Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the temperature has been warming up lately and spring is just around the corner. I can't wait to give it a wash, apply couple layers of polish, and take it out for a nice long drive on an open road with the sunroof open, and the stereo blasting with my favorite music.

Since I bought my car late last year, this will be the first spring in my TSX. For those of you who has had the car since early last year, what should I look forward to in my TSX during the warmer weather? Better gas mileage? More rattles? Better performance?

Sorry for the lame title. Must be that stupid "coco" personality taking control of my mind again.:rolling_e

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
You mean the outside voice....That is the one that keeps me in trouble with my wife .....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
.....what should I look forward to in my TSX during the warmer weather? Better gas mileage? More rattles? Better performance?.....
Boy, did you come to the right place. :D

There have been some discussions/arguments about this. Consensus is:

-- Better gas mileage (because the gasoline is different in winter -- different additives -- and it's less efficient)
-- Worse performance (but see below.....)
-- Fewer rattles (God knows why)

About the performance: I started it by suggesting that cars perform better in warmer weather (I was trying to explain maybe why my 0-60 runs seemed to be better than the people further up north). And I was quickly hooted down, with good info -- people talking about how of course cars perform worse in warmer weather because engines require the air to get cooled, so this would work better when it's colder. And in terms of the engine itself, it seemed that was all there was to it. Somebody even gave a formula that you could use to check how much of a difference there would be at different temperatures. But, persistent SOB that I am, I kept wondering if it wasn't more complicated than that, because I definitely had the impression that cars perform better in warm weather. And then people started coming out with other stuff, like how it also depends on the temperature of the tires and the road, with the advantage being toward warmer weather. And then people said that unless the car is cold or has just been sitting, the tires get warmed up real fast so that shouldn't be a factor. But that still left road temperature to be reckoned with. As well as maybe other factors that didn't get mentioned.

Almost everybody except me felt the issue was quickly settled in favor of cars performing better in colder weather. I'm still not so sure. A couple of wise guys said that maybe I just perform better in warm weather, and they could be right about that. But I still do have the distinct impression that cars perform better in warmer weather, and I do think the issue is more multi-dimensional than most others thought. I think it's still an open question.

·
Was Here Long Ago
29 Posts
Fewer rattles = windows down, stereo up

I didn't notice the rattles until winter set upon us

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Soze, Soze, Soze -- you've been making me bust a gut.

Code talk to the mods.
Condiments.
Whatnot.

You're on a roll, dude. :D

·
Was Here Long Ago
29 Posts
Thanks Larch. I observe and I express, and I BS...

Now only if I showed as much dedication to my upcoming novel. I'd probably be halfway finished by now:fro: (this place has some wicked smilie selection!)

Soze, who is stealing Junkster's cool closing technique, and wishes that the procrastination gene wasn't so dominant in my genetic code.

Best wishes brother

hhhh7 (WTF is that? LOL)

·
in search of PW threads
301 Posts
Soze75 said:
Soze, who is stealing Junkster's cool closing technique, and wishes that the procrastination gene wasn't so dominant in my genetic code.
Procrastinate NOW.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I remember some time ago I heard on the radio that there was a national organization for procrastinators (presumably true), and they were planning to have a meeting but they never got around to it.

This might not sound like much, but I tell ya, to me it was so funny that it became one of those moments in my life where I've always remembered exactly where I was when I heard it. It's right up there with the Kennedy assassination and the blackouts and the Yankees getting A-Rod.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better gas mileage: :thumbsup:
Fewer rattles: :thumbsup:
Worse performance: :thumbsdow

Maybe fewer rattles are due to the warmer temperatures allowing more bending and flexing within it's tight interior specs. I got one minor rattle between the center console and center stack :p that I hope to take care of.

Regarding the decrease in performance, I can buy into colder air being better for the engine theory. But personally, I too feel that the car runs better in the warmer weather.

Maybe it's related to the car running better fully warmed-up compared to running it cold.

Maybe it's the fact that the tires are warmer, grippier, run smoother, and sends more feedback to the driver, instead of choppy and rigid cold tires.
Maybe I need to stop saying "maybe" before people start :tardsmash

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Yes there is a national society of procrastinators... as far as the other things..They really do not mean much as I am in Tx, where we have had only a couple of 20 degree mornings and usually hit 50 - 60 in afternoon...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts