Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im @ 99k miles and i can feel it slipping. I've been researching clutch kits and flywheel combos and i cant come to a final decision. I keep reading that the DC5R flywheel is the one to get and the Exedy stage 1 clutch kit is also the clutch to get. I just dont know which Exedy Clutch will pair up with the DC5R flywheel?

EXEDY Globalparts Corporation | High Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels
OEM replacement or stage 1?

Are these wrong? Do i have to look into buying a RSX clutch kit if im running the DC5R flywheel?

I was also looking at Clutchmasters FX300/350 but im reading alot of mixed reviews. Im not looking to make my TSX a racecar. Right now I only have a CAI, Hi flow cat, greddy evo 2. I think maybe a header and LSD to be done with it.

ANY input would be grateful as im looking to purchase parts like NOW.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just noticed that both TSX and RSX on Exedy stg 1 Clutch have the same part number: 08806.
Are they the same exact part or still different?
Will the TSX Clutch STG 1#08806 fit the DC5R flywheel?
Or do i need the RSX clutch STG 1 with the same part #08806 to match the DC5R flywheel??

Specs on both links:
Disc Size 215mm
Spline Teeth / Major Dia 24T / 26mm
Clamping Force/Load exerted (lbs) 1596
Disc Material Organic
Number of Disc Single
Type (Push/Pull) Push
Sprung Center (D-core) Yes
Clutch Torque 303
Torque Capacity at Wheels 193
Torque Capacity at Flywheel 241

Suitable For Driving Styles:

Street
Auto Cross Rally

This Clutch Kit Fits:
ACURA
08806 2002 - 2007 RSX BASE 5 Speed, Must use HF02 flywheel; L4; 2.0L; Gas(K20A3)
08806 2002 - 2007 RSX TYPE-S 6 Speed; L4; 2.0L; Gas(K20A2; K20Z1)
08806 2004 - 2008 TSX BASE 6 Speed, Must use HF02 flywheel; L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A2)
HONDA
08806 2003 - 2005 ACCORD DX Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A4)
08806 2003 - 2007 ACCORD EX Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A4; K24A8)
08806 2003 - 2007 ACCORD LX Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A4; K24A8)
08806 2006 - 2006 ACCORD LX SPECIAL EDITION Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A8)
08806 2005 - 2005 ACCORD SE Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A4)
08806 2007 - 2007 ACCORD SPECIAL EDITION Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A8)
08806 2006 - 2007 ACCORD VALUE PACKAGE Must change Flywheel to HF02 when using performance clutch Kit (08806); L4; 2.4L; Gas(K24A8)
08806 2008 - 2008 CIVIC MUGEN SI 5 speed, 6 speed, Vehicles with 5 speed transmission must change flywheel to HF02 for performance clutch kit (08806).; L4; 2.0L; Gas(K20Z3)
08806 2002 - 2008 CIVIC SI 5 speed, 6 speed, Vehicles with 5 speed transmission must change flywheel to HF02 for performance clutch kit (08806).; L4; 2.0L; Gas(K20A3; K20Z3)

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
552 Posts
You'll need a clutch kit made for the RSX Type S to use that flywheel

The clutches are the same, but they tell you to use a flywheel from a RSX Type S if you have a TSX/RSX Base flywheel

No

Or do i need the RSX clutch STG 1 with the same part #08806 to match the DC5R flywheel??

Yes

A little redundent, but I wanted to answer each of your questions :)

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll need a clutch kit made for the RSX Type S to use that flywheel

The clutches are the same, but they tell you to use a flywheel from a RSX Type S if you have a TSX/RSX Base flywheel

No

Yes

A little redundent, but I wanted to answer each of your questions :)
You did fine! thank you very much! if decide to with the rsx clutch and flywheel. will i need a LSD specific for the RSX or can i use one for the TSX

Acura - TSX (2003-08) 6-Speed
60.309.190WK

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone out there with a
RSX Exedy stage 1 #08806
Competition Clutch flywheel 11.5 #2-800-ST
combo??

maybe a long shot also with an LSD? lol
What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
134 Posts
i just replaced with the exedy stage one for tsx. feels better, but i miss the feeling of a heavy duty clutch like i had on my b20v turbo civic... cc stage 4 6 puck sprung with lightened flywheel!...nothing like the pop of a clutch like those!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I love my CC Stage 4! 3+ years strong!.. I don't miss my old exedy stage 2 at all..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anyone out there with a
RSX Exedy stage 1 #08806
Competition Clutc. flywheel 11.5 #2-800-ST
combo??

maybe a long shot also with an LSD? lol
What are your thoughts??
I run the 2-800-ST with the Exedy OEM replacement for the RSX-S/Si, part # KHC10.

I wrote a review some time back, if you're interested.
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...sions-competition-clutch-11-5lb-flywheel.html

With your mods and any standard bolt-ons in the future, the KHC10 will more than suffice, as well as being very comfortable to daily.

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember reading your review a while back and saw you switched out the gears. Some good info in there. I think I'm leading towards an exert clutch and either cc fw or the dc5r. One thing that has me confused is the shop I got a quote for said $750 fir the clutch and flywheel job which I completely understand. But then I also asked for the I installation of an LSD and quoted me an additional $600 for the install because it'll take 6 hours to open the tranny. But if I'm doing a clutch job isn't the tranny already Dow ??

·
Registered
325 Posts
I remember reading your review a while back and saw you switched out the gears. Some good info in there. I think I'm leading towards an exert clutch and either cc fw or the dc5r. One thing that has me confused is the shop I got a quote for said $750 fir the clutch and flywheel job which I completely understand. But then I also asked for the I installation of an LSD and quoted me an additional $600 for the install because it'll take 6 hours to open the tranny. But if I'm doing a clutch job isn't the tranny already Dow ??
It takes 2 minutes to open the trans and another 15 to install the LSD and reassemble the trans. 6 hours....lol.:

EDIT: Get some more quotes at other locations. I'd do your LSD for an extra $100 if I were the shop/tech doing the clutch. And that's just due to business and shop rate. Working on a friends car, you'd buy me some Arby's for lunch lol.

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea that's what I figured. Price for the clutch and fw I will pay. But to add the LSD also $600?? Ehhhhh

·
Registered
124 Posts
Really sounds like they're double-quoting you on R&R labor time and rates. Explain that to them and tell them you know its a very simple install that takes no more than 30 minutes.
I guess you are underestimating this to show how simple it is to do, but if you want to do this properly and check the clearences after putting LSD in, it will take you much longer then 30 minutes. This doesn't take into account most likely scenario that they will snap off all the tranny bolts to begin with, after which Acura will tell them that they are back-ordered on those and to check back in 3 months.

I'd make sure they know what they are doing before letting them touch TSX tranny and I'd pay a bit extra for that...

Regards,

Nino

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess you are underestimating this to show how simple it is to do, but if you want to do this properly and check the clearences after putting LSD in, it will take you much longer then 30 minutes. This doesn't take into account most likely scenario that they will snap off all the tranny bolts to begin with, after which Acura will tell them that they are back-ordered on those and to check back in 3 months.

I'd make sure they know what they are doing before letting them touch TSX tranny and I'd pay a bit extra for that...

Regards,

Nino

No, I'm not underestimating it at all. I do this on a daily basis at work. There are other tolerances to check besides the LSD if you:re swapping out main and countershafts as well. Having the knowledge and tools required, swapping the internals and checking lash clearance as well as differential and shaft shimming takes less than 30 minutes. Being that we're speaking about a trans shop doing the work, they should have tolerances available as well as the tools required so it shouldn't be any different.

As far as the reverse threaded bolts, they're all marked as reverse thread on the heads.

Good looking out though , most people aren't aware of that information. +rep to ya on that one thumbsup:

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the shop is Exelerate Performance who quoted me on those prices. I live in ny so that's a bit of a drive. I just wanna get my clutch n fw done right. I wanted to do the LSD but for another $600 just to add LSD while the tranny is down I think ill wait. Gotto get a couple more quotes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Excellerate in CT? He knows what he's doing. The LSD quote was probably an accident. I'm also assuming you're providing the LSD and he isn't? Just call him up. Excellerate is a very reputable vendor on the other forums. Also, an LSD is quite amazing. If you have the option to do it within your budget, now is definitely the time! Best of luck :thumbsup:

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea. Ill call this time.

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so I'm back again. Had some money issues so I didn't get a chance to replace the clutch but I got the money now and I am in need of a shop in the NYC area. If anyone knows a reputable shop PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Let me know. I need some work done. Clutch n Fly/ clutch & slave master cylinder/valve adjustment/ oil & MTF change/ spark plugs/ new fluids. Quite a bit of work but no shop that I know of with personal experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.