Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there springs in the rear seat of the first gen TSX (in my case, the 2007)?

Some time in the past few months, I've noticed an occasional, light "boingy" sound - kind of "squinky", I think is the technical description - coming from the rear. Not from under the car, like suspension sounds, but as if it were coming from inside the cabin or near it, like from right behind the rear seat (specifically, the right rear behind the passenger seat).

My son has sat back there to help me trace it, and he says it sounds like it's coming from "right behind" him as he sits there.

I only notice it if I drive with the radio off and the windows shut, but it is going softly squeaky-sproingy pretty often when I do. It doesn't change in pitch, nor does it seem to require me to go over big bumps or anything.

It's driving me a little bit nuts. I wondered if it was something with one of the rear speakers coming a little bit loose somehow, but I've bypassed them with an aftermarket stereo so they shouldn't be moving due to having sound pushed through them, and in any case I've inspected the rear right 4x9 stock speaker mounting framework and it's tight.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
That sounds a lot like the rear sway bar bushings. They dry out and have to be re-lubricated every couple of years on my car. But I generally get that springy sound when it goes over bumps in the early stages and it progressively gets worse until it's attended to. I've also had that sound occur when one of the rear shock springs twisted in its perch. It had to be repositioned to seat properly with the upper shock rubber bushing/seat. I also lubricated it to be safe. That was a one-time occurance.

I'd recommend looking at both sway bar bushings, they're easier to remove and lube. I lube the bar, bushings, and brackets with some lithium grease which lasts longer than regular lube/grease. If you do these lift the rear car wheels so that there isn't excess pressure on the sway bar as there will be if the wheels drop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, after examining the suspension parts and having someone riding in the back seat listening closely to the noise...

...it's definitely coming from inside the cabin, not under the car or even the trunk or rear deck. A light squinking, springy sound. From the rear right seat (directly behind the front passenger seat).

Where it must be said, a rather heavyset passenger has been riding of late, but shhhhh, I don't want to stir trouble here even posting to strangers on the internet.

There must be a broken spring somewhere in the rear seat cushions? Where are there springs in the rear seat?

It's not non-stop and it's easily drowned out if the radio is on or the windows are open, so I'm not going to rip out the back seat to investigate, but on the off chance that someone has been here and can say "yeah it's not that bad if you take out the rear seat, there are springs under it and you can just weld a broken one, kind of like this",

I could be willing to see if that's the problem/fix at some point in the future.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's not complicated to remove the rear seat for inspection. I believe I had to remove maybe 6 bolts, 2 back/2 front/ 2 side. Pretty easy, I don't recall ever experiencing any issues. Not sure of the exact placement but a simple google search helped me out when I did it. I used maybe a ratchet, a socket and an extension. Best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts