Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 tsx and lve been having slow starts and sometimes it won't even crank, i I'll have to turn the ignition to off again and it will fire right up. I have a optima red top (2 years old) rated @ 720cca but actually puts out 800cca. Even though the dealer says the battery is reading good they still say it a battery problem.

The auto parts store where I got the batt said the battery is fine along with the alt. 13.8 is what the alt is charging is that right or is it supposed to be 14.5?

Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
The starter for the TSX is just a weak one. Since I've owned my car the start has always been weak. I've read that new non-oem starters are much better but I'm not replacing mine until it dies. You might be on your way.

I've also read that it has something to do w/fuel saving and design. Don't really know what that means...

If it bothers you that much, you can goto Autozone, Kragen, Advance Autoparts and buy an aftermarket one for $100-$200.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well luckily i have some extended warranty left. The dealer said there still not sure whats causing the problem, but they went ahead and ordered a new starter for me. It wont be in till next tuesday or Wednesday. So ill keep yall updated after it gets repaired and tested out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Supposed to be normal behavior for this engine for emission reasons. Mine does the same as does my g/f's dad's 2006. Do a search and you'll find lots of stories about this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea but its summer here in TX., and it doesnt crank (the car does nothing) sometimes on the first try.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the new starter make a big difference on how the car starts, it cranks right up; it's a night and day difference on how it starts.

·
trespassing Jeep owner
2,731 Posts
My 04 has had slow starts since I bought it. It got slower once I put the supercharger in. It's still never failed to start, though, so until that happens the starter's not getting replaced.

·
Registered
227 Posts
check your battery connections, take them both off and make sure they are nice and clean, lots of shiney metal showing and clean up your battery terminals, you can have a truck battery in your car that brand new but if your battery connections are all green and shity contact it can give you a slow crank/no start

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 04 has had slow starts since I bought it. It got slower once I put the supercharger in. It's still never failed to start, though, so until that happens the starter's not getting replaced.
My 04 has only 60k miles on it.
check your battery connections, take them both off and make sure they are nice and clean, lots of shiney metal showing and clean up your battery terminals, you can have a truck battery in your car that brand new but if your battery connections are all green and shity contact it can give you a slow crank/no start
That was the first thing I checked when I first started having this problem. I even took the ground off and sanded the paint off the body before putting it back on just to make sure I was getting a good connection.

But like I said the starter made a big difference on how it starts up now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this problem also... I jumped through hoops trying to get it diagnosed with no luck. Turns out it was just the starter being tempermental. Cold or damp weather would make it crank very slow and sometimes stop cranking all together. I thought it was a parasitic draw on the battery at first, $130 at the dealer to tell me that was not the case, but they also could not duplicate the problem because the weather was warm and dry lol. I just installed a starter from autozone and it turns over stronger than ever! Beware, the aftermarket starter did look different though (had an external solenoid).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even tho the battery tests good, doesn't mean that its good. Recheck the battery again. Also, the starter maybe going bad. If the dealer said it was a battery problem, replace the battery. If it doesn't fix the issue, return it and get a new starter.
I just had a new starter put on. But I had the place where I got my 2 yr old optima battery check it and I was fine.

I had this problem also... I jumped through hoops trying to get it diagnosed with no luck. Turns out it was just the starter being tempermental. Cold or damp weather would make it crank very slow and sometimes stop cranking all together. I thought it was a parasitic draw on the battery at first, $130 at the dealer to tell me that was not the case, but they also could not duplicate the problem because the weather was warm and dry lol. I just installed a starter from autozone and it turns over stronger than ever! Beware, the aftermarket starter did look different though (had an external sole
noid).
Well I had warranty for my new starter thank god, and yes it does start stronger. I really think that slow starts are starter related, well maybe not all of them lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts