Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if this is the right section..admins feel free to move it..

anyways, sometimes when i start the car, it seems like it is 'struggling' to start..like an older car, but not so severe..in a way it sounds weak, and doesnt sound very strong i guess? it's hard to explain, i've discussed with a fellow TSXer and he has come across the same problem..now my question is, what can be done about it?

is this what the T1R voltage stabilizer is for? what exactly does this thing do? i've seen it mounted on some pics but i have the cai installed..and where the T1R sits is the cai mount..so isnt there not enough room ontop of the battery?

please help out a confused noob!

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Could be a faulty MAP sensor, crank, battery etc. Best to have your dealership check out what you're experiencing.

·
Boost = TSX's best friend
53 Posts
struggle start...

-Phase-, I am also having the same problem. It just seems like the car is not starting as easily as it did when I had bought the car. I already made an appointment with the dealer, I'll let you know what they say.

·
would you be my neighbor?
243 Posts
mine does the same thing... its probley the batt...

·
Boost = TSX's best friend
53 Posts
struggle start...

Well, I took my TSX into the dealer to have the starting problem checked out and you know what the service tech said? He said that something about the ULEV engines have that starting problem, especially the TL. He said the TL has the biggest problem with starting, much worse than then the TSX but he assured me that this is normal operation. I dunno, kinda glad I bought the extended warranty though. Better safe then sorry...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Don't know about you but I think that is the biggest load of crap I've heard. Just about all the current Honda engines VTEC, non-VTEC and i-VTEC are LEV or ULEV. Non of them have this so called "factory chracteristic".

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I thought it is a feature of the ULEV technology where all gas fumes are recycled back, so it takes a while to get some gas transfered by the fuel pump back into the engine

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
How would that affect cranking, starting up? My CL9 doesn't have any of such chracteristics. Neither do any of my other ULEV Hondas.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Noel said:
How would that affect cranking, starting up? My CL9 doesn't have any of such chracteristics. Neither do any of my other ULEV Hondas.
I think we are looking at the problem differently. It cranks just fine, it's not battery/alternator etc, but the problem is starting up.

·
your mom goes to college
120 Posts
I went for two weeks of experiencing those problems with the starting....I put and OPTIMA yellowtop in and havent had the problem since.......you guys might wanna check that out.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I know what's being described. I personally have no such experiences or know anyone with those problems. So when the dealership is saying this is all part of the "normal" operation. I'm shooting them down as usual for sending BS and wrong information to their customers. Unfortunately people always will believe dealerships simply based on the fact that they sell the cars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am glad someone brought this up as I think I also have the same issue. It actually gets worse when I leavethe car for several days - I am back from 10 days away and the car sat on a parking lot for 10 days outside. upon turning the key to start, it felt like the battery was having a real hard time. Has done that before and since some time. Now it is the winter and somewhat humid so the battery may have a hard time. If I would leave the car for say 2 or 3 weeks, I'd have doubt it would start at all...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
same here .. ~~ i even have my altenator replaced .. ~
CL9's battery and the engine start just give me a hard time if i leave the car for awhile ~
sthing wrong with it ... ~ groudwires might help but not much ~ ...

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so the overall consensus is to get groundwires + the voltage stabilizer?
how bout a better battery? will that help?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I'll let the dealership sort out the problem, you can perhaps recommend to them a replacement alternator, battery to address the concerns. No one should be forking out money because ... It does genuinely look like an Americas region common concern.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My thought is the battery is too small/weak.
This car also has higher compression ratio that other honda
motors.

Cold cranking amp rating is low on our battery.
Someone above said the optima battery solved the problem,
makes sense.

·
your mom goes to college
120 Posts
Like i said, i put an optima yellowtop in. Havent had the problem since...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts