Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You heard it here first -- I will never buy another car without stability control. I'm sold; I'm a believer.

Why? Well...

I was driving home from work yesterday, along a stretch of Interstate 95, just north of Baltimore. It's four or five lanes of northbound traffic, around 5:30, so it was congested but still moving along at around 60 mph. I'm in the fast lane.

There's this mid-90's Cavalier on my butt, and he's been there for the better part of two miles or so. I've already been driving in traffic for an hour, so this isn't the first inconsiderate moron I've come across on the way home. Instead of slowing down, or braking, or some other "get-off-my-butt" maneuver, I figure I'll just zip into the lane on my right which is moving along faster than my lane.

I put my signal on, accellerate to match the speed of the traffic in that lane, sneak a peek over the shoulder to make sure I'm not cutting anyone off, and as I look ahead I see the black SUV I'm trailing is panic braking -- his speed drops from ~60 to ~30, and I'm going like 65 now!

Knowing the right lane is clear, and seeing the bumper of this SUV quite clearly, I yank the wheel hard right at the last second. After narrowly missing the SUV, I find myself fishtailing, which is a bit worrisome at 65+ mph on a crowded highway. I start to compensate...and I'm hoping I'll have the skill to correct the start of this spin within the confines of my one lane...:help:...I hear this thrumming sound in the cabin...I feel the nose of the car pull back to the right, and -- blip!! -- I'm running straight as an arrow again with no fuss.

The stability control -- and a good handling car -- saved my buttocks from a sure accident. Had I been in my wife's Xterra, or heck, even my old Maxima, I don't think I would have missed the truck in the first place. Furthermore, if by some stroke of luck I did miss the truck, then I would have been out of control due to the violent lane change and relying on my own skill -- and luck -- to avoid spinning out of control.

Just relating this little incident to you folks has me a little on edge; that's how close I came to getting in a major accident (and it would have been my fault too!). Yikes! :shock:

Anyhow, everything is fine and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

Anyone else been saved by their stability control?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Wow...horray for the TSX!! Glad nothing happened to you..whew!!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
wow to you.....too bad my TSX can't do that!:(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Wow Ferg,

If ever there were a case to be made for better living through technology... you'd be it! :sprint:

Glad to hear you're around to talk about it! BTW, you're now eligible to become the TSX Club Poster Child for Accident Prevention Month! :rolleyes:

And to think how many posts we've endured about how crumby those Michelins are? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
And some people think that all of this new technology is a load of hogwash and is only added to raise the price of the car ! You are living proof that this technology can indeed save your life ! :woot:

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Ferg,

I don't mean to be a party pooper but don't you have a BMW 3 series instead of a TSX? I'm guessing this happend while you were driving the 3 series.

Well, actually since TSX has a similar function in VSA, it's all good. :woot:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Glad to hear it saved you. The most VSA has done for me so far is keep me on track when I screw around in the snow, but I can tell you that it's blatantly obvious that the Mazda3 I'm driving doesn't have it. That thing loses grip on wet curves very easily :mad: (it's good on dry ones though)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Whatchamacallit said:
Ferg,

I don't mean to be a party pooper but don't you have a BMW 3 series instead of a TSX? I'm guessing this happend while you were driving the 3 series.

Well, actually since TSX has a similar function in VSA, it's all good. :woot:
Hey, you mean TSX isn't the only car with stability control? :mecry: :D :mecry: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.