Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm planning to change all the lights in my stock head unit and HVAC and all the switches from the clear yellow stock color and the ambient blue lights to red to match my exterior. I'm pursuing the black/red theme which has worked great so far! As far as the tiny incandescent bulbs in the switches, I will either just put red covers over them or I will tint/color them red. My question is this:

Does anybody know what style of LED or bulb is used from the factory? Or what the voltage and polarity is? I know LEDs can be very sensitive to power consumption. I have pulled the circuit boards out before (about a year ago) and I remember that the lights very very closely resembled the little lights in the switches, so I'm not sure if they're LED or incandescent... And the polarity too. I suppose I could probably pull the face plate off and plug the rest in and probe it with a multimeter to find polarity and voltage/amperage, But I REALLY don't want to mess anything up.

Anybody have experience with this?

Any help will be immensely appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
The HVAC switches have what looks like normal bulbs in those brown plastic sockets, just a word of advice, they are soldered on , i broke one when i was playing around with the circuit board, ive been wanting to replace mine with a SMD LEDs but i am in the same boat as you , i do not know what the stock bulb specs are which makes it super difficult to find a replacement SMD LEDs to do this. If you happen to know how to test the polarity and the voltage / wattage of the bulbs so we can experiment post it up in here and ill grab my spare parts and play around with them ;) i already got one messed up light bulb on one of the boards and as long as i dont fry the circuit board sacrificing another bulb to find out what we need to upgrade is worth the cause to me :p

~De5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To test the voltage and polarity, take a multimeter and set it to the DC 20V scale. Touch a probe to each end of the bulb where the solder is. The lights have to have power to them which is why I mentioned having the circuit boards plugged in and the running lights on. Let's say you get 2.3V. Whichever side the red probe is on is positive and whatever the voltage is..... Is the voltage... Lol. I've seen people using 1206 surface mount LEDs on Toyotas and Scions but I'm not sure if they are different. LEDmod.com has a few options for <.50c a pop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Voltage is your problem. Most leds are in the 3v range where the standard bulbs run at 12v. So you need ones with built in regulators which make them take up more space and harder to put in those little spots.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the circuit only puts through like 2 volts or so. And LEDs can be bought with the specific voltage. I think on my next day off, I'll go ahead and pull out the boards and start probing

·
Registered
830 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the circuit only puts through like 2 volts or so. And LEDs can be bought with the specific voltage. I think on my next day off, I'll go ahead and pull out the boards and start probing
:dr: OHHHH GOD YESSSSS PLEASE DO PLEAAAAASEEEE DOOOO !!!! i would love to swap out all the lightbulbs to surface mounted leds !!! knowing what leds to use would be sooooo helpful !!!!!!!!!!

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Looking forward to this! If you can take pics of the little bulbs, I can see of I can find suitable replacements too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
150 Posts
picked up digital volt meter, will attempt to measure the voltage this weekend
sebastian you ever get around to working on this? It's freezing outside so I think I'll be pulling apart the navi harness this week. I might work on the hvac stuff too since I'm good with that kind of stuff. I have some size 74 smd leds that i think would probably work well since they are smaller than 194's

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you seen what the stock bulbs look like?
They're tiny and you would never get a LED size 74 to fit.

What you want to buy is called T3-Neo wedge LEDs.
They are a direct replacement to the tiny incandescent bulbs honda uses.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hmmm i dont think you guys would want to swap the stock bulbs out... they are soldered on board...its a PAIN in the ass with the little blue tubes that every stock bulbs there have, they are use when pressing a button n makes contact on the pcb board units...i swapped out my broken nav screen before n holly crap it was ridiculous keeping them itty bitty blue tubes in place

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
830 Posts
Back from the dead , so i just seen some work that td-civ did on his TSX and ive got to say the dude is a LED GOD lol im going to try to find out what is required for the swap. so far 5050 and 3220 SMD LEDs came up in the conversation however td-civ also mentioned reworking the HVAC Boards as oppose to soldering in resistors and something about hot spots Aragrev maybe it will make more sense to you since youre a WIRING GOD !!! LOL anyways here are some linkage....

enjoy and dont drool on yourselves !!

Little update on the tsx - YouTube

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks man there is a lot more im doing to the tsx still have to wait on that

im going for the jdm vip style but keeping it clean lol

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Wow, some of your stuff is overboard for me but it's cool that you can do all that. I wish I had the know how.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, some of your stuff is overboard for me but it's cool that you can do all that. I wish I had the know how.
if your talking about my car lol a lot of it can be shut off and when your driving you dont even see it

my gf drives the car too be see think its looks stock till all of its on lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is exactly what I want to do, but it's above my expertise level. I miss my blazer for things like this; every single light was directly plug and play. I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to redoing circuit boards lol.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Slowly working on it, i have been talking with td-civ and another person ( non member ) about getting this done right and trying to get as much detail as possible. This wont be a plug and play deal it will require soldering, its a more of an advanced level mod but simple enough to do if youre good with soldering equipment and having some understanding of electronics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Slowly working on it, i have been talking with td-civ and another person ( non member ) about getting this done right and trying to get as much detail as possible. This wont be a plug and play deal it will require soldering, its a more of an advanced level mod but simple enough to do if youre good with soldering equipment and having some understanding of electronics.
I've soldered before, but it's been a while. I'd be willing to give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts