Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change my wheels to 17" my honda is European Accord ( CL7), i am gonna put eibach pro kit or OMP, do I have to change my suspansion? Thanks

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
No, you can just change the springs to lower the ride height. The springs are designed to be compatible with the factory shock absorbers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
lowering springs

I was considering Comptech sport springs [1" drop] or Eibach Pro Kit [1.5" drop] springs for my 2004 TSX [5AT]...
I want to lower by about 1"-1.5" to improve ride & handling without screwing up the rest of the suspension...
I've read a lot of negative feedback about lowering springs destroying the stock shocks??? I've also read a lot of negative feedback about Comptech springs... so they're out...
You said that Eibach [progressive rate] springs are designed to work with the OE suspension/shocks... can you re-confirm that... will I need camber adjusters???

Also want to improve braking performance, specially front brakes because it's a FWD & 5AT so the brakes are working hard... which brake pads would you recommend... and I don't want to screw up the ABS or front/rear balance...
I've been considering Axxis metal masters & Ultimates and also looking at Hawk HPS street pads... there's also Porterfield R4S??? I don't want to destroy my rotors either...

Thank you, Jacques

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
jprovostla said:
I've read a lot of negative feedback about lowering springs destroying the stock shocks? You said that Eibach [progressive rate] springs are designed to work with the OE suspension/shocks... can you re-confirm that... will I need camber adjusters?
Yes, at the end of the day, only changing higher rated progressive springs will wear out the stock shocks prematurely depending on how you drive and where you take it. Premature means, it's shorter than the original lifespan designed to work with the OEM springs.

However, if this is a strictly road car with no intention of going to race tracks. This setup will work for "awhile" once again depending on how you drive and where you take it. Awhile meaning 12-24 months optimally before the shocks need to be replaced.

And yes, all these aftermarket progressive spring replacement kits are designed to work with the OEM shocks. Whether you need camber adjustment or not depends on you, some people like the increased camber while some people don't. And if you don't, you'd need one. You can only determine how it's like after you get this in place. It's an individual thing.

jprovostla said:
Also want to improve braking performance, which brake pads would you recommend and I don't want to screw up the ABS or front/rear balance or destroy my rotors either.
Sounds like you just better stopping brake pads. That itself will not change how the way your ABS works or affect your front/rear braking bias. However what pads you use will determine rotor wear. High temperature pads generally will increase greater wear to the rotors. I'd personally recommend Endless NA-Y pads. These are designed for road use, requires no warm-up like OEM pads while increasing braking power by approximately 25% all round. This shouldn't put too much stress on the rotors either, however you will get alot more brake dust due to the brake composite nature required for harder braking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was just looking at the Endless USA brake products and they don't have any pads for the TSX. Also I don't see the NA-Y pads??? did you mean NA-D???

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
You'd probably have to email them, no I meant exactly that as indicated above. Ironically, I sometimes find Endless USA not listing all available applications for whatever make/model on their site.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What negative feedback have you seen on the comptech?
There was an old part that only got 1" drop. The new part is
110-610 , I got 1.75" drop out of these.

I now need new shocks because it will bounce.
But I have heard this complaint more consistenly on the Eibachs.
It definitely needs camber kit which I just installed today. Ingalls appear best
available as camber adjustments affects the toe, only Ingalls apparently provides two links, for camber and toe.

I came upon a set of A-spec springs only, and I have nuespeed/koni
strut/shocks coming. The neuspeeds have
adjustable spring seat height so I can get more than 1" a-spec drop
out of them. I also like the neuspeed/koni part because they
have 20mm shorter throw for lowering springs. My rear comptechs
installed without any compression. The springs
will be a little loose at full extend. The front took the amount of compression
available from my knee to install them. Loose but not as bad as the rears.

The brakes, I am pleased with mine and have seen alot of other favorable
reviews of EBC green pads.

jprovostla said:
I was considering Comptech sport springs [1" drop] or Eibach Pro Kit [1.5" drop] springs for my 2004 TSX [5AT]...
I want to lower by about 1"-1.5" to improve ride & handling without screwing up the rest of the suspension...
I've read a lot of negative feedback about lowering springs destroying the stock shocks??? I've also read a lot of negative feedback about Comptech springs... so they're out...
You said that Eibach [progressive rate] springs are designed to work with the OE suspension/shocks... can you re-confirm that... will I need camber adjusters???

Also want to improve braking performance, specially front brakes because it's a FWD & 5AT so the brakes are working hard... which brake pads would you recommend... and I don't want to screw up the ABS or front/rear balance...
I've been considering Axxis metal masters & Ultimates and also looking at Hawk HPS street pads... there's also Porterfield R4S??? I don't want to destroy my rotors either...

Thank you, Jacques

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just found & ordered AXXIS Ultimates pads for the TSX at Cobalt Friction in FL...
They're a kevlar/ceramic compound... hi coefficient of friction, can handle up to 1000'F, good cold or hot, easy on rotors, low dust & noise... what else do I need??? can't wait to try them on...
$125 [minus 10% club discount... thank you] + S&H

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
jprovostla said:
Just found & ordered AXXIS Ultimates pads for the TSX at Cobalt Friction in FL. They're a kevlar/ceramic compound. hi coefficient of friction, can handle up to 1000'F, good cold or hot, easy on rotors, low dust & noise.
I have to say, honestly. This sounds too good to be true if you ask me. The following above can be spliced up to review some facts about the whole composite nature from the marketing/sales pitch.

Kevlar/Ceramic Compound - This would be quite a low grade or a low percentile mixed with the usual braking compounds, price is too good to begin with. But above all, this WILL eat the standard rotors.

Hi-Coefficient Friction - This confirms the above, the harder you brake the more stress you will pllace on the standard rotors.

Can Handle Up To 1000F - This looks like a big number to me in degrees celcius. Once again, the basics of brake pad compound, if you have a high temperature type pad, you will suffer initial/cold braking. These will screech and make noises until it gets up to working temperature.

Good cold or hot, easy on rotors, low dust & noise - The rest of this COMPLETELY goes against the principals of brake pad composition as indicated above. Of course, you're always welcome to prove me wrong.

Something tells me if this is 50% accurate to it's product specifications, you will get poor initial braking until up to working/optimal pad temperature. The pads will eat/damage the rotors prematurely due to the compound nature, and there will be plenty of dust and noise (cold to working temperature).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts