Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AT questions get asked from time to time, so I'll repost my AT-SS FAQ here.

AT-Sport Shift

1 What is the Sport Shift mode?

The Sport Shift allows the driver to select gears on the AT manually. It is attached to a conventional automatic transmission with a torque converter. It is not an SMG (sequential manual gearbox).

1.1 General Usage

1.1.1 How do I activate SS?

From D, move the gear lever left to M. The gear indicator on the bottom-centre of the dash is activated.

1.1.2 How do I use the SS?

From M, tap the gear lever forwards to upshift, backwards to downshift. When released, the lever springs back to the middle position. There is no clutch pedal.

1.1.3 Are the gear ratios different in SS?

No, the gear ratios are fixed and the same as the regular AT mode.

1.1.4 Is the redline different is SS?

No, same as the MT, 7100 redline, 7400 rev limiter.

1.1.5 At what speeds can I engage SS?

SS can be engaged from D at any forward speed, including stopped.

1.1.6 Can I start in a gear other than first?

You can start in 2nd gear by upshifting at rest. The car will remember this and will auto-downshift shift back into second at the next stop, instead of first. You cannot start in 3rd or higher.

1.2 Behaviour

1.2.1 Does the SS ever shift by itself?

The SS never auto-upshifts by itself. It will auto-downshift as the car slows down. It may downshift when the grade level has changed.

1.2.1.1 At what speeds does the auto-downshifts occur?

5 -> 4: 52 km/h (33 mph)
4 -> 3: 32 km/h (20 mph)
3 -> 1: 10 km/h (6 mph)

The SS does not auto-downshift into 2nd on level ground, except when the last start was in 2nd gear, as described above.

1.2.2 Does the SS ever prevent a shift?

1. If an upshift would cause the engine to lug, the SS prevents the shift.

2. If a downshift would cause the engine to exceed redline, the SS prevents the shift. In both cases, the gear indicator blinks.

3. When the SS auto-downshifts, it locks out manual downshifts for about one second to prevent unwanted double shifts. In this case, the gear indicator does not blink.

1.2.3 Do hills affect the SS?

Hills raise the threshold speed of the auto-downshift. The actual increase depends on the severity of the grade. The max auto-downshift speeds are:
5 -> 4: 72 km/h (45 mph)
4 -> 3: 52 km/h (33 mph)
3 -> 2: 20 km/h (12 mph)
Therefore, it is possible for an auto-downshift to occur at constant speed, if the grade changes and the threshold auto-downshift speed rises above the current speed.
Note that SS will shift into 2nd gear on a grade, whereas it never does when level.

1.2.4 Does cruise override the SS?

No, unless you hold decelerate button on the cruise and slow below an auto-downshift shift speed, or the grade changes as described above.

1.3 Other Questions

1.3.1 Why do I sometimes I see the revs change even though I haven’t shifted, accelerated or decelerated?

That is the torque converter engaging and disengaging.

1.3.2 How does the SS compare to the MT?

1. No clutch.

2. The option to drive in full-auto “D” when desired.

3. Only 5 speeds, compared to 6 for the MT.

4. Higher gear ratios than the MT, especially top gear. Slower acceleration, but better fuel economy.

5. Approx. 100 lbs. heavier.

6.There is a torque converter, so more drivetrain loss.

1.3.3 How is the TSX SS different than other cars?

1. It accomplishes the actual shift faster than many cars (0.7s)

2. It does not start in 2nd gear by default (e.g. IS300)

3. It does not upshift automatically (e.g. 2003 TL-S)

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Nice writeup, Kiteboy. Lots of good info there.

We should make it a sticky?

Also, maybe a little better title?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
Nice writeup, Kiteboy. Lots of good info there.

We should make it a sticky?

Also, maybe a little better title?
Definitely a good point about the title. Even a TSX fanatic like me had to think for a few seconds to get it. And a lot of people wouldn't.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had originally posted the title with all caps, but the system changed it. Maybe a better title is TSX AT-SportShift FAQ? How about an FAQ section? We can toss the recurring threads in there. e.g., MY2005, vs. Accord V6, VIN decoding, lip spoilers...

I know Dan Martin was compiling a FAQ for the other site, but so far I think the only contributions were mine and a CAI section.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
kiteboy said:
I had originally posted the title with all caps, but the system changed it. Maybe a better title is TSX AT-SportShift FAQ? How about an FAQ section? We can toss the recurring threads in there. e.g., MY2005, vs. Accord V6, VIN decoding, lip spoilers...

I know Dan Martin was compiling a FAQ for the other site, but so far I think the only contributions were mine and a CAI section.
I think maybe the clearest title would be simply "SportShift FAQ." I think the "AT," oddly, just confuses the issue, because a lot of people probably wouldn't read it as "automatic transmission"; plus, since the SS exists only in the 5AT, I don't think there's any lack of clarity if it doesn't say AT.

Kite's experience points up another little problem with the new format: Apparently it thinks it knows better than we do about whether to put letters in upper- or lower-case for the thread titles. If this can be "corrected," it would be very good.
We're finding one minor annoyance after another with the new format, and I imagine most of this (if not all) wasn't recognized in advance. In case you haven't gathered, I'm not an advocate of making any major move that way.

FAQ section is a good idea in theory, and it wouldn't hurt to have one, but, as per what Kite mentioned about the other site, there doesn't seem to be a real need for it, despite how people keep asking for one.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Oh s#it, the moderator functions actually WORK!!!! :eek:
I never tried it before.

I edited the title. Hope it's OK by you, Kite. Not to mention everybody else.

I guess that means I officially accepted being a mod. :eek:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Hey Kite, I'm going to start uploading to the TSX FAQ database on Sunday when I get back from the cottage. I'll be sure to add your section...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the "other" hangout, Dan. Are you going to post the FAQ here, or on the other site?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Well soopa owns the database but I think anyone can view it. I'll post a link when it's done and we'll see what happens...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts