Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys--

New to this forum. I own an 04 Subaru WRX. My girlfriend is looking at getting a TSX very soon, loves it a lot, but shes not too technically apt on it. Personally I know almost everything there is to know about the WRX. I'd like to have a good knowledge on the TSX before she buys it. A few questions:

What kind of problems are common in the TSX? I've searched for this and only come up with annoying interior rattles and some brake problems (car weight too heavy for the braking sys?)

Since it takes premium, whats the typical gas mileage you people are seeing?

And any more general owner info.

Personally I think the car is too expensive for her right now, just out of college, but I could be wrong. I know if I had to do it again I wouldnt get a WRX which is eating a hole in my wallet. I want her to make the most economical decision. (I view leather, heated seats, and the Acura logo as not worth the money). Oh, and shes hard to convince, loves the TSX.

Really appreciate any info you guys can just throw at me, I'm new to this car and the online forums for it. Thanks! :eek:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
:wavey: Hi ! Welcome !!!

first thing first :
I doubt you guys would even go look & consider a car if you truly think you can not afford it. normally people don't.
IMO, if you somehow manage to talk her out & get something else,
I think she ( and you :naughty: ) will regret the next time she sees a TSX cruising by.

TSX is just too hard to not like.

For bang of the buck, ie value --- the majority agree it right up there darn near the top. You REALLY get your moneys worth in reliability, looks, re-sales value, coolness, performance etc.

Problems : I have none. Some people complaint about rattles.
Gas milage - did not really pay much attention to that - I get round 25 - 28

>> and shes hard to convince, loves the TSX.
:slap: Don't try it then , dude, think "doghouse" :D

For a non-Nav, You should be able to find one < 25K easy IF you haggle hard & do your homework, since 2005 models are right round the corner.

robert, who thinks being in the doghouse is often the result of silly actions.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes indeed -- welcome, MTOH!

And how about a hand for RTG -- that was a great reply!

Larchmont, who is becoming expendable. :D

I agree with almost everything RTG says -- except one thing: I would be surprised if people are getting TSX's for "less than 25" (even without Nav), and if they are, I doubt it's easy. I'm pretty sure it would only be in certain areas, and certain dealerships. Even though we are close to when the '05's are coming out (presumably, although we don't really know), I haven't been aware of any TSX's going begging. They're still quite a bit in demand, and as far as I know, most dealers haven't had to compromise very much to sell their full allotments.

Also let's be clear what we mean when we say a certain price. I imagine RTG's figure wasn't including the "destination charge," which I think is now $625. (If you were including that, RTG, I'd have to say you're really stretching, because that would mean you're talking about $2000 or more off MSRP.) Also I'm sure RTG's number doesn't include any extras, nor any state taxes that might apply.

I would say that a good deal for the TSX (without Nav and without any extras) would be about $1000 off MSRP, which would be $25,400, plus the destination charge, which would bring it up to about $26K. I'd say that anything better than that would be a GREAT deal.

My gas mileage has also been averaging what RTG said -- 25-28. But it varies A LOT according to how you drive, and if you really want to do better than that, you can. If I wanted to, I could average about 30 without trying too hard. All I'd have to do is drive like my age. :D

I wouldn't say the braking is a "problem." It's not the greatest, but IMO it's very good. Others have disagreed and are quite disappointed in the braking, but I don't think you can exactly say it's a problem.

Compared to the WRX, I think we can summarize the TSX pretty easily: Lower on performance but not greatly so, somewhat higher on the sense of quality, and considerably higher on refinement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for those two great responses. They really help and give me some confidence in the car.

Its not just the money down, although $26k doesnt sound bad for an 04 (plus tax and tags, right). The premium gas, insurance, and other maintanence charges are more of what I am worried about. So in order to really be able to afford this car, those charges have to be low. But with premium gas priced where it is, and being located in New Jersey doesnt help any of the first two conditions. So its really up to maintanence and any problems the car may have within, say, the first 30k. My old car was a 1992 Honda accord, however, and it ran very well up til I sold it at 150k. So I will assume the TSX will run almost problem free. I just want to have a better idea of what she is getting into.

Anyway, keep the replies coming, no matter how brief. And thanks again!

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
misstheoldhonda said:
Personally I think the car is too expensive for her right now, just out of college, but I could be wrong. I know if I had to do it again I wouldnt get a WRX which is eating a hole in my wallet. I want her to make the most economical decision. (I view leather, heated seats, and the Acura logo as not worth the money). Oh, and shes hard to convince, loves the TSX.
Yeah, well, I'd love a new Porsche 911. But commuting 25,000 miles annually in a Porsche 911 would not, in my opinion, be an extremely sane thing to to, whether I could afford it or not. A warmed over 4-banger Honda Accord with fake wood on the dash and a stick shift (aka a TSX)? Yes, that's relatively sane thing for me to do.

I've always paid cash for my cars, so I think if mum and dad aren't willing to come up with a TSX as a graduation present, and it's a financial stretch, no I don't think that's the right thing to do. What was wrong with your 1992 Honda Accord? (OK, I'll agree that a 1992 Honda doesn't have a lot of character. But is character worth real money?) If not, there is a lot of interesting old (and cheap) iron out there. Just because you like cars doesn't mean you need to have an empty wallet! Pick up a copy of "Grassroots Motorsports" sometime. http://www.grmotorsports.com/

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
hmm...in Jersey huh ? sorry 'bout that.

>>So its really up to maintanence and any problems the car may have within, say, the first 30k.
So you've been happy with the 92 Accord, right ?
Well TSX should do even better....much better.
The fact that this is a 100% JDM import made it a no brainer for me for I believe demand for quality is higher in Japan than here.(throw-away society)
see my post about "JDM Accord Footage"

BTW....do anything you can...beg, steall, sell blood :D whatever to come up with the $ for the Navi system......IMO it's invaluable & makes the car so much more classy & coolness & better resale.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
.....So you've been happy with the 92 Accord, right ?
Well TSX should do even better....much better.
The fact that this is a 100% JDM import made it a no brainer for me for I believe demand for quality is higher in Japan than here.(throw-away society)......
That's a pretty tall order, to be much better than the '92 Accord. Even a little better would put it on top of everything.

Larchmont, who probably takes things too literally. :D

Truly we have to say that reliability for the TSX is still a little bit of a crapshoot. I think that by now we can safely say that short-term reliability is excellent, but longer term remains unknown. Don't get me wrong -- I'm extremely optimistic, based partly on what RTG is saying but mostly just generally on Honda/Acura's track record.

I'm a stickler for reliability, and in general I'd be very wary about getting a first year model. But the TSX had enough going for it that I didn't hesitate at all to get it. From the git-go I thought it was very likely that the car would have very good reliability, and the experience to date bears that out.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
misstheoldhonda said:
Hey guys--

New to this forum. I own an 04 Subaru WRX. My girlfriend is looking at getting a TSX very soon, loves it a lot, but shes not too technically apt on it. Personally I know almost everything there is to know about the WRX. I'd like to have a good knowledge on the TSX before she buys it. A few questions:

What kind of problems are common in the TSX? I've searched for this and only come up with annoying interior rattles and some brake problems (car weight too heavy for the braking sys?)

Since it takes premium, whats the typical gas mileage you people are seeing?

And any more general owner info.

Really appreciate any info you guys can just throw at me, I'm new to this car and the online forums for it. Thanks! :eek:
First of all, I wouldn't try to convince her NOT to get the TSX. If she wants it, you need to HELP her get the TSX.

The brakes are good. They will be better than any brakes on an Accord. Whoever said the brakes cannot support the weight of the car is insane. Its not a Corvette, but it can definitely stop itself easily.

The insurance is not that bad. For you in NJ will suffer, but it will be less than your WRX. Gas mileage ranges from 25-30mpg, so the premium gas factor is not that much. There will be no maintenance other than 5000 mile oil & filter changes. (10,000 miles for granny style driving).

If she wants heated leather seats, and all the goodies, maybe you should show her the Mazda 3. It can be had with navigation system, leather and all the goodies for 23k. msrp.

The only problems on the TSX for most people are intermittent rattles. You may or may not have rattles, and you can easily find a dealer willing to work on those rattles for you for free under the 50k mile warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great responses again, thanks. Are the dealers really that helpful for warranty work? I havent had luck with Subaru!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
misstheoldhonda said:
Great responses again, thanks. Are the dealers really that helpful for warranty work? I havent had luck with Subaru!
My third Acura, and I've never had the slightest problem with warranty work.

Then again none of my Acuras ever needed much. :bowdown1:

Whatever was needed was always done real well.
I'm surprised it was a problem with Subaru.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
misstheoldhonda said:
Dealers jump on Warr. works. LOVE'em.
Mechanics LOVE'em too (it's like HMO in reverse --- Honda say's I will pay ya 4 Hrs to do this....they do the job in 2, gets paid for 4)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
Dealers jump on Warr. works. LOVE'em.
Mechanics LOVE'em too (it's like HMO in reverse --- Honda say's I will pay ya 4 Hrs to do this....they do the job in 2, gets paid for 4)
Yes indeed.

Why tf would there have been a problem with Subaru on this? :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
misstheoldhonda said:
Figured they dont want to spend the money for parts and labor I guess? Not sure.
But that's just it -- they don't have to. As RTG said, they get paid for it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I took my Honda Accord Euro in for its 1000 K service last Monday so it is the first time I have delt with this particular dealer.. however I have nothing but praise for them so far. Before I took my Euro in for its first service the car was running ok, a little rough and noisy though, also there was an issue with a rattle in the left hand rear passenger door. I filled out a customer service request form, stated what the problem was and where it was, and left it to them. Later that afternoon I picked it up and was impressed when I drove it out of the dealership, it accelerated smoother, was quieter and seemed to have more power than before! Not only that but the door rattle was gone! Apparently they took the door apart, lubricated the moving parts, tightened some bolts and components and put it back together again, tightening the trim as they finished.

So far so good, I am impressed by Honda's service :thumbsup:

One question, I didn't pay for the labor but had to pay for the oil and filter, is this standard practice? I was under the impression they would pay for both parts and labor in its first service?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
......One question, I didn't pay for the labor but had to pay for the oil and filter, is this standard practice? I was under the impression they would pay for both parts and labor in its first service?
Probably it varies from dealer to dealer, and it depends on whatever your deal was. As to whether there's any USUAL practice in your area, we over here aren't going to be able to tell you anything, because I think it varies even within the same country, and even in the same state or city.

My general prior experience was that only some aspects are covered but not others; with most of my cars, I seemed to always have to pay for something in the first servicing and the first few after that. Whether it was labor or parts/supplies that I paid for, I really don't remember.

When I got my TSX, they told me that every second servicing would be free for a while. (I didn't really pay that much attention, since at the time all I cared about was getting the car.) But still I didn't expect that "free" really literally meant FREE.

But it turned out that it did. When the salesman was telling me about the free servicings he was showing me this little booklet they were giving me, with "coupons" in it for the free servicings. When I first brought the car in, I didn't bring any coupons because I wasn't feeling like looking for them. But still, they did it totally for free. I didn't expect that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
larchmont said:
Probably it varies from dealer to dealer, and it depends on whatever your deal was. As to whether there's any USUAL practice in your area, we over here aren't going to be able to tell you anything, because I think it varies even within the same country, and even in the same state or city.

My general prior experience was that only some aspects are covered but not others; with most of my cars, I seemed to always have to pay for something in the first servicing and the first few after that. Whether it was labor or parts/supplies that I paid for, I really don't remember.

When I got my TSX, they told me that every second servicing would be free for a while. (I didn't really pay that much attention, since at the time all I cared about was getting the car.) But still I didn't expect that "free" really literally meant FREE.

But it turned out that it did. When the salesman was telling me about the free servicings he was showing me this little booklet they were giving me, with "coupons" in it for the free servicings. When I first brought the car in, I didn't bring any coupons because I wasn't feeling like looking for them. But still, they did it totally for free. I didn't expect that.
Well the thing that got to me is my dealer told me that the service would be 'Free' now my Fiance and I went there expecting it to be Free because that is what our dealer contact told us. So when I go to Honda's service centre to pick up the car I am assuming that Honda was covering the service and parts! Well I went into their little office to pick up my keys, my Dealer contact came with us, then all of a sudden we are handed a bill for 47 dollars by the guy incharge of the service centre! I was like :confused: :smash: .What is this charge, you told me that the service was free", I asked my Dealer contact, her response "oh sorry I should have mentioned that you have to pay for the parts, we only cover the labor! Then I was like :hmmph: :mad: I mean what if I didn't have the cash on me, were they going to keep the car untill I payed?

They are just lucky that they did a good job and got rid of the door rattle ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
.....all of a sudden we are handed a bill for 47 dollars by the guy incharge of the service centre! I was like :squint: What is this charge, you told me that the service was free", I asked my Dealer contact, her response "oh sorry I should have mentioned that you have to pay for the parts, we only cover the labor!.....
Sounds like if you feel like it, you could take this to a higher level (or maybe even just press it further with that contact) and you'd have a chance to get the money back.
Which may or may not be worth it......

·
Registered
333 Posts
larchmont said:
Sounds like if you feel like it, you could take this to a higher level (or maybe even just press it further with that contact) and you'd have a chance to get the money back.
Which may or may not be worth it......
Yeah I thaught about doing that, but I am not sure if it is worth the hassle, sure I would like that 47 bucks back but how far would I have to go to get it? Not only that but if I annoy them too much they could do a really bad job next time I take my car in !

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
Yeah I thaught about doing that, but I am not sure if it is worth the hassle, sure I would like that 47 bucks back but how far would I have to go to get it? Not only that but if I annoy them too much they could do a really bad job next time I take my car in !
Both of those things are exactly what I meant.
Actually about the second part, I meant more just that it might cause a strain in your relations with them, which could include doing bad jobs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts