Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 6-speed TSX. It doenst handle very well in the snow sometimes. Would snow tires in the front help at all? Or maybe some extra lbs. in the trunk?

Any suggestions would be great....

Thanks
:banghead:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Extra weight in the trunk would have the opposite effect of what you want; it would take weight off the wheels driving the car- the ones in the front.
The consensus of all the posts I've read about this subject is that four, not two, snow tires make a great improvement in driving the TSX in the snow, although some people said they have no problems with the OEM tires in the snow.
So far I've had no problems here in the NYC area with driving in the snow with the OEM tires. That said, next winter I think I'll get four snow tires, just for the extra margin of traction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm i guess i better start saving now for next winter...seems like snow tires are not very cheap. Thx for the reply

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I haven't had problems driving my TSX in the snow with OEM tires on it. Like in any snowy conditions just drive slow and don't rush to your destination.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Just this morning, i had to climb a pretty steep hill to park by the train station. A minivan and couple other cars could not make it up due to the amount of ice on the hill. The TSX, with the VSA light blinking like crazy, made it up with ease.

Lets hear it for VSA!

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
the-4-2-0-kid said:
i got a 6-speed TSX. It doenst handle very well in the snow sometimes. Would snow tires in the front help at all? Or maybe some extra lbs. in the trunk?

Thanks
:banghead:

YES. Tires will make ALL the difference.

get these. Absolutly the BEST snow tires EVER... well the street legal ones anyway (e.g. no metal studs). Buy them NOW! ;) you wont regret it.

"The Tire Rack has been the largest single source of Blizzak studless winter tires in the United States since their introduction in 1993. We have tested them on ice and in the snow, as well as driven on them through South Bend, Indiana's "mild" and "wild" winters. We have found that no All-Season tire or other winter tire has matched the Blizzak's confidence-inspiring combination of deep snow, packed snow and ice traction."

EVERY magazine article I have read o snow tires rate these the asbsolute best for tractyion and value. From Road & track to GRM magazine, to even sport compact car.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/blizzfaqs.jsp

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
i have blizzak for my accord for the past 4 years, getting a new set for the tsx this coming winter.

The blizzak is only 50% snow tire, after the snow threads are gone, it's just some regular one..

--

tirerack

The Blizzak's Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth, with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 6sp. too and I just had to drive home terrible snow and ice on tuesday. It took me 4 hours to go 18 miles... this was the first time i drove the TSX in snow and on ice and it handled so well. I was suprised that i didnt lose traction once.... i love this car

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
the-4-2-0-kid said:
Snow tires are actually relatively cheap, because they don't have to be warranteed not to fail at 150mph. The steel wheels that most people mount them on can save alloys, too.

Studded snows remain legal in many states, my last set of Dutch Vredestein studded snows lasted me 5 seasons, my current set of unstudded Michelin Arctic Alpins on the same car are getting marginal at the end of the second season. The downside of studded snow tires is that they're awfully noisy.

I have Dunlop Winter Sport M2s on the Acura, they'e still OK at the second season, but in the snow they're not as impressive as the Michelins. Or the studded snows.

·
Registered
40 Posts
lucky8 said:
I have a 6sp. too and I just had to drive home terrible snow and ice on tuesday. It took me 4 hours to go 18 miles... this was the first time i drove the TSX in snow and on ice and it handled so well. I was suprised that i didnt lose traction once.... i love this car

I would hope you wouldn't lose traction averaging 4.5 mph.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
JoeB18R said:
YES. Tires will make ALL the difference.

get these. Absolutly the BEST snow tires EVER... well the street legal ones anyway (e.g. no metal studs). Buy them NOW! ;) you wont regret it.

"The Tire Rack has been the largest single source of Blizzak studless winter tires in the United States since their introduction in 1993. We have tested them on ice and in the snow, as well as driven on them through South Bend, Indiana's "mild" and "wild" winters. We have found that no All-Season tire or other winter tire has matched the Blizzak's confidence-inspiring combination of deep snow, packed snow and ice traction."

EVERY magazine article I have read o snow tires rate these the asbsolute best for tractyion and value. From Road & track to GRM magazine, to even sport compact car.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/blizzfaqs.jsp
Thanks for the info! I might do that NEXT winter.

If I and my stock tires survive this one. :nervous:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Pirelli Also Makes a Great Snow Tire, just put them on my dads porsh (yeah RWD, 9 inch wide wheels in the back... not a snow friendly combination), and that thing now handles as well as my car in the snow, if not better, You'd have to be a complete idiot to get stuck driving that car (Ground clearance Issue Aside of course)

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have blizzaks, safest choice of my winter life. cant express how impressed i am. ASLO add weight to the rear, contrary to the less weight on wheels story, having wieght in the back keeps your back wheels PLANTED, i spun out on the highway because my OEM tires werent suitable for winter and i forgot to keep refilling gas (rear weight) and not even turning, the back end just drifted out, not the fron tires. keep that shit weighted

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've driven on snow tires in the winter for the last 5 years, ever since I started routinely using summer performance tires for the other 3 seasons. Since my TSX is new and is mostly a commuting car anyway, I haven't changed the tires.

I have to say that I'm impressed by the stock Michelins in snow. I figured that coming from snow tires and AWD on my other car I'd be sliding all over the place in the TSX, and it hasn't happened. As long as I driven the car tamely it has been fine. I should add that I haven't tried driving it anywhere particularly hilly yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts