Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to purchase an aftermarket alarm. I was wondering if there would be any problems the stock alarm would cause? Would the OEM immobilizer effect the aftermarket alarm? Is the immobilizer different than the Ignition kill offered by the aftermarket alarm? THANKS!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only thing your factory alarm does is honk the horn and flash the lights if a door is opened without using a key or your remote. The immobilizer is different. That uses a rolling code from a chip imbedded in the ignition key. The car senses the key when it is inserted into the ignition. It prevents someone from hotwiring the car because it will not start without the key in the ignition or without seeing the code it's looking for. An aftermarket security system can add things like a siren, shock sensor, glass break sensor, prox sensor, etc. You won't need a starter kill though. The installer will have to wire a factory alarm disarm wire to the new alarm to prevent the factory alarm from going off when you use your new aftermarket remote, but that's the only concern.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! you mentioned that the installer had to set up a wire to disarm my stock alarm while I use my aftermarket. does that mean the stock alarm has to stay in the car? cant they just remove it completely?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. So what do I need to tell the installer to help him make the install easy? Besides telling him to set up the disarm wire? My friend told me that his installer had problems finding the "brain" for the stock system. I'm basically trying to make the install as painless as possible. I dont want the installer tearing my car apart looking for things. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
65 Posts
your installer should know what they are doing without your help. if this guy is asking you questions i'd run the other way. i had a great installer and i usually went with a remote starter and alarm. unfortunately he moved from NY to NC.
As far as the stock alarm... only good its for is"trouble lassie?" anytime both alarms went off i knew some bad shit was going down, like 3 mexicans trying to tear out my HIDs at 3am!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed. If you have to tell your installer anything about your car, then he shouldn't be installing alarms. Any decent shop has access to wire databases that tells him where to find wires and what colors they are. BTW the factory disarm wire is white at the door module in the driver's door. Factory arm wire is white/red at the same spot. You might be charged extra labor because the installer is going to have to run a pair of wires into the driver's door. The door and the jamb have plastic molex plugs that have to be drilled to allow for this. Not a fun job, but an experienced installer will do it well.

·
Banned
65 Posts
radiodr said:
BTW the factory disarm wire is white at the door module in the driver's door.
Not necessary... this is the lazy way out. the wires can be accessed under drivers dash w/o taking door apart and running wires from door. my installer opened door and did that. couple months later he was adding some relays for sunroof and stuff and he changed that wiring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, that may be. I was just going off my wiring database. Just have to make sure the wires are tested by turning the key in the door before they are used.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess the toughest part is finding the RIGHT installer. I live in LA any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts