Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I removed my door panels and deadened them with RAAMat and ensolite (closed up and sealed all of the holes in the metal panel also. It made quite a difference in mid-bass response). Also did the same thing to the trunklid.

Since I have leftover RAAMat and ensolite, I plan to remove the fenderwell liners and place RAAMat on the inside of the inner fender/quarterpanel and also cover the inside of the fenderwell liners with ensolite. Should reduce the road noise somewhat. I'll post back with my impressions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the rear fenderwell liners this weekend. I did notice a difference (probably ~20% reduction in road noise). I plan to do the fronts this coming weekend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used "carpet padding" from home depot. $11 for enough to cover all 4 doors and it made a nice difference.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some photos from this weekend:

Yep, that's the fenderwell liner. Dirty, isn't it?

Nice and clean now (Simple Green works great for this, by the way)

First bit of Ensolite:

Butted the next piece of Ensolite right up to the first piece

Finished it up using odd leftover bits

In the end, it didn't end up making a big difference, but it made some difference. I wouldn't have bought material to do this specifically, but since I had some left over Ensolite from the door deadening project and I like playing with my car, I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
great job! i've been thinking of doing the same lately, the noise has been bugging me. maybe because i drive more without music nowadays.

i'll try to do the doors, and gonna try to stuff some under the passenger carpet and such since it can be easily lifted up without removing the seats.

how much would you say the door reduced the noise by %?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the doors, I sealed/closed off all of the openings in the door skin, so the most noticeable difference was an improvement in the mid-bass response of the woofers. Road noise wasn't reduced by a lot, maybe 15-20%...

I used a sound level app on my phone to measure the car before the job. I'll do it again and compare db numbers and post up the results.

The average sound level (before deadening) on the highway @ 70mph was ~78db.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The doors do sound great after the deadening (has a nice "whoomp" sound). Very solid. I agree that prior to the deadening the doors sounded poor, very tinny/resonant. Now they sound as good (if not better) than my TL did. It did take some time to do, but was worth the effort.

I have a few pics I took of the work on the doors. I'll post them up when I can.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the RAAMaudio kit Package #1 which was plenty. I essentially followed the instructions forun on the RAAMaudio website (here).

I used butyl rubber rope (3M from Amazon) and plexiglass to seal off the openings in the door:

I taped the edges of the plexiglas to the door panel with foil tape and looked for and sealed all openings either with foil tape, or if it was a large hole, with RAAMat (paying close attention to making the door as air tight as possible. Trying to emulate an "infinite baffle" as much as possible).

I applied RAAMAt to the inner part of the outer skin and the inner part of the inner skin. I was aiming for 50% coverage on each.

The panel when the RAMMat was done (sorry for the blurry pic):

Finally, I applied Ensolite to the entire door.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great job on the doors man. I'm sure it made a really nice difference in both midrange response and lowering the road noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts