Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've been seeing some Spoon Sports Magnetic drain plugs on ebay and i was wondering if anyone here uses them and thinks they are beneficial to our engines. Also, the set comes with two, Engine and tranny, do you guys know if they work on Manual Transmission?

T.I.A.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,290 Posts
I had these on my '94 Accord on the engine and tranny and I thought they were very useful. Besides catching metal particles the filter might miss, it's also useful for monitoring wear of the motor or tranny through the amount and size of the flakes when you drain the oil.

Another thing people do is glue a magnet on the bottom of the oil pan. But then you can't remove the particles.

Reactions: theaznboywunder

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would recommend getting one. I have a Kics Magnetic drain plug bolt and it catches any metal shavings that will cause abrasion in the engine. For $25, you can't go wrong.

I also have a magnetic filter around my oil filter to make sure filtered particles "stick" to the filter element.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
Yeah I'm running the Spoon Magnetic bolts for the Engine and trans. drain bolts... Any kindve preventative maintenance is good :D

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
wow, I will definitely look into this

·
What to put here?
1,990 Posts
I've been using a filtermag on top of the oil filter for almost 2 years so far.

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,290 Posts
I didn't drive mine too hard, but it often looked like this:

Way better than having that back in circulation with the oil. You just wipe the plug clean with a rag or paper towel and slap it back in. I'm curious to see what people's look like after the 10,000 miles the manual says to change the oil.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I have one on my TSX, and had one on my wife's Protege5 (until we sold the car).

I have never found anything larger than a fine grain of sand, but, there was often a "slurry" stuck to the end -- tiny tiny particles. It feels good to get them out of the engine as they're so small that even some of the better oil filters might let them pass back through.

$25/ea is a total ripoff though, I paid about $10/ea although they're not "Spoon" (who cares!). If you want, get a hard drive magnet from a dead hard drive, and stick it to the bolt-end of the drain plug... should do the same thing pretty much.

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Heeltoe has Skunk2 tranny and oil pan magnet plugs for $25 together.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I picked up password JDM sets for me and the wife's car, and you always get a little something out of the engine when you change the oil.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
wow this is an interesting part. I had no idea about it. Thanks for posting.

Sadly, either the ebay seller or heeltoe both charge 20-25 for shipping to Canada which completely kills the deal.

If people are down for a GB post up!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow this is an interesting part. I had no idea about it. Thanks for posting.

Sadly, either the ebay seller or heeltoe both charge 20-25 for shipping to Canada which completely kills the deal.

If people are down for a GB post up!
I just PMd you a ebay link from a seller in Canada who has them. Shipping is about 11 bucks.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
thanks a lot. + rep for that.

The seller sells for $37 + $19 shipping..still mad expensive compared to everyone else..for that little of a price difference, I'd just get it from heeltoe

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heeltoe has Skunk2 tranny and oil pan magnet plugs for $25 together.
I'm unable to find this on his site, do you have the link? I'm interested in the tranny plug too because I remember my Nissan back in the days had a magnetic drain plug and it would come out with all sorts of metal shavings each oil change.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks a lot. + rep for that.

The seller sells for $37 + $19 shipping..still mad expensive compared to everyone else..for that little of a price difference, I'd just get it from heeltoe
Thanks. I recommend heeltoe over Ebay because you know you will get your stuff. With Ebay is a huge gamble.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'm unable to find this on his site, do you have the link? I'm interested in the tranny plug too because I remember my Nissan back in the days had a magnetic drain plug and it would come out with all sorts of metal shavings each oil change.
+1 on this..the only thing I found was this
Skunk2 Magnetic Drain Bolt Set, Honda Oil and Tranny, 657-05-0030 - HeelToe Automotive

Please confirm if this is the right item. If someone is up for sharing shipping to Toronto on a few sets of these, I'm interested. If there's no feedback over the next week or so, I'll just order myself.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts