Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody knows if using the Sports-Shifter will wear down your engine faster than using the 'D' setting?

Assuming that you shift properly and don't redline.....

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Doc said:
I was wondering if anybody knows if using the Sports-Shifter will wear down your engine faster than using the 'D' setting?

Assuming that you shift properly and don't redline.....
I say no, if u shift properly :)

unlike manual that u man say bye bye to the clutch earlier. Automatic on TSX is just bunch of gears. And there are like 3 or 4 clutches for each contact point and those things "supposed" to last VERY LONG. Plus it is using torque converter. shouldn't be any problem.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
What about wearing down the TRANSMISSION?

I would think the answer is "maybe yes," no matter how well you shift.
Anybody know?

This makes me use it less than I otherwise might.....

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
larchmont said:
What about wearing down the TRANSMISSION?

I would think the answer is "maybe yes," no matter how well you shift.
Anybody know?

This makes me use it less than I otherwise might.....
of course, tranny will wear out if u use it more.
but there is not much difference between SS and auto. It is still shifting if the car is running. U know what i mean? lol... like if u leave it at D4 and go up to 60mph, let's say it takes 3 shifts for the computer to do it, it will also take u 3 shifts to do it in SS.

in some case, may even be less wear if u use SS. b/c the computer is stupid. e.g. computer will down shift when going downhill if not accelerating. If the distance is not that long, u can save 2 shifts if u are in SS mode.

anyways, although there may be a difference, won't be too much. Feel free to use the SS, it is the "same" :)

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sazabi, I am going to SS right now on my way to lunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts