Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 04 and my steering has not seemed sturdy at all. It doesn't really stay straight and will drift away from a straight line if driving. I know this usually means alignment needed, but just the steeering itself feels weird and kind of light and unsturdy. Is the TSX wheel suppose to be very light like to turn? I got new tires so maybe I should have done an alignment then. I had an alignment done actually 3 months ago when I first got the car at Sears and they told me they couldn't get the alignment all the way and were like .5 in off or something and that I needed a cambered toe or something? I was thinking just going to a Honda dealer and have them do an alignment. Is that likely it? Would the .5 in off affect my steering like this?

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Hey guys, I have an 04 and my steering has not seemed sturdy at all. It doesn't really stay straight and will drift away from a straight line if driving. I know this usually means alignment needed, but just the steeering itself feels weird and kind of light and unsturdy. Is the TSX wheel suppose to be very light like to turn? I got new tires so maybe I should have done an alignment then. I had an alignment done actually 3 months ago when I first got the car at Sears and they told me they couldn't get the alignment all the way and were like .5 in off or something and that I needed a cambered toe or something? I was thinking just going to a Honda dealer and have them do an alignment. Is that likely it? Would the .5 in off affect my steering like this?
Sears does alignments ? :laugh: go to a legit shop, if that means acura than so be it, its just an alignment. If the car was in an accident, or hit a big hole its possible something was bent causing your adjustments to be off. Did they give you a print out of the specs the alignment rig gave out? If not, never go back. You should always get the spec sheet. Theres no such thing as cambered toe, there is camber and toe but it doesnt get combined. Camber doesnt affect steering in a straight line as much as toe does, if your toe was off by .5 thats way too much and really out of spec. Hope that helps, if you have the spec sheet post it up and Ill take a look.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sears does alignments ? :laugh: go to a legit shop, if that means acura than so be it, its just an alignment. If the car was in an accident, or hit a big hole its possible something was bent causing your adjustments to be off. Did they give you a print out of the specs the alignment rig gave out? If not, never go back. You should always get the spec sheet. Theres no such thing as cambered toe, there is camber and toe but it doesnt get combined. Camber doesnt affect steering in a straight line as much as toe does, if your toe was off by .5 thats way too much and really out of spec. Hope that helps, if you have the spec sheet post it up and Ill take a look.
I actually just came from Honda.

They did an alignment and the technician showed me the specs of it (I have it i'll post it up later) and he got it as close as possible. He said the toe is fine, but the camber I think is a little off but there's nothing they can do? He said it's not that big a problem of the measurement, but the mechanic did say the steering is drifiting to the left when accelarating. He said it could be the tires and how they were installed, in which I just got 4 news ones put on from Sears (never going there again) and maybe a tire rotation could fix it. I think im going to bring it to my mechanic I always use and have him test drive it and see what he thinks.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I actually just came from Honda.

They did an alignment and the technician showed me the specs of it (I have it i'll post it up later) and he got it as close as possible. He said the toe is fine, but the camber I think is a little off but there's nothing they can do? He said it's not that big a problem of the measurement, but the mechanic did say the steering is drifiting to the left when accelarating. He said it could be the tires and how they were installed, in which I just got 4 news ones put on from Sears (never going there again) and maybe a tire rotation could fix it. I think im going to bring it to my mechanic I always use and have him test drive it and see what he thinks.
Post up that spec sheet :p, it should have before and after. If it was off bad before, the tires could be worn in such a way that with correct alignment it will still pull. This is very common with a toe issue.

I wouldnt worry much about the camber if it is close to being even and not to severe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post up that spec sheet :p, it should have before and after. If it was off bad before, the tires could be worn in such a way that with correct alignment it will still pull. This is very common with a toe issue.

I wouldnt worry much about the camber if it is close to being even and not to severe.
I just got all 4 new tires, though, like 3 weeks ago lol.

Here's the specs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone comment on what the issue could be?

Im bringing it in to my mechanic tomorrow.

I noticed it's when starting from a dead stop and accelerating kind of quick. My car just drifts to the left. Something just doesn't seem right with my steering.

Worn tie rod maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts