Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered a new tsx this week. carbon gray with the ebony interior. just graduated college, got a new job, and thought i'd treat myself to the car :) :)

with that said, HELP ME PEOPLE!!! need some advice.

first of all, i decided against the navi (even though it was only another $1000 or so). i made that decision so i'm stickin with it. plus, insurance rate went up w/ navi (is that normal?) and my insurance is amazingly low.

i've been reading up a lil on the window tinting. TINT or NO TINT? and...anyone know how much tinting should run abouts? (i'm in maryland where legal limit is 35% if that helps figure a price).

i'm not a car expert i need help on these things.

what's the best (and most reasonable priced) wax or coating for the car to keep it looking shiny. i do about 500 miles of driving a week and want something that'll keep my car looking hot even on the road! ???

what's the deal w/ the metal-trim kit that they sell? i can't seem to find pictures of the metal one online (only the wood). anyone have pictures?????

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! -- which is basically all I can say because unfortunately I know squat about those things. :D
Except to say I've never understood why people think tint is cool.
Maybe the fact that I'm a fossil explains that.
Anyway I think people talk about tint running maybe a couple hundred dollars, but I might be off.

About wax, a lot of people love Zaino which I understand isn't really a "wax."
Sounds like you know about stuff like that because you said "wax or coating." :cool:
For what it's worth, I have the Carbon Gray too and it's great with just washing, although not like if you Zaino it, and the paint does scratch pretty easily.

BTW does wax/Zaino prevent that???

I'm surprised the Nav would only have been an extra $1000. But if you don't want it/don't need it, you can use the $$ for these other things and probably have some left over.

Hopefully it won't be too long before our people who really know about these things help us out.....

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Hey orange2k4. Congrats. Must be gratifying to go to school all those years, graduate, get a job, and buying yourself a brand new car. Great choice on the color/trim combo too. :cool:

Which windows are you planning to tint? Just the rear? Back pair? or everything except the windshield? I think prices I've typically seen are between $150 to $250 (US) depending on where you go and the quality of the tint.

As far as waxing, if just want to keep the car looking clean and nice, regular washing and pretty much any wax will do. But if you want it looking brand new for a long time, a lot of people rave about Klasse, Blackfire, and Zaino.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
larchmont said:
I've never understood why people think tint is cool.
Tint is cool . . . that is, in temperature sense. :cool:
I also like the privacy it offers. :nervous:
With that being said, I don't have tints on mine. :rolleyes:

larchmont said:
paint does scratch pretty easily.

BTW does wax/Zaino prevent that???
Polish/wax offers smoother surface for particles/contaminants to slide off easier rather than sticking to the exterior. But against dings/scratches/impacts I don't think it does anything.

Also, there are waxes/polishes that hide existing swirl marks and light scratches.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many thanx! as far as the tint, i was hoping for the "cool" (temp wise) factor, esp with the black leather in the summer, so i am going to seriously consider that. maybe i'll hold out on the wax/coat materials for a lil bit then see.

i'll let you know when my baby arrives!!!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
orange2k4 said:
many thanx! as far as the tint, i was hoping for the "cool" (temp wise) factor, esp with the black leather in the summer, so i am going to seriously consider that. maybe i'll hold out on the wax/coat materials for a lil bit then see.....
I bet you're into the other cool too. :cool:

BTW many people say this, that the car is hotter if you have a dark color, either interior or exterior or both. So I guess it's true, although some other people have said it makes little if any difference. And BTW I have the exact same combo and I didn't notice any issue last summer, even without tint. And this is the first dark-colored car I've ever had, so it's a contrast to all my prior cars and I think I would have noticed any significant difference in "heat behavior" (although frankly I really don't remember what color the INTERIOR of my prior car was -- it was a silver TL-S and I think the interior was a light gray but maybe it wasn't; anyway I only had it for a year).

(edit) Wrong! A few things:
(1) Actually I had a black-interior car for 12 years (320i). Yeah, that was a while ago, and also the exterior was white and so I think of it that way, but no excuse for me forgetting that. :shy: And also.....
(2) The lady tells me the TL-S definitely had black interior.
(3) .....and besides, she says at least the seats and steering wheel definitely have gotten hotter in our black-interior cars (the TL-S, then the TSX) than in the lighter car that I had for a long time before that.
(4) But I'd never have known it myself.
Anyway the Legend that I had from '88-'02 (light colored) is my main frame of reference.

The Orange dude (edit: wrong! she's a girl!!! :shy: ) is emphasizing the INTERIOR color as being important about this. So I'm wondering, is it pretty much established that the INTERIOR color is more important for heat absorbing? And is it really established that either interior OR exterior color makes a significant difference in heat absorbing?

Off the subj, but why aren't there any orange cars? :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
larchmont said:
The Orange dude is emphasizing the INTERIOR color as being important about this. So I'm wondering, is it pretty much established that the INTERIOR color is more important for heat absorbing? And is it really established that either interior OR exterior color makes a significant difference in heat absorbing?

Off the subj, but why aren't there any orange cars? :D
A dark exterior will radiate less heat (hence, absorbing more). Some of the excess heat may be transferred to the interior via conduction, but my guess is the effect is pretty minimal compared to the the colour of the interior itself. i.e. a black ext / white int car will be cooler inside than a white ext / black int car.

There are several orange cars available today. Murano, 350Z, X-Terra, Maxima, Grand Prix, Element, Mazda6, Mazdaspeed Protege, come to mind.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are several orange cars available today. Murano, 350Z, X-Terra, Maxima, Grand Prix, Element, Mazda6, Mazdaspeed Protege, come to mind. [/B]
Don't forget the orange CL that was available a couple of years ago.
It wasn't very popular then, but now with all the new orange cars now I wonder if they will bring it back.

One orange car I saw that did look good was a Mustang convertible with a black top. It was a real orange, not this metallic-too afraid to make a real orange-orange.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha...i'm an ORANGE fan (went to syracuse) but i dont think i'd go for an orange car...EVER.

speaking of color, i was reading somewhere (maybe on these boards?) that acura was thinkin about releasing a PINK tsx? please tell me this has to be a joke. i mean, i'm a girl, i love pink, but like orange, it just shouldn't be a car color.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
orange2k4 said:
haha...i'm an ORANGE fan (went to syracuse) but i dont think i'd go for an orange car...EVER.

speaking of color, i was reading somewhere (maybe on these boards?) that acura was thinkin about releasing a PINK tsx? please tell me this has to be a joke. i mean, i'm a girl, i love pink, but like orange, it just shouldn't be a car color.
Yes, it was a joke. I think I know the thread you're talking about -- it was on another site, but written by someone who's on here too. He can be pretty funny sometimes, and I think he fooled quite a few people.

However, I've joked at times about how hot a Mary Kay Pink TSX would be.
It would be ridiculous, of course, but I bet it would be an instant classic. I'm serious.

BTW in college I used to spend quite a bit of time up at Syracuse.
I went to Cornell but my girlfriend went to Syracuse and I spent a lot of time burning Rt. 13 and I-81 with my Chevy Nova. :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can't stand orange cars so I really take notice when I see them. And there's been a lot more lately than even a few years ago. Looks like primer or rust to me.

A co-worker has the Murano with the matching orange leather interior. Horrid! :puke:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
kiteboy said:
I can't stand orange cars so I really take notice when I see them. And there's been a lot more lately than even a few years ago.....
And I don't think I've ever seen one in my life. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
kiteboy said:
A dark exterior will radiate less heat (hence, absorbing more). Some of the excess heat may be transferred to the interior via conduction, but my guess is the effect is pretty minimal compared to the the colour of the interior itself. i.e. a black ext / white int car will be cooler inside than a white ext / black int car.

There are several orange cars available today. Murano, 350Z, X-Terra, Maxima, Grand Prix, Element, Mazda6, Mazdaspeed Protege, come to mind.
Based on many years of careful observation you are all right, mostly.

I've lived in Phoenix now for just about half my life so I've had plenty of time to study this.

Darker colors will absorb and radiate more heat, that is definitely true. Interior color has some effect but it depends on how much direct sun makes its way in, up to a point. The situation becomes moot, when you are dealing with extreme temps.

Once the outside temp hits 105-117 degrees the interior is "cooking" regardless if the sun makes it in or not! Another side effect is that wax will not last very long during summer, this may not be solely due to the ultraviolet light of the sun. When paint approaches 140-180 degrees (depending on color), no wax will hold up long. I use the beading effect after a wash to determine wax protection. In summer, maybe 3-4 weeks, in winter its more like 3-4 months.

I can personally vouch for this fact, if you have a car parked outside during the heat of day in summer, even if its covered (car cover or garage), with the windows cracked open, your legs (or other exposed skin) will be "burned" contacting leather! :eek:

Obviously, the window film will not help reduce the ambient temp. But it will make the interior more tolerable when you are driving with the A/C on. You can feel this effect by just lowering the window when the sun is coming through the side window. The temp difference is dramatic, depending on tint percentage, about 15-20 degrees. Without question the degree of tint reduces heat gain, but almost as important, the film will eliminate 100% of the ultraviolet and save the interior.

BTW, the ultraviolet is hell on the paint as well. I can also attest to the fact, that none of my car covers (Kimberly Clark-NOAH grade) will last longer than a year and half, luckily they come with a 4 year warranty. It becomes sort of like a sacraficial anode. I'd much rather replace a car over every few years than do a paint job or replace interior fabrics.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
hip said:
.....Darker colors will absorb and radiate more heat, that is definitely true.....
Actually, strictly speaking, that's half the opposite of what kiteboy said, but nobody except me much speaks strictly :D
.....and in any event I get the idea -- and from what I can tell, yes, you're both saying basically the same thing, with hip giving the extra info about extreme temp.

Great info, hip and kite and orange -- thank you!

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Never say never to Mary Kay Pink TSX.

I never thought that I would see lime green and fire yellow colors on cars but now I see them on the road, they aren't half bad at all (especially the yellow on sports cars).

Not that I would buy one but why settle for a head-turner when you can get one that can induce a whiplash? :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts