Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car would make a squeeky sound when i started it and after a bit it would go away started few weeks after the steering pump line recall was done

i thought it was the belt, but it looked fine

today the noise got worse so i sprayed some wd40 on the steering pump pulley center and the noise got really bad

is the pump gone? or is it something else?

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
Check all of your belts, spraying wd40 was a bad idea bc it'll make your belt slip worse. They make a pulley sprey that makes squeaks go away, you can give that a shot.

·
Registered
585 Posts
WD-40 IS NOT a lubricant! It is a de-greaser, and will clean the existing grease that was on your pulley, leaving it dry and vulnerable to friction.

I don't know what the next step is because I am not a certified mechanic. That pulley spray suggested might help.

But I'd get that thing checked out by a professional ASAP!

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
WD-40 IS NOT a lubricant! It is a de-greaser, and will clean the existing grease that was on your pulley, leaving it dry and vulnerable to friction.

I don't know what the next step is because I am not a certified mechanic. That pulley spray suggested might help.

But I'd get that thing checked out by a professional ASAP!
WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions read this before you say its NOT a lube:

How is WD-40 different from 3-IN-ONE®?
WD-40 is the ultimate multi-purpose problem solver. WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant. 3-IN-ONE, with it's special drip spout, enables you to lubricate without any overspray or splatter. 3-IN-ONE is ideal to use on tools, rollers, hinges, in-line skates, wheels...nearly everything that moves.

it will cause the belt to slip, briefly until it burns off, but it will get louder with a touch of wd on it

·
Registered
585 Posts
WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions read this before you say its NOT a lube:

How is WD-40 different from 3-IN-ONE®?
WD-40 is the ultimate multi-purpose problem solver. WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant. 3-IN-ONE, with it's special drip spout, enables you to lubricate without any overspray or splatter. 3-IN-ONE is ideal to use on tools, rollers, hinges, in-line skates, wheels...nearly everything that moves.

it will cause the belt to slip, briefly until it burns off, but it will get louder with a touch of wd on it
Thanks for the link. Man, I seem to be getting my foot in my mouth a lot recently.

I retract my statement about it not being a lubricant, but I think other products are better suited for the certain application. As you pointed out, it is a light lubricant, but 3in1 is "ideal for... nearly everything that moves."

WD-40 is great for sticky locks, seized bolts, exhaust hangers, etc, but you wouldn't use it on your bike chain!

Anyway, back to the OP, my apologies for my doomsday theme. I misunderstood what you did completely, and as I read your post, I had a mental image of you spraying WD-40 into the alternator :banghead:

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
Thanks for the link. Man, I seem to be getting my foot in my mouth a lot recently.

I retract my statement about it not being a lubricant, but I think other products are better suited for the certain application. As you pointed out, it is a light lubricant, but 3in1 is "ideal for... nearly everything that moves."

WD-40 is great for sticky locks, seized bolts, exhaust hangers, etc, but you wouldn't use it on your bike chain!

Anyway, back to the OP, my apologies for my doomsday theme. I misunderstood what you did completely, and as I read your post, I had a mental image of you spraying WD-40 into the alternator :banghead:
lmao its ok, on a pulley it would take seconds to burn off but still. i would try a pulley dresser, if that works than you know your belt is bad

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
i have a new belt
i guess i can put it on and see
yes, start with the cheap fixes always, if they dont work then you need to get it looked at if you dont feel comfortable taking large components off the car.

i honestly think its your belt tho, if it were a wining and scratching noise i would say yes some bearing is shot, but a squeek is something a belt would do. also double check your belt tension

1 - 10 of 10 Posts