Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for the people who's stereo and HVAC control lights stopped working.

There already is a sticky covering this issue but for the unfortunate people who ran out of warrantee like me, I'm going to walk you through the process.

The part you need is 3917A-SEC-A01
When you go on-line to buy it, there is going to be a CP and RM. You want the CP. RM is for the guys who were covered by warrantee. CP is for customers who had to purchase the part by themselves.

I bought my part through acurapartsnow.com There will be a $125 core charge but you will get it back once you send back the old PCB. Now lets get started.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First you pop out the hazard button and unscrew the phillips screw underneath.

Next you want to pry off the plastic panel and unscrew the screw near the HVAC control. Prying these panels are not as simple as people are making it seem. The easiest way is to open the pass door and start from that corner. Be careful not to scratch or damage the surrounding plastic.

Then you pry off the other panel and unscrew the screw. The way to do this is to drop the steering wheel down so you can get your pry tool on the opposite edge.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car still had the cassette player. First you pop off the plastic surround and remove the four 10mm bolts holding it down. Be careful not to drop the nuts when removing them. They will be a huge pain to retrieve. If you have a cubby hole, it just pops out too. The last thing you want to do is to remove two 8mm screws holding the inside bracket down. These screws will be a little hard to find. Get a flash light and look in the hole. You will see them.

Now pull the whole assembly out, and disconnect all the harness plugs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the unit taken out.

Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the CD player and one bracket by removing four screws. The CD player will slide out.

This is what the new PCB will look like in the box it comes in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://photos.imageevent.com/astroboy/workstuff/tsxtsb/B04-021.pdf

Here is the how to link so I won't get too detailed here.
Remove the heat sink and top cover. Make sure you remember which screw went where because there are 5 different kinds.

Next carefully remove the PCB and detach the ribbon cable.

The bad PCB. Ouch.

New vs old.

Now put everything back together in reverse order. They will give you a new serial number sticker and new stereo code. Make sure to not loose it!

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
So what's total cost and time involved, mine went out at like 125,000miles. Damn warranty isn't covering anything after I got my 04. I got headlight condensation, bad ballast, PCB lights out, differential went bad and blew apart, drivers seat loose, good write up though. I'm going to eventually do this, thought about adding a second music player to my cubby to play USB and possibly ipod

Sent from my HTC Rezound on VZW 4G LTE

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what's total cost and time involved, mine went out at like 125,000miles. Damn warranty isn't covering anything after I got my 04. I got headlight condensation, bad ballast, PCB lights out, differential went bad and blew apart, drivers seat loose, good write up though. I'm going to eventually do this, thought about adding a second music player to my cubby to play USB and possibly ipod

Sent from my HTC Rezound on VZW 4G LTE
The part itself was $76.90. However you get charged with a core charge of $125 that will get refunded after you send the PCB back. It took me an hour and a half to do everything. Swapping the PCB was easy but taking out the stereo was time consuming, since you have to be careful not to damage anything.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
3,260 Posts
+ REPPPPPPPPPPPP!!

thanks so much for posting this up.

My AC button lights went out and it's been bothering me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is the new PCB will come with a prepaid Shipping label to Honda. DO NOT use the label and ship it to them. You will ship the old part to the dealer you got your board from. Honda only accepts the core from the dealer so if you send it to Honda directly, you will loose your refund.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow after reading pages of the old thread this one makes it cake! Good write up should def sticky and make into one post. Nice job

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Also I received my refund the same day they received the old PCB. Acurapartsnow seems to be a good company to buy this part from.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks! Also I received my refund the same day they received the old PCB. Acurapartsnow seems to be a good company to buy this part from.
I was having the same issue and I got the PCB replaced by acura. The only thing that was fixed on mind was the clock and temperature display and the radio buttons were only lighting up for a week and died after that. Also the climate control buttons never got to lit up. idk what could be wrong know. I`m used to the darkness of my car at night now. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Mine is an 04 with navi.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to necro, but would it be possible to just change the bulbs over to LEDs? Less power draw would mean that the problem of the PCB overheating and causing the issue would go away, right?

That is only if the lights aren't completely off yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to necro, but would it be possible to just change the bulbs over to LEDs? Less power draw would mean that the problem of the PCB overheating and causing the issue would go away, right?

That is only if the lights aren't completely off yet.
I tried this and It didn't work. So changing the board is the way to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used your thread to complete the fix. As I got the head unit apart I found that all of the screws were marked and that the PCB had already been replaced.(same blue sticker on the case) I bought my 04 tsx with 80k on it and now it has 145k. Worst case scenario the PCB unit lasted only 65k miles. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would certain climates effect the life of the PCB? This just makes me question the integrity of the new part, and if the fix for the refurbished units from acura is actually a fix.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
aoberoi
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing