Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dark, rainy night and millions of potholes... so fun :squint:

Went through a puddle going about 40km/h and in that puddle was a pothole! Slammed the drivers' front tire HARD - hard enough to knock a fairly heavy grocery bag flying off the passenger seat onto the ground!

Quickly checked for damage - didn't see anything (it was dark and my car is lowered on H-tech's and Koni's). BUT: any right turn where my car hit a small bump/uneven road -- GRIND/SCRAPE noise! Shit...

This morning I checked and noticed the drivers' front was at least 1" lower than the passenger (unaffected) side. Maybe I snapped a spring? Bring it to a good tire shop near my office. They couldn't find a problem but when I went under the hoist, I remembered a thread from this forum (or the other one) from a few years ago -- I checked the Koni's and immediately saw the problem:

They didn't think they could re-weld on the metal flange that was now missing, since they only had a (hot) arc welder. My buddy owns a shop, so I called and he had a TIG welder. Off I went.

My buddy looked at it and said "1: I'm not welding the shock - it's gas filled... kaboom is a good possibility. 2: The metal tab/flange isn't load bearing, it's just for alignment when installing -- let's try putting the shock back in place and tightening the pinch bolt!".

Problem solved. 5 minutes.

You can see where the tab was tack-welded on and is now missing...

Side note: Car drives just fine! Amazing nothing was bent!

· I </3 NY ROADS
4,047 Posts
Ouchh!! Reason why I hate driving in the rain in NYC. Fear every puddle I see.

Aren't you worried the shock will slide down again since it's missing that tab?

I would contact Koni about it since that tab is suppose to hold up to potholes. Even though I could tell it was a massive pothole.

· What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouchh!! Reason why I hate driving in the rain in NYC. Fear every puddle I see.

Aren't you worried the shock will slide down again since it's missing that tab?

I would contact Koni about it since that tab is suppose to hold up to potholes. Even though I could tell it was a massive pothole.
The tab is very likely there only for easier installation. Since on the first pic you can see an indentation (below the bolt)... our theory is that the bolt was slightly loose and the impact allowed the collar to slip, shear off the metal tab, and slip down. When the bolt is properly tight, it actually rests 'inside' that indentation and prevents the shock from slipping down.
Again, my mechanic is very sure that the metal tab is there so you don't have to fool around with compressing the shock and lining up that indentation - the tab does it for you by stopping the shock from expanding beyond the collar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.