Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a really heavy smell coming from what seems to be the rear of my engine. It is instantly noticeable after I get out of the car after driving it but is gone after 2 hours or so. I only do medium runs in the car 30-40kms at a time so I can't tell you if it is immediate or only after a decent drive.

It is hard to describe the smell. I know it isn't burning oil though. ( I wish I had smellovision to share it with you)

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I will be taking the car in for service soon and am not sure if it can wait until then.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to my honda dealer today. The clutch needs replacing.

They wanted to charge me $2239.00 to do the replacement.

I have since bought an Exedy heavy duty clutch kit and will get my local mechanic to do the work for me.

Total of Exedy and labour $1200

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
good job for finding a cheaper place!

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The guy that supplied me the clutch sent the wrong one so I had to wait extra time.

But in the meantime I picked up a comptech lightened flywheel too.

All together now getting put in on Friday

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
FTW for a good excuse/solution to stock parts gone bad. Now question is... why did your clutch go out so quickly? What is the reasoning behind the smell?
Clutches smell when they start slipping, its a really gross smell too.

Clutches can break or wear very quickly... For instance my spoiled friend just got a 2011 STI last year for is b-day (yeah ik ik) he has never driven a stick before. Car has 6k on it and guess what, the clutch slips at the top end.

It really depends on how well you drive a stick and how delicate and or accurate you are with the clutch.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I burnt it out on a very vigourous drive through an industrial area.

plus the car has done 150000Km's on stock clutch.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
picked up my car from the mechanic today.

Still getting used to the new clutch and flywheel though!

My first impression is that the stall point has been raised but when it is moving it is awesome. The pull in second is great. Clutch is nice and tight, perfect grab every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts