Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to do some in my trunk. looking for the best suggestion for a reasonable price. i looked around couldn't really find anything for a good price. figured someone has done some good research on the stuff and just looking for some. I am probably going to do it all myself. Should be a fun process if you tell me... hahah...

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you ahead of time. =D

·
Registered
13 Posts
honestly man it might sound stupid but i used some stuff called peel and seal its for roofing but it is literally the same thing as dynamat and its cheap ive had it in my car for about a year and no problems or smells and it works great check out some videos on youtube about it

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll deffinently look into it. I just can't stand the rattle haha. Figure I gotta try something. I also heard that the craft store has some kind of spray that someone suggested. The only ng you gotta be careful with it around heat and wires.

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also roughly how much dynomat would I need for the trunk you guys think?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have tried a bunch of the "sound deadeners", fat mat, the cheap speal and seal and I hate to tell you this but Dynamat extreme is the best. Its a little more expensive but to me after years of trying everything else i finally went with dynamat and its ability to stick and stay and not have any odor is the best. If i were you i would get a buddy and split a bulk pack. It should come out to be a pretty good deal for both of you.

Are you trying to lower the amount of rattles inside or out? Because if you have rattles in the interior its probably your third brake light. I took mine out not long after putting subs in because it rattled like crazy!

·
Registered
831 Posts
i dont like dynamat , its heavy as hell ( it will add easy 40 LBS if you do the trunk alone ) and the tar crap on the back stains and f**ks up everything that it comes in contact with , they have new stuff its thats foam with adhesive backing , look into that instead , theres actually 2 of them one is DynaPad and the other is DynaLiner

~De5

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I'm planning on. With my buddy. So you say the third break light? Also you think a bulk pack would fit my car and my buddies Altima?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
well let me be corrected...as long as you use dynamat on metal then its the best sound deadener out there. Its only designed to be used on bare metal. If you use it on your carpet im sure its probably gonna stain ;)

Only problem with dynapad and dynaliner is its thickness, its not easy to put it behind panels that may or maynot have space behind them.

One good point to make that i forgot, no matter which "sound deadener" you go with, make sure you dont leave air pockets. Air pockets will make the "deadener" not as effective. A roller is awesome for this. And wear gloves, the foil will cut the shit outta you.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
That's what I'm planning on. With my buddy. So you say the third break light? Also you think a bulk pack would fit my car and my buddies Altima?
it really depends but im betting you could get two trunks atleast, maybe more. Remember its not like paint and does not need to be uniform over all metal. It works best on flat sheet metal that will flex and move. I have seen people overkill sound deadener and it doesnt make it better it just makes it wasteful.

And yes, the third brakelight is the worst. Pull it out and you will be amazed. Not to sound ghetto but if you can figure a way to wrap towels around the metal helper bars up near your 6x9 it will help other rattles you will find after removing the 3rd brakelight. Im just lucky because my amprack hides all my towels lol.

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help man. I am looking forward to getting the rattle away. I got two jls 12 with 250 running to each. not to bad but rattles alot

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you wanna get all the rattles out I also took the entire back portion of the car out to get dynamat on the rear deck. After you do all that it will take care of almost all your rattle problems.

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me and my buddy just ordered the extreme bulk pack. Splitting the roller and that comes to like 80 bucks each. Now the hard part is installing it. Looking forward to it. Any suggestions on places to put it and what to do. ( obv first time at this.)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Me and my buddy just ordered the extreme bulk pack. Splitting the roller and that comes to like 80 bucks each. Now the hard part is installing it. Looking forward to it. Any suggestions on places to put it and what to do. ( obv first time at this.)
I got you!

First when it arrives, pick a warm day to install it. It will stick alot better and be more plyable if its warm. I suggest pulling all of it out of the box and laying it film side up in the sun for a few minutes. Again the warmer the better but to a certain point it doesnt make a difference.

2nd...your getting the roller and that is self explainitory lol

3rd...pull all plastics off. like it was said before this stuff is going to be sticky and if you touch it to something its going to leave a residue. So plan exactly where you want it to go and move everything out of your way. You want to use it on flat areas that have thin flexable metal, so you might be able to cut a few pieces in shapes to fit in areas but again dont leave air pockets because that is just wasted product.

4th...Areas to look at. When you pull out everythign in the trunk the outter panels/skin are a must cover. You will see what im talking about.

5th...if you have enough after doing you and your buddies trunks, the doors are another great area. The flat thin metal makes a great spot to stick it to. Be ready to take some time to take the panels off correctly and pull the stock sound deadner plastic away (but keep this, it does do something) and then stick it to the outer skins in the door. Its gonna be messy as hell but should stick back pretty well.

6th...make sure you clean the metal well. Dynamat loves a little heat and clean metal. Dirt will do nothing but keep the dynamat from sticking.

that should be enough to get ya started. Just the first things that came to my mind if i think of more ill repost.
Enjoy.

·
Somthing new
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+ rep homie. Lots of helpful hints here man. Definently looking forward to the process. Prob will be sick of it by half way through haha

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
you only need to cover 20-25% of the area with damping material. damping and absorbing are two different things, and there are different material for sounds absorption.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
you probably will, its one of those things that dont make you faster or look cooler but it makes the vehicle alot more enjoyable. Just take your time and watch out for the foil cutting you, its like a paper cut, but more hateful.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
agreed. i just ordered 100sqft of fatmat (same company) and will be installing it EVERYWHERE! Exhaust and SQ dont mix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts