Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys with Nav
I haven't tested this, but
I was wondering that the system really does NOT know if the car FRONT is actually headed in the direction it tells ya to go, right ?
Say you going North on Main St and it tells ya to "make a u-turn if possible.."
well if you shift into REVERSE & start going South BACKWARDS the system does not know that the front isn't pointing South. What you think/know ?

Another thing I realized is now with the nav I am very un-mindful of what roads I have traveled.
If go from A to B using Nav and I am not familiar with the routes.
I can not recall most of the roads I was on. I'd be like "doh...what road was that ????

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
hey guys with Nav
I haven't tested this, but
I was wondering that the system really does NOT know if the car FRONT is actually headed in the direction it tells ya to go, right ?
Say you going North on Main St and it tells ya to "make a u-turn if possible.."
well if you shift into REVERSE & start going South BACKWARDS the system does not know that the front isn't pointing South. What you think/know ?

Another thing I realized is now with the nav I am very un-mindful of what roads I have traveled.
If go from A to B using Nav and I am not familiar with the routes.
I can not recall most of the roads I was on. I'd be like "doh...what road was that ????
but why would you care to "trick" the nav. It really isn't helpful in any situation. I guess you are more on the engineering side of wondering how it works?

·
Registered
332 Posts
GPS only provides x-y-z location coordinates. It derives direction from the location differential between readings. It assumes that the car happens to be pointed in the same direction, and doesn't account for reverse, or some wild-ass drift you're in. :thumbsup:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pocketkiller said:
but why would you care to "trick" the nav. It really isn't helpful in any situation. I guess you are more on the engineering side of wondering how it works?
yup I was just curious...ain't gonna be driving backwards any time soon ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
kiteboy said:
GPS only provides x-y-z location coordinates. It derives direction from the location differential between readings. It assumes that the car happens to be pointed in the same direction, and doesn't account for reverse, or some wild-ass drift you're in. :thumbsup:
From what i understand, the Nav knows which direction you're facing. Therefore, if you're baking up, it'll recognize this and guide you accordingly.

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
More accurately, the GPS reciever locates the position of the antenna phase center... the orientation of this, singular and dimensionless point, cannot be determined. The velocity vector is computed as a gradient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts