Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the Spoon website and the N1 exhaust is out ...

http://www.spoon.jp/jpn/products/lineup_main.php?page=409

Just wondering if anyone knows if this exhaust sounds good and if it gives good performance.

The headers are also out it is 4 to 2 so I'm guessing there is another part that is needed to install in your car ? Can anyone clear this up .. ? Also does anyone know if thier headers give good power ?

http://www.spoon.jp/jpn/products/lineup_main.php?page=405

This page does not have a picture but has the pricing

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Spoon exhaust manifold headers and exhaust are designed for mid to high end gains. Definitely good performance, but it might be loud for daily driving to some. In fact all N1 catback exhaust systems are loud but are the only type to show power gains particularly on Hondas.

The exhaust manifold/headers are designed for the CL7, in order for them to be fitted on a CL9. Catalytic modifications would be required. Any competent exhaust/muffler installation shop should be able to have this fitted with some flange welding/pipe extensions.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
yes .. ~~ that's more than correct .. ~
my frd has his RSX-S with Spoon N1 .. ~ u can heard the sound in a few blocks away .. ~
denfinitely really nice .. ~ and denfinitely will get pull over one day .. ~

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
although being loud I heard the silencer that comes with it really filters alot of noise out. But will the silencer eliminate any type of gain the exhaust has without silencer or will there still be gains compared to stock ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
NOEL-- If I used the Spoon header and ran a straight pipe to my aftermarket exhaust, it'd be the same thing, just to have a shop make a straight pipe and bypass the cat, correct? Basically making it a "racing header"

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Shady TSX - The silencer is designed to reduce noise AND power. You will not have the same power gains without the silencer fitted, you're effectively blocking up the pipe. And the silencer is designed as "temporary" fitment, not a device that should be fitted and used for the majority of the driving.

The silencer's I've seen have known to be corroded overtime causing it to rust, and when it rusts, it's either very hard to remove as it's deformed or it's completely jammed making the entire muffler useless. My advice to anyone who is gonna have a problem with noise/sound emissions to not even consider this an option, using a silencer is just like a "band-aid" solution.

LOC888 - I hate to say this, but any dual muffler catback is simply gonna rob any power gains you have no matter how much flow you free up with a racing/sports exhaust manifold. The power bias of the 2 products are completely different conflicting real power gains. If you're going to buy a racing exhaust manifold, you'd need a racing catback to match it's purpose.

Cmf - You'd experience a CEL problem if you're going to do so. Yes, a straight pipe is the same thing as a test pipe.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
This is a catback, so it begins after the OEM catalytic converter. Therefore it does not come with a catalytic converter if that's what you're asking. And I doubt you'd find any sound clips of this on any CL7/9 as yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if it is still using the existing OEM Cat then it shouldn't be too loud right .. ? Also I was looking for any spoon N1 exhaust sound clip to get a vague idea about how it sounds

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
A catalytic converter is designed to remove harmful emissions, chemicals in exhaust gases that harm/kill/damage the ozone and the environment. It does not affect or alter much of the dB sound level output of any exhaust.

A resonator is designed to reduce noise, particularly mid-level acceleration popping sounds caused by the flow of the exhaust fumes in motion or backfire from too much fuel being burnt. It will alter a higher level of the dB sound level output of any exhaust.

The removal or non-existent of these 2 items on any exhaust system is considered illegal in most nations/countries/continents in today's world.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Noel said:
A catalytic converter is designed to remove harmful emissions, chemicals in exhaust gases that harm/kill/damage the ozone and the environment. It does not affect or alter much of the dB sound level output of any exhaust.

A resonator is designed to reduce noise, particularly mid-level acceleration popping sounds caused by the flow of the exhaust fumes in motion or backfire from too much fuel being burnt. It will alter a higher level of the dB sound level output of any exhaust.

The removal or non-existent of these 2 items on any exhaust system is considered illegal in most nations/countries/continents in today's world.
LOL! The catalytic converter indeed does have a lot to do with the amount of sound (and the tone of the sound) produced by the exhaust. In fact, aside from changing the muffler, this is the largest determining factor as to ho much sound is going to be produced.
Take for example my car. After removing the catalytic converter and installing the test pipe there was a noted increase in exhaust dB level. On top of that it made the note more "raspy". This is due to the fact that the cat acts as a resonator, canceling out and mellowing the sound vibrations caused by the engine pulses traveling down the exhaust.

In-line resonators do the same thing as well. As you mentioned it reduces the amount of dB produced while" mellowing" the exhaust note.

The only thing illegal is the removal of a properly functioning catalytic converter. Removing any inline resonators has nothing to do with legality as long as the exhaust is under your states dB level for modified vehicles.

edit: BTW, resonators wont reduce the "popping" or "backfire" sounds modified exhausts produce. This happens when you have a straight through muffler design. I have no cat and some pretty wide exhaust tube, but I have a chambered muffler, not a straight through fart can, so no "popping" even with the test pipe.

·
Subway Pervert
59 Posts
actually, a cat will act as a resonator of sorts. hell, it kills more noise than most resonators. on hondas they typically end up sounding VERY raspy.

when i pulled the 3 cats from my wrx wagon and left the stock catback, 2 things happened to the sound. 1, it got a bit deeper/louder, and 2 it got a little raspy.

the catless civics i've been around have had a completely different exhaust note from those with intact cats. considering how much more of a flow restriction the cat is in comparison to a resonator, it isn't too hard to see how the manipulation of that one part can make a big difference in the exhaust sound

pops come from catless exhausts. usually the unspent fuel will react with the catalyst, or it will ignite in the exhaust system pre-cat. the pop will slam into the cat and be dispersed. my catback had a very long resonator in it, but that never stopped the popping :)

guh, the sti NEEDS a catless system, dammit

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Also, if you require the removal of your stock cat but want to still help the environment you can opt for a high flow cat. These flow MUCH more gas then the stock cat and still burn off those unused hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[LOC888 - I hate to say this, but any dual muffler catback is simply gonna rob any power gains you have no matter how much flow you free up with a racing/sports exhaust manifold. The power bias of the 2 products are completely different conflicting real power gains. If you're going to buy a racing exhaust manifold, you'd need a racing catback to match it's purpose.

But is there still a net gain, even if not a big one?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Well, to be optimisstic and make a guess estimation, you'd probably make a 5bhp gain if any with your FGK catback matched with Spoon exhaust manifold choice. That's like saying $1K for 2.5bhp approximately. Not the best way to spend about $2K or more to get this product landed, not even including installation charges if any.

·
助手席乗員
2,128 Posts
Spoon has released many stuff for CL7
but IMO...Spoon exhaust is a bit too loud for an AT sedan...lol
loud for AT..no way..those MT CL9 may go for it...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Automatic transmissions don't generally benefit from such exhaust systems. It's mainly or if not directly designed for manual transmissions.

All N1 type exhaust systems are loud, there's no question to that. I personally hate the Spoon muffler. Small and ugly. Only looks good on a Civic, all other cars just look weird.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
while AT transmissions soak up more power then MT versions, it really has nothing to do with the exhaust system. You will still see the same gains, it will just be a lower total number at the wheels compared to the MT version since the AT is eating away with the parasitic loss.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
How in practice do you see the same gains when you clearly stated one will have more power than the other? I find your comments quite pointless. The fact that ATs have a torque converter which reduces power output is a big enough significant difference between a MT with the same modification/power output.

You don't see professional race teams doing circuit racing with ATs do you? Which means that when a product is developed, it's based and engineered from and ideally for a MT.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts