Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new HT V2 T1's put on a couple days ago and I never had coilovers before this. I did a lot of research before buying these and no complaints of ride quality. Looks wise, the car looks fantastic, just wish I could go higher than 1.5" for the winter. Supposedly the new version of the V2s can do this. My ride height is set to the min 1.5" down and being T1's, there is no dampening ability.

My question is, when I go over a bump now (not many as I've only driven 20 miles due to needing a wheel alignment which is being done today), its much harsher than stock, meaning the sound is more like a thump than a whoosh if that makes any sense.

My question is, are all coils significantly stiffer than stock? Will they soften out over time? These are not "racing" coils, just high quality basic ones. Just curious it if will get better over time or they will stay like this pretty much forever.

Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Same thing here, the clunky sound over sharp bumps went away after about a week/200 miles. Ride quality is fantastic now too, very very close to stock but flatter if you know what I mean.

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
Same thing here, the clunky sound over sharp bumps went away after about a week/200 miles. Ride quality is fantastic now too, very very close to stock but flatter if you know what I mean.
+1. That annoying thumping sound completed destroyed my mood at first. But after a month of owning and proper alignment, the suspension is great after it settles in! I've had it since last year Oct., and I was just in my gf's honda with OEM suspension, couldn't tell the difference in response to bump besides it's slightly stiffer.

Gotta love the suspension. I drove with minimum drop throughout the winter with no problem, but given Pittsburgh got very little or no snow this year :p! But I don't foresee any issue in the winter with the drop as long as you got a set of good all-season/snow tires!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1. That annoying thumping sound completed destroyed my mood at first. But after a month of owning and proper alignment, the suspension is great after it settles in! I've had it since last year Oct., and I was just in my gf's honda with OEM suspension, couldn't tell the difference in response to bump besides it's slightly stiffer.

Gotta love the suspension. I drove with minimum drop throughout the winter with no problem, but given Pittsburgh got very little or no snow this year :p! But I don't foresee any issue in the winter with the drop as long as you got a set of good all-season/snow tires!
Sweet. Staying positive. A couple bumps on my way to work go BOOM now that I didnt notice before... haha. Yea the winters werent bad at all this year. I do have some snows on my OEM wheels, so I think I'll be fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well its been almost a week a 300+ miles and the suspension still feels rock hard... not very comfortable going over bumps and still sounds like a "boom". WTH is going on?

Would going with a spring/strut setup like the Koni Yellows be a softer setup? Arg

·
GO BLUE!
884 Posts
^Hang in there! when i first got it, i literally have to come to a stop in the middle of the highway on my way to work everyday because of that thump. Now I could barely notice going at normal highway speed. Haven't heard that annoying thump sound in a long long time unless i go through super crazy bump.

Personally I have not used Koni, but heard a lot of great things about it. I think the only downside is it cannot go as low (and wasn't it fixed height? or it has only 3 settings for height?? correct me if i am wrong).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I just put mine on this past sunday and i love them! I also put on skunk2 upper control arms/camber kit. My ride quality is really really good! No thump nor bump at all, really smooth and just a tad bit stiffer than stock.... I havent gotten an alignment yet so expecting better results after that..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called Marcus @ HT, said that this is a rare complaint. Stated that I should have the preload adjusted as they issued out new settings a couple months back that the new ones have been set to. He also said that I could be bottoming out the front wheels when going over large bumps, thus causing the problem.

I went to my mechanic yesterday, said that the preload is set to 8", which is where it was when it came out of the box. Instructions say to change it to 7.5"s. He did not change it, took it for a test drive and said that he couldnt notice the fronts bottoming out and that making the preload 7.5" instead of 8" would only make it even more stiff.

I get an oil change in a couple weeks, might have him try the 7.5" if it doesnt get better by then and if its worse, I'll just change them back to 8" and accept the ride quality.

But given that 2 people here have said the ride quality is excellent... makes me wonder whats wrong with mine.

Question - is your preloads @ the out of box 8" or 7.5"? Also, when did you buy yours? I bought mine back in November 2011, but just installed them now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got mine in January but put them on 2 weeks ago. I still get a clunk every now and then when the car is cold, but it goes away. I actually drove into downtown NYC today on some of the worst roads ever and no clunks at all, but when it's cold (like under 10 miles/minutes) it'll clunk. I'm going back in a week or so to have the same guy that installed them install a RSB, I'll ask him about the preload een though I gave him the updated sheets from heeltoe and asked him to set them to the recommended specs in them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought mine in mid march. Preload was at 8" out the box and i did not mess with it..
Interesting

I got mine in January but put them on 2 weeks ago. I still get a clunk every now and then when the car is cold, but it goes away. I actually drove into downtown NYC today on some of the worst roads ever and no clunks at all, but when it's cold (like under 10 miles/minutes) it'll clunk. I'm going back in a week or so to have the same guy that installed them install a RSB, I'll ask him about the preload een though I gave him the updated sheets from heeltoe and asked him to set them to the recommended specs in them.
That would be great to know.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Quick update, that trip downtown yesterday must have really settled in the suspension, no clunks at all today, not even at the expected places on my daily route. Ill still update the iinstallation though in the interest of clarity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own HT-Spec V2 type I for two month. I have about 2000 miles on it now. I adjusted preload to 7.5 before installation and the ride was too stiff. It got better after two weeks a little, but i went back to preload 8.0 and like it much better.

HT-Spec Type I handles well and ride good on a smooth surface only. It is not a comfortable ride for a daily driving. I am switching to KYB shocks, which suppose to be slightly better than stock with H&R springs and an RSB.

Don't have money for Koni Yellows at this time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I own HT-Spec V2 type I for two month. I have about 2000 miles on it now. I adjusted preload to 7.5 before installation and the ride was too stiff. It got better after two weeks a little, but i went back to preload 8.0 and like it much better.

HT-Spec Type I handles well and ride good on a smooth surface only. It is not a comfortable ride for a daily driving. I am switching to KYB shocks, which suppose to be slightly better than stock with H&R springs and an RSB.

Don't have money for Koni Yellows at this time.
Makes me want to switch to A-spec... Only 1" drop but stock ride quality. This stiffness annoys me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.