. Next step is to remove the oil pain and inspect the oil pump. When I emptied the oil, I did notice some sludge on my drain plug. :frown2:

Hoping for the best...

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
***UPDATE***

So I've got my car fixed. I believe everything happened because the pressure relief valve inside the oil pump failed. Fortunately, I avoided major catastrophe. I found a used oil pump for $150 and installed it last weekend. I've driven the car about 20 miles since then and haven't had any issues like before. On the last test drive, I engaged Vtec a couple times as well. Now I need to wash the car since it's sat in the driveway for a month and a half.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
Glad you got it figured out. How did you come to the conclusion it was the oil pump?
After replacing the tensioner and timing chain, the problem still existed, stalling and rattling noise. So after that repair/replacement, I had thought it was the pressure relief valve. I ran across a good deal on the used oil pump so I couldn't pass it up. Even with buying that pump, I was still going to only replace the valve. But when I attempted to remove it, it wouldn't budge. On the purchased oil pump, the valve came out stupid easy like it's supposed to do. So with the valve being stuck inside the original oil pump, I just went ahead and swapped them out. I installed a new pressure relief valve as well. So it was kind of a process of elimination. I'm going to disassemble the original pump and see exactly why that pressure relief valve wouldn't come out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
After replacing the tensioner and timing chain, the problem still existed, stalling and rattling noise. So after that repair/replacement, I had thought it was the pressure relief valve. I ran across a good deal on the used oil pump so I couldn't pass it up. Even with buying that pump, I was still going to only replace the valve. But when I attempted to remove it, it wouldn't budge. On the purchased oil pump, the valve came out stupid easy like it's supposed to do. So with the valve being stuck inside the original oil pump, I just went ahead and swapped them out. I installed a new pressure relief valve as well. So it was kind of a process of elimination. I'm going to disassemble the original pump and see exactly why that pressure relief valve wouldn't come out.
Interesting! Thanks for the detailed response. Have you found any other cases of this happening on other K24s?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Interesting! Thanks for the detailed response. Have you found any other cases of this happening on other K24s?
My friend in Va Beach is a Master Honda mechanic at one of the dealerships. He told me about it. He said it isn't very common but they have ran across it in school and in the shop.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
So after all, I think the failure of the pressure relief valve caused more damage than just the oil pump. My car is down for the count once again. I've now diagnosed it to be a potential spun bearing. I plan to remove the oil pan once again this weekend and start the process of repairing the bottom end of the motor. I'm hoping I caught it soon enough that the crank doesn't need to be honed.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Wow! Seems I failed to keep this thread updated. I didn’t avoid catastrophe as the engine definitely spun a bearing. About 5 days after this last post, the car was back to it’s old tricks. When I removed the oil pan, it was as if I was mining for gold. So I parked it and have since pulled the motor to be replaced. I recently purchased a K24A2 block with 2009 TSX pistons and King bearings. The block has 11:1 compression. So I’m currently in the rebuild process. I purchased a K20 modified oil pump to be installed. So this rebuild adventure will be starting up soon. I’ve gotta be done and tuned before the Riverside Chattanooga meet in March. Tick tock tick tock….

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
***UPDATE***

Car is absolutely fixed 100% now. Since I started the rebuild process with a fresh K24A2 block, all issues were removed. Took the car to Suja One Motoring outside of Nashville two weeks ago for a dyno break in and tune. With the addition of RDX injectors, K20 oil pump, 2009 TSX pistons and 45 degree VTC, a dyno tune was definitely needed. On the conservative tune, it currently makes 214 hp and 186 tq. I'm still in the new clutch break in time. So I'll be gentle on the car for a little while but I'm anxious to feel the power increase.

Freshly machined block with 2009 TSX pistons...

Dyno day...

Dyno Video...

Feels good to be behind the wheel once again...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice! Did you choose 09 piston for the higher compression? How does the engine feel?

141 - 160 of 168 Posts