Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what do u usually shift at when you are driving using the sports shift. and when racing and shifting at around 5000-6000 RPM is it bad for your car?

·
Registered
332 Posts
2500-3000 rpm when driving conservatively. Which is most of the time - for fuel economy. Anywhere up to 7000 rpm when "going for it". I don't think it's bad for the engine - Honda builds very reliable high-revving I-4's, and they have marked the redline at 7k for this engine. The fuel cutoff isn't even until 7400 rpm.

Honda's engines are very smooth at high revs, they don't feel like they are going to self-destruct, unlike some other makes. Still, I wouldn't be driving around all day at 6000 rpm either.

Conclusion - drive normally, but don't feel bad to dig into the rpms for power when you need the power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh also when your driving and you want to climb up a hill you would downshift right. but for some reason when i do i get a choke even at low speeds when im changing from 3rd gear to second

·
Registered
138 Posts
Drive it like you stole it...

and follow your regular maintenance schedule.

Engines (particularly Hondas) are overengineered. Don't even worry about it, just enjoy your car!

It's that simple.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Altersys said:
Drive it like you stole it...

and follow your regular maintenance schedule.

Engines (particularly Hondas) are overengineered. Don't even worry about it, just enjoy your car!

It's that simple.
I would have to agree honda engines are very well engineered. But if you want the car to last 200,000 miles+ dont beat on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I still disagree. Maintenance is more important than anything else. Built-in devices like rev limiters, detonation sensors, and timing control do an effective job of protecting the engine.

When I say maintenance I am also implying a respect for the mechanical nature of the engine. IE cold starts, etc...

-Alt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts