Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a STOPTECH BBK kit in the winter? What wheels are you running with it? I'm considering getting the kit and I know my 18x8 +45 A-spec summer wheels will fit but I'm concerned about what to run in the winter.

Thanks for any advice or help with this. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With or without spacers? More importantly, are you positive?

Reason I ask is because my TL A-Spec wheels are only showing about 2-4mm of clearance using the StopTech measurement tool and they're a 18" wheel.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
Obviously they fit over the OEM Brembo calipers and I know someone running rotora bbk and they clear without spacers.

OEM TL wheels are 17x8 +45 so the spacing from the face of the caliper to the back side of the spokes should be the same as your A-spec.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I want to sound like a dick but you're pretty much the opposite of the person I want to answer this question. I need someone that knows for sure not someone who's got a buddy who has Rotora's that fit... I'm talking about the StopTech kit, Rotora has much slimmer designed calipers than StopTech and the stock brembos again have nothing to do with the size of the StopTech calipers.

The OEM TL wheels may have similar specs to my A-spec wheels but even that doesn't necessarily mean they will fit since the spoke sizes are different.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
Wow so much for trying to help. I was just putting out an idea, maybe you know someone with oem TL wheels and take 15 mins to try and fit them on your car. Anyways good luck with your findings.

Oh and you didn't sound like a dick at all

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't "put out an idea" you said any 17" TL wheels will work when you had no clue whether that was true or not. I'm sure your intentions were good but unfortunately this is the reason why so much misinformation gets passed around automotive forums.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
You didn't "put out an idea" you said any 17" TL wheels will work when you had no clue whether that was true or not. I'm sure your intentions were good but unfortunately this is the reason why so much misinformation gets passed around automotive forums.
You're right...Well now you have an idea, do as you like with it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have Stoptech BBK....and all I can tell you is the Brake calipers are huge compare to all the others. To find rims that will fit this kit you will need rims that are BBK friendly and using stock TL rims with the Stoptech it may fit, but But I am most 100% sure you will need spacers. I only say this is because i have set off 18x8.5 45et rims and I still needed spacers, but it was the spoke design that was not too BBK friendly. So its all about the spoke design clearances, you may need to test fit a Tl rim to the Stoptech rim test fit printout to see if it clears, that is your best bet.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
as stated above the caliper is pretty big so your best bet is to try out a tl-s wheel.... also the spokes got something to do with it as well...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Stoptech BBK....and all I can tell you is the Brake calipers are huge compare to all the others. To find rims that will fit this kit you will need rims that are BBK friendly and using stock TL rims with the Stoptech it may fit, but But I am most 100% sure you will need spacers. I only say this is because i have set off 18x8.5 45et rims and I still needed spacers, but it was the spoke design that was not too BBK friendly. So its all about the spoke design clearances, you may need to test fit a Tl rim to the Stoptech rim test fit printout to see if it clears, that is your best bet.
Thanks for the info!

How long have you had your kit and how is it holding up? Do you drive with it in the snow?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the info!

How long have you had your kit and how is it holding up? Do you drive with it in the snow?
My Tsx is a DD. As for snow driving, no because I live in California. I have it for 2 years now and its holding-up. The Stoptech do have day and night stopping power, but then I have upgraded suspension, sticker tires and lighter rims. One thing when it comes to cleaning them, DO NOT use any brake wheel cleaner, cause it will mess-up the clear-coat on the calipers, just use soap and water. btw its made in the USA.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
My tsx was a DD before the stoptech bbk was installed plus I drive a minivan now lol..... I live in the east coast and I deff wouldn't drive in the snow just because of the salt ... really don't want the caliper to get damaged or want the salt to damage the paint gloss on the caliper.. that's just me..... maybe someone can chime in on how does bbk withstand snow?.... they are day and night.... get some light wheels and a nice drop with some sticky tires you will deff feel the braking power and will stop on a dime... deff enjoyin the bbk setup...

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Just like coilovers the BBK will withstand the winter with some regular hose downs and maybe a light scrub once every two weeks to remove any salt sediments that would rust the caliper and cause it to potentially seize or malfunction. However I wouldn't expect 100% OEM reliability but people do run BBK's and coils here in Canada all winter long without any problems provided they're willing to do some preventative maintainance.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,037 Posts
Just get TL-S wheels, they will fit. Why would you want to ruin your BBK with winter roads anyways?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not a matter of me wanting to ruin the kit I just don't have any interest in annually removing my braking system on my daily driver. That idea seems ridiculous to me.

I see several cars from BMW, Acura, Infiniti, and Audi that come standard with a bbk and they don't seem to have an issue with snow driving. Porsche advertises their cars as snow friendly and they all have big brake kits. My car is garage stored at home (heated) and at work (not heated but underground) so it would see about 10k miles daily in the winter and it would get washed often, at least once every two weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts