Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the weight of the stock rims on the TSX? I want to make sure the 19" rims I get are lighter than stock.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
This was discussed a lot on "the other site," and I don't remember anybody knowing the exact answer although maybe they did.
I think the consensus was that they're in the neighborhood of 22 lb.

They're definitely relatively heavy, so whatever you get is likely to be lighter. But of course you want to make sure.

BTW: This thread definitely belongs on a "higher" forum, like General TSX Topics. It'll probably get more looks over there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i found that they were 23lbs. I want to put 19" rims on mine but don't want them to be too heavy. I also don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
If you do get lighter rims, I'll be interested in how it affects the ride and handling, and the basic feel of the car. Of course the performance would increase, but.... I've assumed that the weight of the car in general, and of the wheels in particular, are a big part of the wonderful feeling of stability and solidity in the TSX. I'd never sacrifice those things for the extra performance, even though I know the increase might be considerable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Changing wheel weight significantly can adversely affect suspension performance. In fact, reducing weight can make the car handle worse in some cases. Clearly, reducing unsprung mass is ideal, BUT the OEM suspension settings (the relationship between the spring rate and damping rate) is tuned to the unsprung weight of the suspension. Changing one without tweaking at least another can result in poor performance. That's the idea behind adjustable dampers: you should set them according to the new resonance characteristics of the suspension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts