Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first time I used the A/C. It was really hot today and the A/C was freezing cold. It works great ... the only thing was this night i was driving around with climate control on OFF and you know how a little air blows out from the vents, well the smell that was coming out smelt really bad. It didnt smell when it was on full blast though. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it because it is new and its the first time using it? let me know, thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I had this problem w/ my TSX a while back, its some kinda of mold growing inside the ducts. Its because the A/C wasn't used in a while and heat and cold mixture in the ducts make the mold grow. Its bad to use the dual zone climate control thing, which I believe is what cause it to grow because of the inconsistent temperatures on both sides.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but the car is brand new .... uhggg .... do u know how to clean them out? will the dealership do it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
hmm, sorry i haven't had this problem, wheres the Air filter on the TSX?... behind the glove box?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agent_Chen said that the ducts of the vents have the mold, not the filter ... the ducts seem like they will be pretty hard to flush out

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I cleaned it out by turning on the heat and running it medium blast and rolled down the windows, it eventually got rid of the moldy smell. If that doesn't work then you may have to take it to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spray some lysol through the front exterior vent while the AC is running
then shut it down for the night. Leave windows open if you have a garage.

Do this in the home ac intake too when changing filter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the smell is like "mephitis", then it's not the filter

I do have a bad ACC filter, it's not too bad for the smell :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yesterday I used the A/C for the first time this season and I think I had the same problem......

Actually I should put it differently: For the most part, it's not like we use the A/C or we don't, because we turn on the same system in the cold weather as in the warm weather. With the Nav, if you activate the A/C screen, there's actually a "button" to press "A/C," but I've never understood what that is, because -- doesn't "air conditioning" automatically kick in (or not) according to what temp you set????

Anyway.....what I mean is, this was the first time of the season where I set the climate-control temp LOWER that the outside temp -- i.e. it was the first time that the "air conditioning" had to kick in.
And I got this very unusual smell. I wouldn't say it was terrible, just unusual.
I don't remember having gotten it the first couple of years (I've had the car since Apr. '03). But maybe it did happen and I just don't remember.
Still, I assumed it was because of it being the first time of the season that I made the A/C kick in.
I used it again today, and there was no smell.

·
Registered
106 Posts
larchmont - Actually no. I wish it worked that way too. The auto-climate control tries to use fresh air + no AC as much as possible. It will only turn on recirculate and AC sometimes, when it absolutely can't make the outside air do what it needs. I love Climate Control but I also loved having my old car dust free (virtually) when I used recirculate only.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sygyzy said:
larchmont - Actually no. I wish it worked that way too. The auto-climate control tries to use fresh air + no AC as much as possible. It will only turn on recirculate and AC sometimes, when it absolutely can't make the outside air do what it needs. I love Climate Control but I also loved having my old car dust free (virtually) when I used recirculate only.
Nice post -- but I don't fully understand it and I wonder if you could explain it some more:

(1) About whether the A/C comes on "anyway": It doesn't sound to me like this changes what I said, at least not much -- because if you set the climate-control temp to a number less than the outside temp, wouldn't it always be true that "it absolutely can't make the outside air do what it needs" without kicking in the A/C???

(2) It seems that you know exactly what makes the air filtration system kick in or not. I don't, and I'd love to know.
Can you say some more about it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts