Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Kelford cams look like you will have more overlap. This is desirable in N/A power plants

Kelford cams is a well known name in cams for big engines, skunk 2 is known in the Honda and Mitsu scene.

Kelford lift is slightly smaller, and states is safe to run with stock springs, I would believe them, the Skunk 2, suggests their valve springs, they say it's safe, but note that there will be advanced wear on all stock components, which is truthful.

Have you also looked at IPS or others?

If it were my money, I would look at crower, web, kelford, and if applicable, (haven't checked on the K's yet) Edelbrock, along with IPS, because those seem to be a favorite of the K series guy's.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Kelford 179-A's are good basic all-motor street cams. Being able to simply drop them in is a huge plus.

If you look into IPS, the KME's are great and designed for the 2.4 K. They WILL require new springs and retainers for sure, as well as a modified TSX VTC gear or 50* Si gear if you're wanting maximum tuning with them.

I personally say go with the Kelfords.

On a side note - cams without tuning = no no.

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
Cam shafts is definitely something that needs to be pursued for our cars. The only thing that holds us back is not having a good reflash to go with them. Things you need to know about cams is that they come in variety of lifts and durations. Duration and big cam overlap is great for high rpm but leaves nothing to be desired for low rpms. At low rpms the pressure difference between intake and exhaust side is big. With big cam overlap at low rpm, the exhaust gas will find its way into the combustion chamber causing bad engine performance and gas mileage. Some manufactures will give you less duration with the same amount of lift. This is where things get dangerous as too much of a cam ramp from high light and low duration can cause valve train wear. Picture a triangle.

The kelford cam is a good option although I think it can use a little more duration. The k24 has a longer stroke and it requires a little more duration than the k20 cam. The IPS on the other hand has a bit too much duration on the low lobe for everyday driving needs. The IPS is a great performance cam that everyone in the K-series community woll vouch for. Great product and performance along with great price.

What the TSX needs is the 50deg VTC. If you can incorporate that with a set of cams and a reflash...........sign me up right now:)

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given a stock TSX cam gear, are you capable of, or know where to get the machine work done described here?

Tuning the TSX

I would much rather play it safe with around 40 degrees...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry Feuss2.. off the topic... did u get my PM... cuz i really wanna get the comptech exhaust.. been looking around for the past 3 months for it... check ur PM

·
Bardi
1,346 Posts
There are a few shops that do the 45deg VTC gear. I have to look them up on k20a.org. I could even do it if I have at least 5 people that want it done. The VTC gear will really improve the mid rage a lot. If you see s2000 guys that do the mod they pick up a bunch of torque and power in the mid range. Cams are easy to get as well. It is tuning that really holds us back.

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a 40 or 45 degree VTC and a set of Kelford cams + a tune is the way to go for some decent gains without messing with the valvetrain...

Anyone else have some input?

·
Registered
976 Posts
If your gonna change out the valve train i would go with the Kelford Type B. You should look into Drag Cartel cams as well. GoPower makes drop in cams as well that make pretty good gains.

·
Triple Platinum Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would prefer not to change the valve train. Do have any links to the products you mentioned? Are the dropin cams from GoPower called the Ksi?

Here's the cartel dropins:

Product

1 - 12 of 12 Posts